Launch Member

Contributor III

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Trueba
Member #

Hey y’all! Just wanted to introduce myself to the group. Just picked up a 2020 4Runner off-road (no kdss) premium 2 weeks ago. This is my first auto transmission vehicle so I’m still getting adjusted to the whole not having a clutch as it’s become second nature for me to shift gears haha. I’m new to overlanding but have been camping since I can remember all over New Mexico and west Texas. I needed a more suitable vehicle for myself and my pup (pic attached). Original plan was to keep the car stock and just enjoy it for a few months, but being the car guy that I am I lasted a whole 2 days before giving in to the mod bug. Current parts that have been ordered are King 2.5” complete suspension, JBA upper control arms, SCS wheels and some bigger tires.

I’ll be driving from San Antonio Tx to Phoenix AZ during the week of thanksgiving so if y’all have any recommendations on cool places to camp or visit let me know. Looking forward to learning and excited to be a part of the group.

DSC01151.jpg

Reactions: RickLB

tw1st3d5

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Florissant, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Kee
Member #

Welcome from Georgetown, TX. Great looking pup you have there! The 4runner is great for hauling dogs and camping. We typically take 2 and sometimes 3 40-60# dogs with us when we camp and there is plenty of room in it.

Reactions: Danthefitman

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Hello Daniel, welcome from Oklahoma.

You are in the Southwest Region. Check out the Southwest Region sub-forum for local information and involvement opportunities.

Here is the link to the forum calendar and Meet-Up event page: Overland Bound Meetups
Or to check out what other members are planning go here: Overland Trip Planning

I am the SW Region Member Rep so if you have any questions let me know.
If you are on Facebook feel free to join us there as well, Overland Bound – Southwest.

Reactions: Danthefitman

Danthefitman

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Trueba
Member #

Welcome from Georgetown, TX. Great looking pup you have there! The 4runner is great for hauling dogs and camping. We typically take 2 and sometimes 3 40-60# dogs with us when we camp and there is plenty of room in it.
Agreed it is perfect for those things. I used to camp out of my Subaru wrx but was only ever able to camp alone since the pup took up the entire back seat along with my gear.

Danthefitman

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Trueba
Member #

Hello Daniel, welcome from Oklahoma.

You are in the Southwest Region. Check out the Southwest Region sub-forum for local information and involvement opportunities.

Here is the link to the forum calendar and Meet-Up event page: Overland Bound Meetups
Or to check out what other members are planning go here: Overland Trip Planning

I am the SW Region Member Rep so if you have any questions let me know.
If you are on Facebook feel free to join us there as well, Overland Bound – Southwest.
Awesome! I’ll be sure to check that out!

Danthefitman

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Trueba
Member #

I assume you will be taking I-10 all the way there.
White Sands in NM isn't too far off that path.
Correct. I’ll be sticking to I-10 for the majority of the trip down. Plan is to stop in El Paso to visit the parents then start my way down to Phoenix. White sands sounds like a great spot to camp at. Totally forgot about that spot!

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Only camping at White Sands requires at least a 1 mile hike into the dunes however there is a camp ground just NE of Las Cruces called Aquirre Springs Rec Area or the Lincoln National Forest is about an hour further east of White Sands and allows dispersed camping.