Hello from the Road to Alaska

• HTML tutorial

twiget

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

On the Road
Member #

Hey all, I'm currently working my way North from New Mexico to Alaska in my 2013 Silverado, AKA Freddy. I originally started this trip on a KLR-650, but after nearly two months, and over 8,000 miles traveled, the bike was not performing as expected and I had reached my limit. Time for a change of plans. I was in Colorado Springs when I decided my bike and I were done, so I hopped on I-25 and was home 8 hours later.

Overkill, my 2017 KLR

I set out in my Silverado about a week ago and I'm currently in Portland. I even managed to hit a fair amount of dirt along the way. I did the last section of the NMBDR on the first day. Engineer Pass through the Rockies was next, and I attempted Imogine Pass the day after that. There was one spot on Imogine that I could not past, so I had to back track and find another way to get to Telluride. Not too shabby for a largely stock Chevy.

Freddy and I at the top of Engineer Pass

On Monday I'll continue North along the WABDR.

Originally, I was going to ride my bike from Alaska to Ushuaia Argentina and back. My mode of transportation may have changed but the overall goal has not; I still intend on getting down to Ushuaia.

I joined this forum because I want to build my truck up into a more capable overland rig that I can live out of for extended periods of time. I spent over a year researching my bike choice and what farkles I was going to add to it before I even bought the bike. After that, I spent 2 months building and testing the bike before I left. I don't have that luxury with Freddy. I'm probably going to be doing this build on the road, so I'm open to suggestions.

Freddy on Imogine Pass, shortly before we had to turn around

Performance wise, he is bone stock, with the exception of a leveling kit. I also put on a set of 265/70R-17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac's for this trip. The tires have been awesome so far.

Daniel Etter

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

Welcome to the group! There are some Silverado owners on here that I'm sure will provide some knowledge for you! Good luck with your trip and build!

Reactions: twiget

Jake Wettern | iamjake

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Member #

Hey all, I'm currently working my way North from New Mexico to Alaska in my 2013 Silverado, AKA Freddy. I originally started this trip on a KLR-650, but after nearly two months, and over 8,000 miles traveled, the bike was not performing as expected and I had reached my limit. Time for a change of plans. I was in Colorado Springs when I decided my bike and I were done, so I hopped on I-25 and was home 8 hours later.

Overkill, my 2017 KLR

I set out in my Silverado about a week ago and I'm currently in Portland. I even managed to hit a fair amount of dirt along the way. I did the last section of the NMBDR on the first day. Engineer Pass through the Rockies was next, and I attempted Imogine Pass the day after that. There was one spot on Imogine that I could not past, so I had to back track and find another way to get to Telluride. Not too shabby for a largely stock Chevy.

Freddy and I at the top of Engineer Pass

On Monday I'll continue North along the WABDR.

Originally, I was going to ride my bike from Alaska to Ushuaia Argentina and back. My mode of transportation may have changed but the overall goal has not; I still intend on getting down to Ushuaia.

I joined this forum because I want to build my truck up into a more capable overland rig that I can live out of for extended periods of time. I spent over a year researching my bike choice and what farkles I was going to add to it before I even bought the bike. After that, I spent 2 months building and testing the bike before I left. I don't have that luxury with Freddy. I'm probably going to be doing this build on the road, so I'm open to suggestions.

Freddy on Imogine Pass, shortly before we had to turn around

Performance wise, he is bone stock, with the exception of a leveling kit. I also put on a set of 265/70R-17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac's for this trip. The tires have been awesome so far.
Hi, Twiget and welcome to OB! Nice Rig! Safe travels man and enjoy the open road!

Reactions: twiget