Hello From NY! History And Future Goals

• HTML tutorial

Traveler I

NY
Well, hello there!

Glad to be a part of this forum! It's been a while for me since I've geared up for any expedition, and to see how vast the overlanding community has grown puts a big smile on my face!

Current Rig:
-2003 Subaru Forester. Mainly stock and will remain this way as I save up for my future setup.

Previous Rigs:
- 1976 Chevrolet C-10
-1988 YJ Wrangler
-1997, 2000 TJ Wranglers
-1996, '97, 2x '98, '99, XJ Cherokee Sports
-1997, '98 Jeep ZJ Cherokees
-2001 Dodge QC Dakota
- 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle ( though I drove this often to go hiking, it did not see any trails, don't worry)

Future Rig ( Depending on funds and what is available at the time):
-Full / Mid size pickup. Soft spot for Dodge and Toyota, though the JT Wrangler Pickup may be promising in the coming years.

About Me:
Avid hiker, craftsman, typical 6 foot bearded outdoorsman. Photography hobbyist. Loads of various skills, interests and experiences!

History:
Started buying, modifying, wheeling and selling vehicles since I was 13. Had a soft spot for Jeeps as you can tell. Bought them stock, built them up how I'd like, drive them, get bored, sell them, repeat.

Did that throughout high school while waiting for my ship date to Parris Island to fulfill my Active Duty Infantry contract with the USMC. Unfortunately, due to a non-problematic back issue, my contract got cut and so that was the end of my military career, just before it even began. Continued modding while working full time landscaping/construction, but decided to stop for a bit after a gnarly car accident.

Two incredible years later I had randomly developed a very extensive blood clot just before my 21st birthday, that spread from beneath my knee to my upper abdominal area. It was an insane experience that went without answers or reasons for 3 years. From this, it impacted my life greatly. Limiting my time driving, travelling, and hiking. Many trips were put on hold, but many were also seen through because It's very difficult for me to not do what fulfills me.

Fast forward a few years, I started my own furniture business and had that going for a while, during which I was also working at a local zoo and a high end outdoor sporting goods store.

Decided it was time for a major life change. I had been off blood thinners for over 1.5 years, and was told to act as if it never happened, which is also not in my nature to ignore anything. Regardless, I knew it was time to leave my situation in NY for many reasons.

So I stopped my business, sold or gave away 98.7% of my material belongings, bought some boots, filled a backpack with my laptop, journals, photography gear, extra clothes and I was off!

Unfortunately at age 23, on my first day gone I woke up on the train after a 6 hour ride and collapsed. Went to the hospital to be treated for another extensive blood clot that went from my upper thigh, up into my lower abdominal area, across my waist, and down my other upper thigh.

Was given the green light by the doctors, filled up on my new blood thinner medication ( that I'll now be on for life) and continued on my journey. Walked a very small portion of the California coast, going from San Francisco, up through the Marin Headlands, the Redwoods, back and forth for about a month until I went over to Hawaii.

Got to Hawaii where I stayed for about a month working odd jobs and trying to get my medical in order. Unfortunately the medical didn't work out with necessary timing or my overall situation. Got myself back to NY and I've been running around getting myself setup again ever since!

If you're still with me, that brings me to my current goal:

-Buy and mod a full size truck fit for general overlanding.
-Go across the country through the states again. I'll be driving from NY, hitting hot spots along the way, up towards Washington, and then up through B.C.

Very excited to make this next trek!

I hope to keep you all ( and myself) updated as often as I can! Still figuring out my medical, and what to do now for a career change so it may be a slower process than preferred, but I'll get there!

I look forward to seeing all of your mods, setups, stories and tips. Ever since I found this forum It's always been a blast to check out the content, which is always a constant flow of inspiration!

-LWNW

Reactions: Chadlyb

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
Welcome from Austin, TX. You have owned some great vehicles. In your opinion: how does the forester stack up to the other vehicles you have owned?

Reactions: livewithnoworries

Traveler I

NY
Welcome from Austin, TX. You have owned some great vehicles. In your opinion: how does the forester stack up to the other vehicles you have owned?
Thanks for the welcome!

Personally, I love it the most, as far as SUVs I've owned.

-Has just as much if not more interior space than my Cherokees did.
-Closer to the road so it was much easier on turns, and being smaller it really moves a lot quicker. Ride is also a LOT smoother.
-The AWD has been incredible on the snow, mud, sand etc., and it matches or out performs the Jeeps 4wd setup
-MPG's is great. I get around 20-25mpg. My first road trip I averaged over 30mpg Hwy, which was 50% to 100% more than I ever got in any of my previous vehicles which was cool. I spend far less, for far more range.

I'm looking towards a truck again mainly because the trip I have planned needs a bit 'more'. Power, ground clearance, durability when on the trails with all the weight, etc. That and the fuel efficiency of these newer trucks is getting to be incredible, and should just about match my current Subaru. If I had the money I'd seriously consider going diesel, but that all depends on the market when the time comes and how long until I'd see a cost return.

Diggin' your JKU! Probably my dream setup way back when, color scheme and all.

Jake Wettern | iamjake

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Member #

Well, hello there!

Glad to be a part of this forum! It's been a while for me since I've geared up for any expedition, and to see how vast the overlanding community has grown puts a big smile on my face!

Current Rig:
-2003 Subaru Forester. Mainly stock and will remain this way as I save up for my future setup.

Previous Rigs:
- 1976 Chevrolet C-10
-1988 YJ Wrangler
-1997, 2000 TJ Wranglers
-2001 Dodge QC Dakota
- 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle ( though I drove this often to go hiking, it did not see any trails, don't worry)

-Full / Mid size pickup. Soft spot for Dodge and Toyota, though the JT Wrangler Pickup may be promising in the coming years.

About Me:
Avid hiker, craftsman, typical 6 foot bearded outdoorsman. Photography hobbyist. Loads of various skills, interests and experiences!

History:
Started buying, modifying, wheeling and selling vehicles since I was 13. Had a soft spot for Jeeps as you can tell. Bought them stock, built them up how I'd like, drive them, get bored, sell them, repeat.

Did that throughout high school while waiting for my ship date to Parris Island to fulfill my Active Duty Infantry contract with the USMC. Unfortunately, due to a non-problematic back issue, my contract got cut and so that was the end of my military career, just before it even began. Continued modding while working full time landscaping/construction, but decided to stop for a bit after a gnarly car accident.

Two incredible years later I had randomly developed a very extensive blood clot just before my 21st birthday, that spread from beneath my knee to my upper abdominal area. It was an insane experience that went without answers or reasons for 3 years. From this, it impacted my life greatly. Limiting my time driving, travelling, and hiking. Many trips were put on hold, but many were also seen through because It's very difficult for me to not do what fulfills me.

Fast forward a few years, I started my own furniture business and had that going for a while, during which I was also working at a local zoo and a high end outdoor sporting goods store.

Decided it was time for a major life change. I had been off blood thinners for over 1.5 years, and was told to act as if it never happened, which is also not in my nature to ignore anything. Regardless, I knew it was time to leave my situation in NY for many reasons.

So I stopped my business, sold or gave away 98.7% of my material belongings, bought some boots, filled a backpack with my laptop, journals, photography gear, extra clothes and I was off!

Unfortunately at age 23, on my first day gone I woke up on the train after a 6 hour ride and collapsed. Went to the hospital to be treated for another extensive blood clot that went from my upper thigh, up into my lower abdominal area, across my waist, and down my other upper thigh.

Was given the green light by the doctors, filled up on my new blood thinner medication ( that I'll now be on for life) and continued on my journey. Walked a very small portion of the California coast, going from San Francisco, up through the Marin Headlands, the Redwoods, back and forth for about a month until I went over to Hawaii.

Got to Hawaii where I stayed for about a month working odd jobs and trying to get my medical in order. Unfortunately the medical didn't work out with necessary timing or my overall situation. Got myself back to NY and I've been running around getting myself setup again ever since!

-Go across the country through the states again. I'll be driving from NY, hitting hot spots along the way, up towards Washington, and then up through B.C.

I hope to keep you all ( and myself) updated as often as I can! Still figuring out my medical, and what to do now for a career change so it may be a slower process than preferred, but I'll get there!

I look forward to seeing all of your mods, setups, stories and tips. Ever since I found this forum It's always been a blast to check out the content, which is always a constant flow of inspiration!

-LWNW
Hi LWNW and welcome to OB! Nice rig! Thank you for your service! Safe travels and enjoy those open roads!

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Well, hello there!

Current Rig:

Previous Rigs:
- 1976 Chevrolet C-10
-1988 YJ Wrangler
-1997, 2000 TJ Wranglers
-2001 Dodge QC Dakota

About Me:

History:

-LWNW
Hello LWNW and welcome to the OB crew...looking forward to seeing your build and adventures