Rank I

Enthusiast I

The Netherlands
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Weetikveel
Hi folks!

We are a couple living in the Netherlands.

We looked for a while for a camper van but none of them didn't suited my taste. Until my girlfriend showed a picture of van which I knew from when I traveled in Ukraine.
After some searching we found one and got it recently registered in the Netherlands.

We bought an old Soviet Russian van called UAZ 452 for called Buhanka (which means loaf) from 1967. It's a very spartan ride! Has a low compressions 2,4L four banger petrol engine which runs on the worst petrol you can find.
Has non syncro gearbox and takes loads of work to drive. But does has 2 or 4wd drive and high low gearing. But soon the van will get a modern 2,7L injection engine and synchronized 5 speed box to get it driving easy. Since it has proper off road capability it would be a great over lander and thats why I found this website.

Hope to have a nice stay on this forum :)

Attachments

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hi folks!

We looked for a while for a camper van but none of them didn't suited my taste. Until my girlfriend showed a picture of van which I knew from when I traveled in Ukraine.
After some searching we found one and got it recently registered in the Netherlands.

We bought an old Soviet Russian van called UAZ 452 for called Buhanka (which means loaf) from 1967. It's a very spartan ride! Has a low compressions 2,4L four banger petrol engine which runs on the worst petrol you can find.
Has non syncro gearbox and takes loads of work to drive. But does has 2 or 4wd drive and high low gearing. But soon the van will get a modern 2,7L injection engine and synchronized 5 speed box to get it driving easy. Since it has proper off road capability it would be a great over lander and thats why I found this website.

Welcome to Overland Bound
Our Mid Europe Regional Director is @Robert OB 33/48 who is in the Netherlands He can get you additional help or information.
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Tread Lightly | Online Courses
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Hi folks!

Hello

Welcome to the Forum, but most of all welcome to the community.

If I can help with questions, and providing info I am happy to do so.

Just go to the Europe section of this forum to find more specific info about Europe.

You will find nearly everything on the forum in generall about Overlanding. So just dive in and have fun.

Join us also in the whatsapp group for Mid Europe and our Facebook page.

Facebook Groups

Europe Overland Bound

Enjoy your stay here and I hope to see you somewhere out on a track/event.

Greetings from Robert

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hi and welcome to the community!

Great overlanding rig! I like the Buhanka! Enjoy!

If you like, please join our virtual Mid Europe campfire. We established this virtual meet-up in these times where we cannot meet in person. Just a videochat with like minded people and good talks. The next one will be Friday, 29th January 8PM CET. You can find all details in the Rally Point:

Cheers, Björn

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
I am curious about that conversion with the 2.7l injection engine and synchronized 5 speed box. Would you like to tell a little more about it? That would be super cool! Thanks!

NotGumby

Local Expert Germany
Investor

Influencer II

Frankfurt, Germany
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Vinnie
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran 11B 54E
Welcome to Overland Bound! Be sure to check the Rally Points for upcoming meets in the spring. Hope to meet you at one or the other.

Rick

Reactions: UAZ-Boris

UAZ-Boris

Rank I

Enthusiast I

The Netherlands
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Weetikveel
I am curious about that conversion with the 2.7l injection engine and synchronized 5 speed box. Would you like to tell a little more about it? That would be super cool! Thanks!

Sure! These vans originally came with a 2.4L carburetor engines which could run on bad gas as octane 70 and sits between the fronts seats. And these vans are still being produced in Russia still today! With minor updates last couple years. One of those updates was a new 2.7 Liter engine with injection with euro3 or euro4 emissions requirements. Also the gearbox has been updated to a synchronized 5 speed somewhere in those years.

The engine now is junk, loads of oil leaking, mayonnaise at the oil cap and dipstick and under powered. Could rebuild the engine I mean.. they are damn though engines that still somehow keep running. But since we are planing to make longer distances, a new stronger modern engine with injection seems to me a better idea. No fooling around with stubborn carburetors etc. And a 5 speed to reduce engine rpm noise on highway's is also a must.

Attachments

Reactions: El-Dracho

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Thanks! So you swapped the 8 ventile 4 cylinder engine in which comes with the newer Buhankas. Now I understand. Reading about a modern 2.7l injection engine brought somehow a mighty 6 cylinder diesel or something similar in my mind and I got very excited ;-)

I really like the Buhanka and think it is a great overlanding vehicle. In Russia you see plenty of them allday. Have you made a camper conversion inside?

UAZ-Boris

Rank I

Enthusiast I

The Netherlands
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Weetikveel
Thanks! So you swapped the 8 ventile 4 cylinder engine in which comes with the newer Buhankas. Now I understand. Reading about a modern 2.7l injection engine brought somehow a mighty 6 cylinder diesel or something similar in my mind and I got very excited ;-)

I really like the Buhanka and think it is a great overlanding vehicle. In Russia you see plenty of them allday. Have you made a camper conversion inside?

Haha no nothing with huge power. The 2,7L has power enough. We are slowly starting it to a camper. But it needs loads of repairs first.

phlfly

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Vadim
Last Name
Zubkov
Member #

Wow this is UAZ were very slow as remember , the one with hood was a little better still . The mech gear level is all over place as I remember .
It brings me memory back from time as I lived in Russia .

Reactions: UAZ-Boris

UAZ-Boris

Rank I

Enthusiast I

The Netherlands
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Weetikveel
Wow this is UAZ were very slow as remember , the one with hood was a little better still . The mech gear level is all over place as I remember .
It brings me memory back from time as I lived in Russia .

Yep haha! That's why we are upgrading to newer engine and gearbox. Gearbox lever now is like a spoon in a big soup bowl.

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

We had those in Romania during communism when I was a kid. My father had one at his job. In the summer it was hell in them, on top of the normal heat with no AC you had the bloody heat form the engine, we had like 4 blankets on top of it to try to insulate it. IN the winter it was great.. :)
I would suggest some sound proofing as well..

Last edited:

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Hi folks!

Hello Glenn, a warm welcome from Phoenix Az, looking forward to watching your build of your vehicle, lovely country side in the picture.