Hello from southwest Ohio!

• HTML tutorial

TheWayWeWander

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

SW, OH
Member #

Figured I'd introduce myself, I'm Adam from southwest Ohio. Picked up my first Jeep, a '97 TJ back in October and found this site while researching the TAT. Fairly new to the overlanding/ car camping but this place has already been a wealth of knowledge so thank you to all those who post. Haven't done any trips in the jeep yet but planning a trip to the Daniel Boone Backcounty Byway in May and a trip to Ourey/ Telluride, CO in September. Looking forward to more reading on the forum and hopefully able to contribute a bit as well!

Reactions: Chadlyb

Welding Goats

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Midland, TX, USA
First Name
Ronn
Last Name
Reeger
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRXB227
Welcome to the forum from West Texas. I picked up a '99 TJ about 10 months ago. It has turned into my "run around town" vehicle as I don't trust the engine to survive much longer.

Your trip planned for May sounds exciting, as does the one in September. Good luck with both of those adventures.

TheWayWeWander

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

SW, OH
Member #

Welcome to the forum from West Texas. I picked up a '99 TJ about 10 months ago. It has turned into my "run around town" vehicle as I don't trust the engine to survive much longer.

Your trip planned for May sounds exciting, as does the one in September. Good luck with both of those adventures.
Thanks for the welcome! I might be a bit optimistic/ naïve about taking the jeep to CO as it has 220k on the clock but the 4.0 runs like a dream, planning to stick to county rds and state highways though so maybe avoiding the interstates will help lol. My wife and I both want to take a trip to Texas soon, we love the Texas/ red dirt country music and want to get down and see Cody Jinks, Randy Rogers and a few others

Welding Goats

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Midland, TX, USA
First Name
Ronn
Last Name
Reeger
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRXB227
Thanks for the welcome! I might be a bit optimistic/ naïve about taking the jeep to CO as it has 220k on the clock but the 4.0 runs like a dream, planning to stick to county rds and state highways though so maybe avoiding the interstates will help lol. My wife and I both want to take a trip to Texas soon, we love the Texas/ red dirt country music and want to get down and see Cody Jinks, Randy Rogers and a few others
I've got a little over 192k on the little 2.5L ... We'll see how long it lasts.

If your going to come all the way to Texas to see Jinks, Rogers or others, you'd be just close enough to turn it into a trip to Big Bend NP. :-)

Reactions: TheWayWeWander

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Figured I'd introduce myself, I'm Adam from southwest Ohio. Picked up my first Jeep, a '97 TJ back in October and found this site while researching the TAT. Fairly new to the overlanding/ car camping but this place has already been a wealth of knowledge so thank you to all those who post. Haven't done any trips in the jeep yet but planning a trip to the Daniel Boone Backcounty Byway in May and a trip to Ourey/ Telluride, CO in September. Looking forward to more reading on the forum and hopefully able to contribute a bit as well!
Hello Adam and welcome to the OB crew...great adventure platform. Look forward to seeing your build and your adventures.

trovilcl

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Welcome fellow buckeye!!!
After owning 5 jeeps with the 4.0 in it. I would suggest doing a good tune up before going. That, and getting some replacement sensors such as the crankshaft position sensor and the camshaft sensor as well. I think another common problem would be the knock sensor, located on the driver side of the engine near the bottom. Keep spare U-joints and baby that dana 35. Good luck buddy and welcome to the forum.

TheWayWeWander

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

SW, OH
Member #

Welcome fellow buckeye!!!
After owning 5 jeeps with the 4.0 in it. I would suggest doing a good tune up before going. That, and getting some replacement sensors such as the crankshaft position sensor and the camshaft sensor as well. I think another common problem would be the knock sensor, located on the driver side of the engine near the bottom. Keep spare U-joints and baby that dana 35. Good luck buddy and welcome to the forum.
Welcome as well! Really appreciate the advice on spare sensors and u-joints. Only running 31’s for now and don’t plan to go more than 33’s so I’m thinking the d35 should hold up, the passenger side frame has a saf-t-cap so I don’t plan on beating on it, just cruising back roads and mild passes

trovilcl

Rank II

Enthusiast II

I've never really had any experience with the saftcaps. My last wrangler rotted out near the driver upper and lower control arm. I actually broke the frame while crawling it. Great jeep, had 536k on original engine.
But, yeah I wouldn't go to hard on that ole dana 35. I have a XJ right now that has a Ford 8.8 rear end. I'm still thinking about selling the ram and just using the money to build the XJ up. IDK

TheWayWeWander

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

SW, OH
Member #

The saf-t-caps are pretty decent from what you can tell but this is my first Jeep and first time dealing w/ them. It’s solid and I have no doubts about pavement and even mild-moderate trails, but I’d say if you beat it on the rocks or bury one to the frame in mud and start jerking on it, you’re not gonna have a good time. I know what you mean about selling the ram, I’ve got a 06 Cummins that I’m on the fence about selling to fund the Jeep, a couple other things and maybe just get an old square body Chevy as I can’t really do without a truck but don’t quite NEED the diesel at this point, even if it is nice towing w/ it

mjherron

Rank V

Member III

Smithville, Missouri, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Herron
Member #

Welcome to Overland Bound from Missouri! You check out the Midwest Region Forum and their Facebook page for more information for our area.