Rank I

Member I

Gilbert, Arizona, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Gericke
Member #

I'm an avid off-roader and my weekend toy is a 2004 Jeep Rubicon. I sold my daily driver, a 2017 VW GTI, and decided that I wanted to get something that could carry camping equipment, handle unpaved roads as well as act as a daily driver. Well, I bought a used 2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium with the CVT. I know it's probably not the first vehicle choice someone in the overlanding community would make, but I don't always go along with what is popular. Honestly, if I had it my way, I probably would have gotten a Toyota Tacoma or Pathfinder. I've never owned a Subaru before and I've always been a fan of the Outback. (I'm not exactly sure why, but I've always had a love for hatchbacks and station wagons.)

So, here I am. My wife and I like to camp and get away, so we are both excited with this direction. I'm not the kind of guy who can leave anything alone, so upgrades and modifications WILL be happening as time and finances allow. I have more time than money, so I'll just have to be as patient as I can. :)

I look forward to learning more about overlanding and the community behind it!

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I'm an avid off-roader and my weekend toy is a 2004 Jeep Rubicon. I sold my daily driver, a 2017 VW GTI, and decided that I wanted to get something that could carry camping equipment, handle unpaved roads as well as act as a daily driver. Well, I bought a used 2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium with the CVT. I know it's probably not the first vehicle choice someone in the overlanding community would make, but I don't always go along with what is popular. Honestly, if I had it my way, I probably would have gotten a Toyota Tacoma or Pathfinder. I've never owned a Subaru before and I've always been a fan of the Outback. (I'm not exactly sure why, but I've always had a love for hatchbacks and station wagons.)

So, here I am. My wife and I like to camp and get away, so we are both excited with this direction. I'm not the kind of guy who can leave anything alone, so upgrades and modifications WILL be happening as time and finances allow. I have more time than money, so I'll just have to be as patient as I can. :)

I look forward to learning more about overlanding and the community behind it!
Welcome to Overland Bound
Nothing wrong with the Subbie there are a large number of members with them in the community. When the going gets a little rougher the TJ works great!
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in the Southwest Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
The closest Member Representative is @Prerunner1982
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Tread Lightly | Online Courses
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course

Reactions: Prerunner1982

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Hello Matt, welcome from Oklahoma.
Kent already covered the usual links but I will add that pre-pandemic there was a meet up in Gilbert so when things start to return to normal keep an eye out for that as hopefully they will pick back up.
Let me know if you have any questions.