Traveler I

Yuma, AZ, USA
First Name
johnny
Last Name
pyles
Member #

Hello All,
New guy here, currently residing in Jacksonville NC, and missing Arizona more by the day! Long time Jeeper turned Toyota guy (kids have a way of doing that). Grew up spending most of my time outdoors and taking most of it for granted. I have always hiked and remote camped, but never put much thought into the vehicle that got me there, until I got the 4runner and started doing some research and came across this thing called "Overlanding". As a retired Marine and avid outdoor enthusiast, I figured this is straight up my alleyway. I am not getting any younger and I still love off roading, so I really think overlanding could provide that balance. My family and I are planning to move back to Yuma soon and are looking forward to getting back out on the trails (this time in something a little more comfortable). Hope I see you all out there!
Cheers,
-JD

Lead K9

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Franklin Park, Illinois
First Name
Lead
Last Name
Dog
Member #

Welcome from the Windy City! I have a couple kids and a couple dogs and that hasn't stopped me from remaining a Jeeper. Just had to get an Unlimited to accommodate everyone. :)

usmcjtac

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Yuma, AZ, USA
First Name
johnny
Last Name
pyles
Member #

Haha, I tried that. Sold the old YJ and got a new JKU and the wife still complained that the doors wouldn't stay open when she was trying to put the baby in (to be fair, she had a point). I do miss it, and will probably get another (TJ) when we get back to Arizona, but I really do love the comforts of the 4runner.

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Hello All,
New guy here, currently residing in Jacksonville NC, and missing Arizona more by the day! Long time Jeeper turned Toyota guy (kids have a way of doing that). Grew up spending most of my time outdoors and taking most of it for granted. I have always hiked and remote camped, but never put much thought into the vehicle that got me there, until I got the 4runner and started doing some research and came across this thing called "Overlanding". As a retired Marine and avid outdoor enthusiast, I figured this is straight up my alleyway. I am not getting any younger and I still love off roading, so I really think overlanding could provide that balance. My family and I are planning to move back to Yuma soon and are looking forward to getting back out on the trails (this time in something a little more comfortable). Hope I see you all out there!
Cheers,
-JD
Hello JD and welcome to the OB crew...always happy to add another Toy to the group and look forward to seeing your build and adventures. .thank YOU for your service and sacrifice. .

J100Roaming

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler III

Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Pfeiffer
Member #

Hello JD and welcome to the OB crew...always happy to add another Toy to the group and look forward to seeing your build and adventures. .thank YOU for your service and sacrifice. .
I’m here in Jacksonville currently working on building out my Land Cruiser.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Chadlyb

usmcjtac

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Yuma, AZ, USA
First Name
johnny
Last Name
pyles
Member #

I’m here in Jacksonville currently working on building out my Land Cruiser.

That wouldn't happen to be a white and grey 100 series with the Carolina Overlanders sticker would it? That truck is sweet. Saw it at Stevensons the other day. I have the white 4runner with the Vader and Storm Trooper decals on the side windows.

J100Roaming

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Tim
Last Name
Pfeiffer
Member #

No mine is white I have not seen the Grey one, I wonder who that is. I know a guy on Instagram that is in Snead Ferry with one that has Boundless Overland all down the side with a black hood, base color is silver or grey. There is also one of the Rock Creek Guys in Holly Ridge/Surf City with a white 4 Runner that's has the Rock Creek Logo all down the side. I have seen you on the road before! Mine is none discript at the moment other than the BFG's and no running boards it looks stock still. I've only had it a month. Once my title and plate come in I am going to get the Pisgah Preservation Society License Plate and get J100 on it so that will make me a bit more identifiable until I get a roof rack, sliders and a lift sorted.

usmcjtac

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Yuma, AZ, USA
First Name
johnny
Last Name
pyles
Member #

No mine is white I have not seen the Grey one, I wonder who that is. I know a guy on Instagram that is in Snead Ferry with one that has Boundless Overland all down the side with a black hood, base color is silver or grey. There is also one of the Rock Creek Guys in Holly Ridge/Surf City with a white 4 Runner that's has the Rock Creek Logo all down the side. I have seen you on the road before! Mine is none discript at the moment other than the BFG's and no running boards it looks stock still. I've only had it a month. Once my title and plate come in I am going to get the Pisgah Preservation Society License Plate and get J100 on it so that will make me a bit more identifiable until I get a roof rack, sliders and a lift sorted.
Nice, I will have to track that other one down and stop him some time and tell him about OB. I always see him on my side of town (Piney Green). I think I have seen the Rock Creek 4runner a couple times. I have my eye on an old 80 series here in town, but not sure if I want to take on the project before heading back west. I finally got the front of mine leveled out and added TRD Pro wheels and blacked out the emblems to match the Storm Trooper theme!

Reactions: J100Roaming

J100Roaming

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Tim
Last Name
Pfeiffer
Member #

Nice, I will have to track that other one down and stop him some time and tell him about OB. I always see him on my side of town (Piney Green). I think I have seen the Rock Creek 4runner a couple times. I have my eye on an old 80 series here in town, but not sure if I want to take on the project before heading back west. I finally got the front of mine leveled out and added TRD Pro wheels and blacked out the emblems to match the Storm Trooper theme!
Commented on the mountain bike page too. Sounds like we need to meet up some time!

usmcjtac

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Yuma, AZ, USA
First Name
johnny
Last Name
pyles
Member #

Commented on the mountain bike page too. Sounds like we need to meet up some time!

Absolutely. I will be on travel the rest of this month and mid way through March, but I'll give you a shout when I'm back in town. We can always throw the bikes in the back of my truck and you can ride on with me. They only check the drivers ID anyway.