Hello from N America's Great Outback

• HTML tutorial

Bert Fox

Rank 0

Traveler I

NV, USA
I live in the far NE corner of NV. Wells is the crossroads of I 80 and US 93. We are approx 50 miles from ID and 50 miles from UT. We are on the CA Trail and the Historic Central Pacific Railway. We are near where the Pony Express crossed the Great Basin enroute to San Francisco. We are home to some of the country's largest cattle ranches. We are called the Silver State. we were brought in to the union in 1864 because the Union needed all the money from NV silver mining. We have one of the sparsest populations. Currently if NV was ranked internationally as a country, we would be the 4th largest producer of Gold in the world. We are nearly 90% federal lands. We are the most mountainous state in the lower 48. We have over 400 mountain ranges.
All of this to illustrate the vast amount of dirt two track roads we have, most all unencumbered of private land and locked gates. Due to all of the activities that took place, both past and present, we have 1000s of miles of places to explore. One could spend a lifetime exploring a NV they never knew existed.
In fact, I have. I am 65 years old and have been exploring offroad in NV since I was a young boy, driving around NV with my Dad, an avid outdoorsman, in our 1960 Willy's wagon.
Today I offer offroad tours for UTV and ATV vehicles. We can ride dirt from the ID border to the AZ border and sleep in motels and eat in cafes. What's not to love about Overlanding in NV? I do most of my travels in my Polaris Ranger. Both multi day and one day trips. Sometimes solo exploring trying to piece together a route to take others on at a future date. My alternative vehicle is RAM 1500 4x4 pickup, complete with offroad package and plenty of emergency accessories and provisions. I don't get too far from NV because I don't have to to have a multi day extravaganza.
I arrived at this forum because I am trying to learn about navigating with a tablet instead of my too small and hard to read screen on my handheld Garmin gps unit. We are almost always out of cell signal once we get away from the I 80 corrider that crosses N NV from Reno to SLC, UT. I am following the dedicated threads in the Navigation forum. I am learning new things, sometimes by trial and error! Thanks for the format and for offering such good topics!
Bert Fox

Last edited:

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

I live in the far NE corner of NV. Wells is the crossroads of I 80 and US 93. We are approx 50 miles from ID and 50 miles from UT. We are on the CA Trail and the Historic Central Pacific Railway. We are near where the Pony Express crossed the Great Basin enroute to San Francisco. We are home to some of the country's largest cattle ranches. We are called the Silver State. we were brought in to the union in 1864 because the Union needed all the money from NV silver mining. We have one of the sparsest populations. Currently if NV was ranked internationally as a country, we would be the 4th largest producer of Gold in the world. We are nearly 90% federal lands. We are the most mountainous state in the lower 48. We have over 400 mountain ranges.
All of this to illustrate the vast amount of dirt two track roads we have, all unencumbered of private land and locked gates. Due to all of the activities that took place, both past and present, we have 1000s of miles of places to explore. One could spend a lifetime exploring a NV they never knew existed.
In fact, I have. I am 65 years old and have been exploring offroad in NV since I was a young boy, driving around NV with my Dad, an avid outdoorsman, in our 1960 Willy's wagon.
Today I offer offroad tours for UTV and ATV vehicles. We can ride dirt from the ID border to the AZ border and sleep in motels and eat in cafes. What's not to love about Overlanding in NV? I do most of my travels in my Polaris Ranger. Both multi day and one day trips. Sometimes solo exploring trying to piece together a route to take others on at a future date. My alternative vehicle is RAM 1500 4x4 pickup, complete with offroad package and plenty of emergency accessories and provisions. I don't get too far from NV because I don't have to have a multi day extravaganza.
I arrived at this forum because I am trying to learn about navigating with a tablet instead of my too small and hard to read screen on my handheld Garmin gps unit. We are almost always out of cell signal once we get away from the I 80 corrider that crosses N NV from Reno to SLC, UT. I am following the dedicated threads in the Navigation forum. I am learning new things, sometimes by trial and error! Thanks for the format and for offering such good topics!
Bert Fox
Hello Bert and welcome to the OB crew....look forward to seeing your adventures.

Reactions: Bert Fox

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
QUOTE="Bert Fox, post: 290323, member: 33996"]I live in the far NE corner of NV. Wells is the crossroads of I 80 and US 93. We are approx 50 miles from ID and 50 miles from UT. We are on the CA Trail and the Historic Central Pacific Railway. We are near where the Pony Express crossed the Great Basin enroute to San Francisco. We are home to some of the country's largest cattle ranches. We are called the Silver State. we were brought in to the union in 1864 because the Union needed all the money from NV silver mining. We have one of the sparsest populations. Currently if NV was ranked internationally as a country, we would be the 4th largest producer of Gold in the world. We are nearly 90% federal lands. We are the most mountainous state in the lower 48. We have over 400 mountain ranges.
All of this to illustrate the vast amount of dirt two track roads we have, most all unencumbered of private land and locked gates. Due to all of the activities that took place, both past and present, we have 1000s of miles of places to explore. One could spend a lifetime exploring a NV they never knew existed.
Today I offer offroad tours for UTV and ATV vehicles. We can ride dirt from the ID border to the AZ border and sleep in motels and eat in cafes. What's not to love about Overlanding in NV? I do most of my travels in my Polaris Ranger. Both multi day and one day trips. Sometimes solo exploring trying to piece together a route to take others on at a future date. My alternative vehicle is RAM 1500 4x4 pickup, complete with offroad package and plenty of emergency accessories and provisions. I don't get too far from NV because I don't have to to have a multi day extravaganza.
Bert Fox[/QUOTE]

Welcome to Overland Bound! Bert I probably already sent you this info but here it is just in case.

Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planing page for trips being planed by members.
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/forums/overland-bound-meetups.24/
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/forums/overland-trip-planning.21/

Our local meet-up is coming to your area for our November trip, its not totally planed out but Im working on it. Ill advise when it gets closer maybe we can meet-up with you.
If you have any questions message me on the forum @Kent R