Wherever I am at the moment
First Name
Larrie is
Last Name
sharing our travels with the world.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG7WDX
I live in western Oregon and am thinking of joining you as I have wanted to go to Dug Bar for a while. Before I can commit I have some questions. Are you planning on spending two nights at the bar? Are you going through Joseph and Imnaha? Is the road down doable in a full size rig? Thanks.

Reactions: PapaDave

Ebbs

Rank VI

Influencer II

Spokane, WA, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Eberhardt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0JBH
Service Branch
Air Force 02-18
I live in western Oregon and am thinking of joining you as I have wanted to go to Dug Bar for a while. Before I can commit I have some questions. Are you planning on spending two nights at the bar? Are you going through Joseph and Imnaha? Is the road down doable in a full size rig? Thanks.
So last qustion first, Absolutely doable in a full size rig. we're planning on having a few with us, and in the scouting trip a couple weeks ago I saw a Dodge Ram Dually, a Sprinter Van, 2 F250's and a coupld F150s'. not to mention several Trailers, most of those would be outside my comfort zone for one main part (switch backs near the start of the trail). but I'd pull my custom trailer (same width and lentgh as my lexus) with no second though.

As for where we're staying I dont' think we're fully decided on it just yet. I think it depends on how folks feel once we get down there and what's available. Unfortunately there aren't many places to go for the 2nd night that we've found outside of the area... so this may be two nights in Doug bar with ample oportunity to Hike the surrounding area.

Hope that entices you to come! I'd love to hear more about where you've found in your area, I grew up in Portland (before it was what it is) and have hunted in the Western Oregon area though almost strickly Starkey,Hepner, East Nothside Units so a ton to explore there for me.

Ebbs

Rank VI

Influencer II

Spokane, WA, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Eberhardt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0JBH
Service Branch
Air Force 02-18
Does anyone have a way of reheating taco meat?
Should be able to do it with any camp stove large enough for a skillet
If needs be can bring our bigger two burner stove. Just didn't want to if I didn't need

I can supply the CHEEEESE!!!!

And diced potatoes (again need to reheat)

G.Goodwin

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Explorer I

West Richland, WA
First Name
Garrett
Last Name
Goodwin
Member #

Hello everyone. New to the forum, but not overlanding. We recently upgraded out rig and wondering if we will have any issues with the talked about switchbacks in our M1087? I assume not, but I figured I would ask. If not, my wife and I will be following along, slowly. :)
Shouldn’t have any issues. Road is traveled often with trucks and trailers

Reactions: Ebbs and PapaDave

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Hello everyone. New to the forum, but not overlanding. We recently upgraded out rig and wondering if we will have any issues with the talked about switchbacks in our M1087? I assume not, but I figured I would ask. If not, my wife and I will be following along, slowly. :)
You can only come if we get to see how it looks inside!! Haha

Like Garrett said I doubt you’ll have any issues, we’ve seen people drag toy haulers down to the bottom. Idk how fully but it’s a beautiful drive

Reactions: Ebbs

Ebbs

Rank VI

Influencer II

Spokane, WA, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Eberhardt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0JBH
Service Branch
Air Force 02-18
No I don't think so, they're not super steep and room to do a three(or more )point turn. Just difficult with a long trailer as the cut corners

BasketCaseTech

Rank III

Member III

Spokane, WA, USA
First Name
jonathon
Last Name
Wiedmer
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRYM477 GMRS
Are there any permits or passes required for the trip? I mostly spend my time in WA so don't know what would be required for ID.

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
If you do decide to come make sure you RSVP so we can account for the number of rigs.

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
We are skipping the get together and just doing the trip because they’re back-to-back weekends

I also updated Post #2 on the meet up thread where we keep all the current month’s info

Luinil Explorations

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Wherever I am at the moment
First Name
Larrie is
Last Name
sharing our travels with the world.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG7WDX
Got my schedule figured out so I can join you. It will be easier for me to meet you at Dug Bar on Friday as it is a shorter drive for me to go directly there. Will bring chips, salsa, guacamole and be in our Ford van.IMG_1145.jpeg

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Got my schedule figured out so I can join you. It will be easier for me to meet you at Dug Bar on Friday as it is a shorter drive for me to go directly there. Will bring chips, salsa, guacamole and be in our Ford van.View attachment 274831
Depending on travel time you can meet us at the start of the canyon. Soon we will put up the GPX file of the route, but do what works best

Ebbs

Rank VI

Influencer II

Spokane, WA, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Eberhardt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0JBH
Service Branch
Air Force 02-18
Are there any permits or passes required for the trip? I mostly spend my time in WA so don't know what would be required for ID.
No, no passes or permets required for Hells Canyon/Dug bar.

Glad to see you'll be able to come! look forward to meeting you!

Ebbs

Rank VI

Influencer II

Spokane, WA, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Eberhardt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0JBH
Service Branch
Air Force 02-18
Got my schedule figured out so I can join you. It will be easier for me to meet you at Dug Bar on Friday as it is a shorter drive for me to go directly there. Will bring chips, salsa, guacamole and be in our Ford van.View attachment 274831
Awesome! look forward to meeting you!

Ebbs

Rank VI

Influencer II

Spokane, WA, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Eberhardt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0JBH
Service Branch
Air Force 02-18
I see our plan is to leave at 1200... since we don't know exactly where we'll camp, lots of spots were full when we were headed in, but empty headed out 2 weeks ago...we'll have to play it by ear.
Anyone who's going to leave later, send me a PM with your phone number (by Friday at 1200) or a text and I'll send our coordinates for camp from my tracker number (I think it's randomly assigned each time so can't put that here). We lose signal right at Imnaha (weak one there) and won't have it again until we return.

Last edited:

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
OK everyone I added the GPX file to download. It has the route from CDA down and it has potential meeting points in Coeur d’Alene, Lewiston, or in Joseph OR at Wallowa Lake depending on where you are coming from. Friday night camp is marked, we stayed there last year and it’s a cool spot along a small river. Dug Bar will be Saturday.

If we leave at 1 PM from Coeur d’Alene, it will be 5:30 or so by the time we get to Wallowa lake which I think is a little late so if everyone is able, the main group will takeoff at noon. That extra hour will help.

I’ve marked the location for Friday night camp because it does take some time to get in and we should be able to set up before dark. Saturday’s drive will be shorter if we can grab spots at Dug Bar Right away. On Sunday there’s a cool brewery I’ve marked if people wanna grab lunch called Terminal Gravity in Enterprise.

Next weekend I will send out an email info message that will go to just those who have officially RSVPed about final details.

BUT JUST TO CONFIRM

MARCH 15TH, NOON— LEAVE CRACKER BARREL IN COEUR D’ALENE

2:30PM POTENTIAL MEETING SPOT AT HELLS CANYON STATE PARK VISITORS CENTER

4:30PM WALLOWA LAKE PARKING LOT NORTH SIDE

FIRDAY NIGHT CAMP AS MARKED ON THE GPX FILE

Let me know if you have questions! The photo is Friday night camp, courtesy Cody aka Codeman
5D395DB0-66C4-4B9F-AC91-BBCBEB0A203C.jpeg

GPX viewer

GPX viewer

Attachments

Last edited:

Bodge Garage

Rank V
Investor

Enthusiast III

Millwood WA
First Name
Kris
Last Name
Sss
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7YI
Service Branch
Firefighter/EMT
Are we giving ourselves enough time on Friday? As the Google crow flies we are looking at just shy of 6 hours of drive time, with a group that time could expand.

Ebbs

Rank VI

Influencer II

Spokane, WA, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Eberhardt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0JBH
Service Branch
Air Force 02-18
Are we giving ourselves enough time on Friday? As the Google crow flies we are looking at just shy of 6 hours of drive time, with a group that time could expand.
It'll be a later arrival than normal to camp but nothing crazy IMO, 530 maybe 6. but folks communicating who's going to be leaving separately and who to expect at each meeting point is going to be important so we don't waste more time than needs be.

Reactions: Bodge Garage

Peregrine

Rank III

Advocate I

Idaho, USA
First Name
Darby
Last Name
Peregrine
Looks like something the doctor would order for the "hurry up spring travel itch". Would like to join if room.

I would be coming up from Boise. That makes for a 5+ hour drive to start things. Look at coming up the night before, quick overnight camp, then join. Anyone know a good spot to stop overnight coinvent to joining up?

Would also be looking at staying a few day. So possible dropping off at the first camp spot selected.

Running a full size rig with pop-top camper.