Rank 0

Contributor I

Keswick, Georgina, ON, Canada
First Name
Cameron
Last Name
Sturgess
Hi all
new to overlanding, we started with a sprinter converted by airstream. Found it was more looks and less substance. Awesome vehicle for highways but the first dirt road ended up dragging plumbing parts mounted under the truck. Decided on a more capable rig. Looked at buying a production truck however found the business model of the builder precludes customization despite costing $400,000 USD. Loved the size and platform so decided to take the plunge and build a truck. Bought a dump truck. Drove it across the country to have a box professionally installed on a sub frame that allows articulation. Just wrapping up the truck build and hoping that we are allowed to travel this summer to Newfoundland then Baja next winter. We are based north of toronto and would love to meet up with like minded individuals. Lots of pics of truck on Facebook. Happy to share my knowledge of solar, lithium, diesel heating systems and plumbing with the group. Would love to know others with expedition trucks as not sure we will fit down a trail that a Jeep can navigate. Cameron

Attachments

Rath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Manitoba, Canada
First Name
Rath
Last Name
Adventures
Member #

welcome! That's a super unique and awesome rig you've got yourself! Lookig forward to more photos

Reactions: Extreme

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

Hi Cameron. Welcome ... and nice build! There are quite a few of us in this area and there have been a couple of parking lot meets (Bass Pro & Cabela's). I also understand there is an overlanding show of some sort on September 19 at the agricultural complex in Thornton. I haven't heard much about it lately and can only hope that given all that's going on it's still going to happen.

Charlie Toner

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Cobourg, ON, Canada
First Name
Charlie
Last Name
Toner
Member #

Awesome build! Hoping on the Sept 19 happening, but understand that it will be scaled down if it happens at all. We are all looking at a shortened season as it is.

On the up side we have more time to work on our "projects"

Extreme

Rank 0

Contributor I

First Name
Cameron
Last Name
Sturgess
Thanks all for the warm welcome Would love to meet up at least virtually until we can do so in person.

here are some more pics. It’s still in progress :)

some details if folks want.

2010 Fuso fg140 manual 4x4 high and low range locking diff
swapped 32 inch duellys for 37 super singles
Upgraded suspension
750w solar
600ah lithium
3000 w inverter
Induction cook top
Filtered drinking water
Interior water tank 50 gal
Exterior fresh water 25
Grey 25
All tanks underneath are shrouded in custom aluminum shields
Planar diesel heat
Dual hot water heaters one solar driven one diesel driven.
composting toilet
Isotherm fridge
Freezer in storage bay
Warn 16.5 winch
Onboard dual air compressors
Corbeau seats
Custom center console
Custom passthru with insulated fabric barrier that zips in and out
cB radio
HAM ???? Need to pass license or GMRS ??
Custom bull bar and roof rack
Skylight
Max air fan
Tern windows and door
Box is by total composites. 2-3 inches thick foam and fiberglass structure.
Custom aluminum storage boxes hung under body
Dual rear back up cam. Dash cam.
wifi booster. Cell booster
Queen bed with storage underneath.
AC built into rear cabinets (runs off lithium’s)
Outside and inside shower
Custom rack at back for spare tire and bikes.

it’s been a tone of work and really satisfying. I’ve gotten better at everything from TIG welding aluminum to sewing cushions / passthru. Spraying lacquer seems daunting at first but now it’s second nature

it anyone wants help with a build I’m happy to lend a hand. Pretty well versed on all of the above because I did it and learned a lot along the way. Seems like it’s a good project during covid lockdown

Attachments

Reactions: WanderingWinters

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

A lot of nice details. Well thought out and executed. The pass through for example is well done and I like the way it accepts the table when not in use. You're close by so I have to ask if you source some of your materials here in the "big" city of Newmarket? lol. My task this week is to hunt down some steel tube for my current trailer build. I just hope my usual supplier (MegaSteel) is open.

Extreme

Rank 0

Contributor I

First Name
Cameron
Last Name
Sturgess
happy to hear you've had better experience with mega steel. The owner wanted to charge me $500.00 to bend the stairs for the truck. I drove to barrie and had it done for $60. I don't use a lot of steel, mostly aluminum and I get that from ASA Alloy, they deliver in two days and it is 1/3 the cost of Home Depot or princess auto, only downside is they deliver in 24 foot length so I need to cut it first before it comes in garage :) if you want some aluminum tubing and angles I have some left over.

Extreme

Rank 0

Contributor I

First Name
Cameron
Last Name
Sturgess
A lot of nice details. Well thought out and executed. The pass through for example is well done and I like the way it accepts the table when not in use. You're close by so I have to ask if you source some of your materials here in the "big" city of Newmarket? lol. My task this week is to hunt down some steel tube for my current trailer build. I just hope my usual supplier (MegaSteel) is open.
your trailer is awesome !!! love the build quality and ideas you have. :)

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

happy to hear you've had better experience with mega steel. The owner wanted to charge me $500.00 to bend the stairs for the truck. I drove to barrie and had it done for $60. I don't use a lot of steel, mostly aluminum and I get that from ASA Alloy, they deliver in two days and it is 1/3 the cost of Home Depot or princess auto, only downside is they deliver in 24 foot length so I need to cut it first before it comes in garage :) if you want some aluminum tubing and angles I have some left over.
I've had my ups and downs with them but they've been pretty good at filling small orders when I need it. Most of my orders are small. I did have some aluminum bent, again a small order so it was fairly painless. I definitely stay away from the Home Depot and Princess Auto metal departments unless I'm desperate. I have not mastered aluminum yet but I am thinking of a teardrop build with an aluminum body frame. I may take you up on some left overs!

Thanks! Sort of sad story about the trailer in my signature. My wife lost all interest in tent camping and we bought a teardrop trailer to get up off of the ground. I was OK with that and I'm having a good time modifying the new trailer. I am repurposing my off road trailer so I can still do all of the things "I" want to do with it but it won't include camping with her. It will still haul kayaks and bikes but I'm modifying it for ATV and possibly snowmobile use too. It will replace a utility trailer I built (and will sell) so it will look "cool" for my trips to Home Depot, the dump and chasing down Jeep parts. It's all good!

tmarvosh

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Henderson NV
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Marvosh
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AI7ER
Hi all
new to overlanding, we started with a sprinter converted by airstream. Found it was more looks and less substance. Awesome vehicle for highways but the first dirt road ended up dragging plumbing parts mounted under the truck. Decided on a more capable rig. Looked at buying a production truck however found the business model of the builder precludes customization despite costing $400,000 USD. Loved the size and platform so decided to take the plunge and build a truck. Bought a dump truck. Drove it across the country to have a box professionally installed on a sub frame that allows articulation. Just wrapping up the truck build and hoping that we are allowed to travel this summer to Newfoundland then Baja next winter. We are based north of toronto and would love to meet up with like minded individuals. Lots of pics of truck on Facebook. Happy to share my knowledge of solar, lithium, diesel heating systems and plumbing with the group. Would love to know others with expedition trucks as not sure we will fit down a trail that a Jeep can navigate. Cameron
That thing is a beast! Looks like fun.

WanderingWinters

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Yeppoon QLD, Australia
First Name
Ewan
Last Name
Winter
Member #

If you’re ever after steel let me know. I sell steel for a living. I’m based in Orillia but we can possibly deliver.

Reactions: Canadian Joe

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

If you’re ever after steel let me know. I sell steel for a living. I’m based in Orillia but we can possibly deliver.
Thanks. My usual supplier here in town just reopened to the public and I picked up some square tube this week for a trailer I'm building. I appreciate the offer but my needs are small probably not worth the travel, although I used to go to Orillia often, love it up there!

WanderingWinters

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Yeppoon QLD, Australia
First Name
Ewan
Last Name
Winter
Member #

Thanks. My usual supplier here in town just reopened to the public and I picked up some square tube this week for a trailer I'm building. I appreciate the offer but my needs are small probably not worth the travel, although I used to go to Orillia often, love it up there!
Big or small happy to help out an OB member. Keep it in mind should the need arise. Hope to se you on the trail once we’re able
To get back out there!

Extreme

Rank 0

Contributor I

First Name
Cameron
Last Name
Sturgess
Hi all. Thanks for the warm welcome. The rig is pretty much done And we would love to get out and test out some of its off road abilities. Any suggestions on where a newbie to 4x4 can find some trails that would be suitable ? We live in keswick but will drive to a trail. all Suggestions appreciated. Happy to show you the rig in person if you care to give trail tour

Reactions: WanderingWinters