Hello Texans

• HTML tutorial

Lakotamani

Rank 0

Traveler I

So, after a stupid 8 years I'm back in a Cherokee. I've been a camper/backpacker/mountain biker for years and I'm super excited to have found the Overland lifestyle/community! Moving on...

I've been lurking for a bit trying to find ANY overlanding opportunities in Central/East Texas and I noticed a couple threads about HWY 87. So, I pulled out Google Earth and started looking around. Well, now I have some questions! I'm hoping someone can give me advice based off wisdom or experience.

I'm building a google earth map based off 87 starting at the beginning of Sabine National Forest. I am attempting to find any and all public off road/dirt/farm/forest service roads possible and use those if they run in the same general direction of 87. One potential path starts at a Forest Road (131) and I THINK I've found a link to another road, Pete Pass.

I'm curious if anyone has traveled either "road" before and if they are genuinely public. The lack of information (on the national forest website) about forest roads, 4x4, and public off roading (outside of ATV/2X) makes me suspicious but I'm dead set on finding SOMETHING.

FR131 starts off at Texas 87 S at 31.33' 10.26" N 93.53'11.84"W

If you follow it south you'll find a dirt road close to the end called Pete Pass beginning at 31.61'28.61"N 93.52'34.73"W

This is only the beginning of my journey and I'm hoping to start scouting it in the next few weeks but I'm hoping someone has tried this already and can tell me yay or nay.

Once I've reached my post limit I'll try to post the routes I'm looking at so you folks can more easily judge and maybe even enjoy yourselves.

-Jacob

EDIT:

Got myself to the coast:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xQPxzuTT6ANCYLW9BlsTjn40I3I&usp=sharing

Last edited:
Reactions: ChrisDaniels

SilveradoTX

Rank IV

Advocate II

Welcome aboard.

Having to look at a map since I'm not familiar with the area. Found FR131. Also, found Lick Skillet Rd. that runs west from 87. That leads to Pete Pass... and now I'm thinking I need to head down there and investigate. I need to go visit family in Houston anyway... Hmm.

Last edited:
Reactions: Veggie Man

Lakotamani

Rank 0

Traveler I

I can't find White Rock but Lick Skillet Rd is connected on the south end of Pete Pass. Follow Pete Pass north and you'll hit a "dead end" with a dirt road west. It LOOKS like it connects at FR 131. I've got a few days off in a couple weeks and if my map is ready I plan on checking a lot of these roads for access.

I've also got a laundry list of roads to check farther south off 87. My goal is to build a nice "overland" route that follows 87 in general direction with the same destination, the washed out portion along the coast to see what I can see.

Here in a bit I'll try to link to my map to show you what I'm working on.

Reactions: SilveradoTX

SilveradoTX

Rank IV

Advocate II

I can't find White Rock.
White Rock is northeast of San Augustine, but I edited my first post when I realized I was looking at the wrong 131. Had to chuckle at myself. Anyway, it looks like FR131 starts east of 87 at a spot I've marked on a map to check out for a potential camping spot along the Patroon Bayou.

From the map I'm looking at (trusty ol' Google maps sat view), it doesn't look like FR131 and Pete Pass connect. But they sure are close to each other.

Definitely interested to see what you begin putting together.

Lakotamani

Rank 0

Traveler I

Moved my Google Earth map onto google maps. You can see what I have so far.

I'll upload a KML file soon if anyone wishes to view in Google Earth (highly recommended as it shows the "quality" of the "roads")

And yea, if you travel east on 131 it does look like it opens up into a VERY nice field with a VERY close creek/river that shows water on my images. I'll have to mark that too!

EDIT: Updated the share link. Gets me down the the coast, into Sabine.

EDIT 2: Uploaded a KMZ File (best viewed on Google Earth Desktop): https://www.dropbox.com/s/uwi159gm2v2okgq/HWY 87 OL.kmz?dl=0

Last edited:

Veggie Man

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Fort Worth
First Name
John
Last Name
Armstrong
Member #

Welcome aboard.

Having to look at a map since I'm not familiar with the area. Found FR131. Also, found Lick Skillet Rd. that runs west from 87. That leads to Pete Pass... and now I'm thinking I need to head down there and investigate. I need to go visit family in Houston anyway... Hmm.
HA! That makes TWO Lick Skillet Roads. The only one I knew of was the road my cousin lives on in Kentucky.

Veggie Man

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Fort Worth
First Name
John
Last Name
Armstrong
Member #

I'll upload a KML file soon if anyone wishes to view in Google Earth (highly recommended as it shows the "quality" of the "roads")

And yea, if you travel east on 131 it does look like it opens up into a VERY nice field with a VERY close creek/river that shows water on my images. I'll have to mark that too!

EDIT 2: Uploaded a KMZ File (best viewed on Google Earth Desktop): https://www.dropbox.com/s/uwi159gm2v2okgq/HWY 87 OL.kmz?dl=0
So after looking at the route it looks like this could easily be a lazy two day drive barring any issues. The total mileage does not appear to be that much. What concerns me is the abundance of private lands in Texas which could make this journey a challenge. However, I would be interested in driving it with you depending upon when you want to make the trip. Since I am coming from North Fort Worth it would be something I would have to plan for. Keep me posted on your progress.

SilveradoTX

Rank IV

Advocate II

HA! That makes TWO Lick Skillet Roads. The only one I knew of was the road my cousin lives on in Kentucky.
I've got family from Lexington down to London and west to Campbellsville. Small world.

So after looking at the route it looks like this could easily be a lazy two day drive barring any issues. The total mileage does not appear to be that much. What concerns me is the abundance of private lands in Texas which could make this journey a challenge. However, I would be interested in driving it with you depending upon when you want to make the trip. Since I am coming from North Fort Worth it would be something I would have to plan for. Keep me posted on your progress.
I second that.

Reactions: Veggie Man

ZetRocks

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder III

Kingwood
First Name
Shannon Keith
Last Name
Cortez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K15AQN
So, after a stupid 8 years I'm back in a Cherokee. I've been a camper/backpacker/mountain biker for years and I'm super excited to have found the Overland lifestyle/community! Moving on...

I've been lurking for a bit trying to find ANY overlanding opportunities in Central/East Texas and I noticed a couple threads about HWY 87. So, I pulled out Google Earth and started looking around. Well, now I have some questions! I'm hoping someone can give me advice based off wisdom or experience.

I'm building a google earth map based off 87 starting at the beginning of Sabine National Forest. I am attempting to find any and all public off road/dirt/farm/forest service roads possible and use those if they run in the same general direction of 87. One potential path starts at a Forest Road (131) and I THINK I've found a link to another road, Pete Pass.

I'm curious if anyone has traveled either "road" before and if they are genuinely public. The lack of information (on the national forest website) about forest roads, 4x4, and public off roading (outside of ATV/2X) makes me suspicious but I'm dead set on finding SOMETHING.

FR131 starts off at Texas 87 S at 31.33' 10.26" N 93.53'11.84"W

If you follow it south you'll find a dirt road close to the end called Pete Pass beginning at 31.61'28.61"N 93.52'34.73"W

This is only the beginning of my journey and I'm hoping to start scouting it in the next few weeks but I'm hoping someone has tried this already and can tell me yay or nay.

Once I've reached my post limit I'll try to post the routes I'm looking at so you folks can more easily judge and maybe even enjoy yourselves.

-Jacob

EDIT:

Got myself to the coast:

Nice! You'll enjoy old 87 (that is it in my member photo over my hood). There are even some areas to Road "rock" crawl where the washed out portions that meet the beach are high enough to be challenging. Take care to watch out for the old broken metal guard rail posts in some areas if you hop on and off the "road" and beach. I've passed a few that look big and rusty enough to take out a tire.

Its been a couple of years since I was down there, but a fun off the beaten path drive for sure. Funny old story is that years back (mid 90s or so) rumor had it that a nudist group would go down that area. I will say that I have seen a few stragglers over the years driving that part of the coast so I don't doubt it. Its never what you want to see however. Never is... Hahaha.

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

Typically the little county roads will just have cattle guards at the property lines. If you have to open a gate you are probably some place you aren't supposed to be

DATW

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Houston, TX
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Conrad
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5UOK

Have you run this route yet or just mapped it for a future run?

gtoombs

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Austin, TX 78721
Member #

Excited to hear updates here. Anything new or different than the proposed route?

Likewise... Looks like he made it to the coast, but not much of a report on trail conditions or problems with private land. Any update?

I'm looking for a shorter trip, near Austin, and this may be it!