Rank I

Enthusiast I

East Aurora, NY, USA
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Meidenbauer
Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forum from a posting perspective though I've read and learned a bit from the site over the years.
A bit about me, my truck, my goals/interests.

Me - I'm newly retired, and live in the Western New York Area (WNY). My wife and I love to camp - we pull a smaller travel trailer (19ft box/~23ft overall) and typically go to campsites with no hookups like up in NY Adirondacks. After we get to a location and unhook, I like taking dirt/gravel roads and exploring. And now that I'm retired, I'd like to leave the trailer home, throw a tent in the bed of the truck and explore a bit more primitive places. My wife really isn't into that, and says "go have fun!" and since she is still working, I may regularly have a few days when I can go off exploring.

My truck. A stock 2017 Tundra with Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws. Since I don't envision me doing much hardcore offroad trips in the near term, I don't plan to build it out much further, other than adding airbags/compressor (more for the trailer) and comms. But of course, this could change.

My goals and interests. I enjoy exploring, nature photography and want to learn fly fishing. In addition to the Adirondacks, my wife and I have taken our trailer to Newfoundland, The Dakotas, Montana, Michigan's UP, Ontario's Lake Superior and such. And we plan to take a more longer trips with the trailer to NM, AZ, UT, ID, etc. However, there are a few trips that I'd like to take that my wife really doesn't have interest in. For example, when the border opens up again, one is to drive Canada's Rt 389/500 Trans-Labrador Highway from Baie Comeau, Quebec to Happy Valley/Goose Bay, NL. Another would be to drive the James Bay Road through Quebec. Closer to home, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine have some areas to explore. And I'm open to exploring traveling to places suggested by others.

Are there groups other than Overland Bound and Expedition Portal that would address the needs of a "retired old guy looking to travel"? is there a facebook group?

Thanks much...

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Hello Bob, welcome to the OB family.

Kozysnack

Rank VII
Investor

Expedition Master I

Austin, Travis County, Texas, United States
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Ely
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRNX949 is my GMRS, haven't taken my test yet but working on the HAM
Service Branch
USAF BRAT
Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forum from a posting perspective though I've read and learned a bit from the site over the years.

Me - I'm newly retired, and live in the Western New York Area (WNY). My wife and I love to camp - we pull a smaller travel trailer (19ft box/~23ft overall) and typically go to campsites with no hookups like up in NY Adirondacks. After we get to a location and unhook, I like taking dirt/gravel roads and exploring. And now that I'm retired, I'd like to leave the trailer home, throw a tent in the bed of the truck and explore a bit more primitive places. My wife really isn't into that, and says "go have fun!" and since she is still working, I may regularly have a few days when I can go off exploring.

My truck. A stock 2017 Tundra with Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws. Since I don't envision me doing much hardcore offroad trips in the near term, I don't plan to build it out much further, other than adding airbags/compressor (more for the trailer) and comms. But of course, this could change.

My goals and interests. I enjoy exploring, nature photography and want to learn fly fishing. In addition to the Adirondacks, my wife and I have taken our trailer to Newfoundland, The Dakotas, Montana, Michigan's UP, Ontario's Lake Superior and such. And we plan to take a more longer trips with the trailer to NM, AZ, UT, ID, etc. However, there are a few trips that I'd like to take that my wife really doesn't have interest in. For example, when the border opens up again, one is to drive Canada's Rt 389/500 Trans-Labrador Highway from Baie Comeau, Quebec to Happy Valley/Goose Bay, NL. Another would be to drive the James Bay Road through Quebec. Closer to home, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine have some areas to explore. And I'm open to exploring traveling to places suggested by others.

Are there groups other than Overland Bound and Expedition Portal that would address the needs of a "retired old guy looking to travel"? is there a facebook group?

Thanks much...
Hello and Welcome to Overland Bound. We'll see you out on the trails

terryg

Rank V

Pathfinder III

Nixa, MO, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Gandy
Member #

Welcome! Just do a web search on "overlanding groups" or FB search for overlanding. There are a lot out there. That said, Overland Bound is a a great start.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hi everyone,

Thanks much...
Welcome to Overland Bound
I am sure you will find what you are looking for here on the forum. And as for your build, where you go will dictate how your build direction. Dirt roads turn into two track that turn into man I wonder where that goes. Your truck will figure it out for you, just have fun from one Retired Old Guy to another. ;-)
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in the East Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
The closest Member Representative to you is @
Your Regional Director is @Nomadik Nova
Quick adult & youth Tread Lightly online awareness course.
Online Courses - Tread Lightly
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course
Check out the Overland Expo https://www.OverlandExpo.com
If you have any questions don't hesitate to message me, hopefully I can get you going in the right direction. @Kent R

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

North42

Rank I

Enthusiast I

East Aurora, NY, USA
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Meidenbauer
Dave Snyder - thanks. I know the Labrador highway is popular with motorcyclists; and we met some people who traveled it with a truck camper and they enjoyed it. Once in Goose Bay I'd like to take a ferry north to see what's to be seen.

What sort of trips are you looking at?

North42

Rank I

Enthusiast I

East Aurora, NY, USA
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Meidenbauer
Kent - thanks for the welcome and the links - I need to check them out. I agree with what you are saying about the truck (or experienced ones) guiding you. When I was in the Moosehead Lake region of Maine this past summer, I traveled on some of the gravel roads from the timber companies. I nearly got squashed by a semi carrying a load of logs. After a few miles, I decided I was ill-prepared because I had no way of knowing what trucks may be coming around the next bend. I had seen a sign about various radio channels to monitor and I had nothing compatible, so I turned around. I talked to a local guide the next day and he said I made the smart move by turning around and then he showed me the radios he uses a CB and a MURS. I had never heard of MURS before so I need to read up on it and he said that is a primary radio the logging trucks use.

Interesting..,

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Once you've explored the closer places, and you have more time, I suggest you head south to Tierra del Fuego - some of the best fly fishing in the world!

Not a very good photo - I was more focussed on the fishing : )

Argentina - 1 of 1.jpeg

Reactions: The Turtle Cruiser

Ahoward2k

Rank VI

Advocate I

Helena, Alabama, United States
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Howard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AI5FK
Service Branch
Army retired
Once you've explored the closer places, and you have more time, I suggest you head south to Tierra del Fuego - some of the best fly fishing in the world!

Not a very good photo - I was more focussed on the fishing : )

View attachment 210608
That area is gorgeous. I got to sail through the Strait of Magellan with the navy and I'd love to go back

Michael Golden

Rank VI

Explorer I

Tampa Fl
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Golden
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4BCN
Service Branch
U.S. Army
Welcome to the Overland Bound Community. Glad to have you join us.