Hello from Grand Junction, CO

• HTML tutorial

SWSteury

Rank 0

Traveler I

Just moved out west, we love it!

Current setup 2017 Landcruiser and 2016 Tacoma.

Really excited to start a project.

Wife and three kids.

Want to do a roof top tent.

Deciding between 2018 jeep wrangler, maybe diesel?, defender maybe wait until they come to US 2018,older land cruiser etc...

Mainly want to drive to remote hikes on 4x4 trails to remote hikes etc...

Any suggestions?

Jake Wettern | iamjake

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Member #

Just moved out west, we love it!

Current setup 2017 Landcruiser and 2016 Tacoma.

Really excited to start a project.

Wife and three kids.

Want to do a roof top tent.

Deciding between 2018 jeep wrangler, maybe diesel?, defender maybe wait until they come to US 2018,older land cruiser etc...

Mainly want to drive to remote hikes on 4x4 trails to remote hikes etc...

Any suggestions?
Hello SWSteury and welcome to OB! Nice rigs! Safe travels and enjoy those open roads!

Reactions: SWSteury

SWSteury

Rank 0

Traveler I

lol, I know a little counterintuitive

Landcruiser is the daily family car for trips, skiing etc

Tacoma is my every day driver. I am wanting to convert my everyday driver to an overland project to throw the family in and go. Deck out with roof top tent, drawers, kitchen etc that wouldn't be practical for our everyday family car. My Tacoma is currently a limited version, so 4x4 capability is limited. Bought it before we moved to Colorado.

Jeep looks like a lot of fun for short camp trips and top down driving etc... Part of me likes other options too such as an older landcruiser, defender, etc. but reliability of an older vehicle in the middle of the mountains with kids makes me nervous.

Really torn

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Hello....and welcome...you can't go wrong with an older Toyota or Jeep if you find one that is someone's grocery getter and has great service records...parts are everywhere and reasonable in price. Just some friendly advice from a classic car junky...

SWSteury

Rank 0

Traveler I

Thanks for the reply. I test drove a Jeep last night. I think with the ages and number of my kids that a larger vehicle is the way to go. I love our Land Cruiser and have always been a Toyota fan. Really leaning toward older LC.

Any advice on specific year/model of older Land Cruiser in regard to performance and reliability? Thanks!!

Anchor Mtn

US Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

Thanks for the reply. I test drove a Jeep last night. I think with the ages and number of my kids that a larger vehicle is the way to go. I love our Land Cruiser and have always been a Toyota fan. Really leaning toward older LC.

Any advice on specific year/model of older Land Cruiser in regard to performance and reliability? Thanks!!
Welcome to OB!!

We are right in Fruita and can help you with that Roof Top Tent and anything else you need.

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR

I'll take an older Toyota over a new Jeep any day of the week, but I'm a little biased!

A 100 series Landcruiser should be readily available, as well as a Lexus GX470. The GX is under-valued right now but won't be that way much longer when the populous figures that out.

...and when @Anchor Mtn says he will help you, he doesn't mean he will just sell you what you need, he will actually help you with choices, products, whatever you need. That's my n=1 experience, but he is stellar.

Dan.