Traveler I

Englewood, Colorado 80112, United States
First Name
Nico
Last Name
Forcatto
Member #

Hey everyone,

I already introduced myself, but I didn't have photos of my rig yet. So here she is! I just purchased her about 2 months ago, so I look forward to getting her ready for next spring.

1997 Ram 1500
- 5.9L Magnum V8
- 5 inch lift (terrible)
- Re-geared to 4.56's
- 16in Icon Alloy rims wrapped in 35in Mastercraft MT's

DSC_0001.jpg DSC_0002.jpg DSC_0003.jpg

Attachments

Reactions: ob4838 and Chadlyb

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Welcome dodgeoffroad,
That is a nice looking truck! That should work well for overlanding! Benz.

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

Hello: nice rig. Have you done any of the trails up your way? There are some nice ones like Pickle gulch and Bunce school house. They are a little south of Fo Co. But much closer for you than the ones down south off I-70

Reactions: Roam_CO85

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

There are a bunch of trails west of foco and south of here and i70. I am from foco it has alot of cool areas. But colorado has a pile of trails. That bunse school road is fun!

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

There are a bunch of trails west of foco and south of here and i70. I am from foco it has alot of cool areas. But colorado has a pile of trails. That bunse school road is fun!
Yeah I have run bunce with about 20 inches of snow in some areas of the trail. Great times! One of these days I would like to continue on to t-33 plane crash trail. On my bucket list. Probably will camp a couple of days and try to explore more in the area.

4runnerOffroad

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

First Name
Nico
Last Name
Forcatto
Member #

Hello: nice rig. Have you done any of the trails up your way? There are some nice ones like Pickle gulch and Bunce school house. They are a little south of Fo Co. But much closer for you than the ones down south off I-70
Unfortunately no. I am looking to do just an over night trip up to some places that are close to be but I don’t know where to go really. Preferably some trails that are long with some technical areas but can be done easily. Any recommendations?

4runnerOffroad

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

First Name
Nico
Last Name
Forcatto
Member #

Where do you recommend for a long trail that takes about a day to get to good camping on all dirt trails? Day in, camp, day out kind of trip.

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

Where do you recommend for a long trail that takes about a day to get to good camping on all dirt trails? Day in, camp, day out kind of trip.
Where in Colorado are you from? There are a bunch I really cant recommend just one. There are a few that I do in the winter to bring some challenge to the trail. Here is a forest website that has them broken down by ranger districts. I am near the canyon lakes ranger district. Did the old flowers road this last weekend. It took all day but didnt camp just was a day trip. That bunce trail is cool. Like the other fella said. It has an old plane crash that you can walk around in and see it just sprawled out there. Around red feather. You get alot of atv traffic on those trails being so close to town but you can normally get away from them the higher you go. The ones around idaho springs and central city are cool too. You come across alot of mining history

https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/arp/recreation/ohv/?recid=28024&actid=94

Last edited:

4runnerOffroad

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

First Name
Nico
Last Name
Forcatto
Member #

Where in Colorado are you from? There are a bunch I really cant recommend just one. There are a few that I do in the winter to bring some challenge to the trail. Here is a forest website that has them broken down by ranger districts. I am near the canyon lakes ranger district. Did the old flowers road this last weekend. It took all day but didnt camp just was a day trip. That bunce trail is cool. Like the other fella said. It has an old plane crash that you can walk around in and see it just sprawled out there. Around red feather. You get alot of atv traffic on those trails being so close to town but you can normally get away from them the higher you go. The ones around idaho springs and central city are cool too. You come across alot of mining history

https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/arp/recreation/ohv/?recid=28024&actid=94
I had a 7 hour flight delay last night at so I mapped out a route from Fort Collins all the way to Eaton reservoir all on dirt roads. I’ll post it below. Tell me what you think. It makes sense in my head. Hopefully it does to y’all as well.

Start in Fort Collins
Go west on Harmony over Horsetooth
Reseviour
Continue straight onto Buckhorn road
Left onto Ballard
Straight onto Greer road
Left at first fork
Right at first fork
Left at first fork
Left when road comes to T
Left onto buckhorn rd
Right onto Pingree park road
Right onto Pingree road
Left onto poudre canyon road
Right onto N Co Rd 69
Left onto Seven mile creek
Stay straight
Left onto manhattan rd
Left onto red feather lakes rd
Left onto deadman rd
Right onto Pearl Beaver rd
Stay left at fork
Straight onto S CO rd 169
Left onto Cherokee park rd ***
straight onto owl spring rd

Or take left fork after left onto Cherokee park
2nd left
First right

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

I had a 7 hour flight delay last night at so I mapped out a route from Fort Collins all the way to Eaton reservoir all on dirt roads. I’ll post it below. Tell me what you think. It makes sense in my head. Hopefully it does to y’all as well.

Start in Fort Collins
Go west on Harmony over Horsetooth
Reseviour
Continue straight onto Buckhorn road
Left onto Ballard
Straight onto Greer road
Left at first fork
Right at first fork
Left at first fork
Left when road comes to T
Left onto buckhorn rd
Right onto Pingree park road
Right onto Pingree road
Left onto poudre canyon road
Right onto N Co Rd 69
Left onto Seven mile creek
Stay straight
Left onto manhattan rd
Left onto red feather lakes rd
Left onto deadman rd
Right onto Pearl Beaver rd
Stay left at fork
Straight onto S CO rd 169
Left onto Cherokee park rd ***
straight onto owl spring rd

Or take left fork after left onto Cherokee park
2nd left
First right
Ive done that before expect the Ballard road part. Buckhorn canyon is cool and 44h up to the Ballard road and back into there. If you run through Laporte and take a left at the Y just past verns place and travel up to rist canyon to stove prairie go past the stove prairie school. That turns into old flowers road that’ll take you to pingree road as well. It has less turns and the flowers road is modest its less maintained dirt road youve gotta travel. you get to pingree and to colo 14 and roll to rustic and run up to 7mile. That pearl beaver is a good trip too. I started flowers road by 12pm last friday and was to pingree road by 3? Run over and 7mile doesnt take to long. . The ballard road is one that I do alot in the winter. Old flowers has a really steep hill you have to watch out for. Winter time isnt much fun if you dont have chains. 7 mile sense its close to a highway gets a Alot of traffic. Its a fun loop though if you do it that way your wanting to you wont be disappointed.

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

The pot belly there in red feather has good burgers or a good place to tip a few back. Storm mountain has a entrances off buckhorn rd as well. Its only open i think during hunting season but gives that trail an easy access but it is noramlly a day trip.

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

Unfortunately no. I am looking to do just an over night trip up to some places that are close to be but I don’t know where to go really. Preferably some trails that are long with some technical areas but can be done easily. Any recommendations?
I am not very familiar with the northern part of the state. But have done a few runs up near Lyons. Like MSV, Bunce and Pickle Gulch. The reason I asked is with a full sized truck a lot of the trail I do with my XJ are just to tight. And I wouldn't want to tear up a nice rig like yours having no choice but to go over obstacles that would do just that. I would love to go up and explore the Red Feather lakes area and camp over night. I kind of want to do some easier trails that don't beat the ***** out of you and ur rig if you know what I mean? And also my wife will go with me if it's not rock crawling and not to many terrifying shelf roads. I am getting to the point where I just want to explore and relax in a nice setting. I like the Idea of being close enough to Rocky Mountain National park as to access it for day hikes.

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

I am not very familiar with the northern part of the state. But have done a few runs up near Lyons. Like MSV, Bunce and Pickle Gulch. The reason I asked is with a full sized truck a lot of the trail I do with my XJ are just to tight. And I wouldn't want to tear up a nice rig like yours having no choice but to go over obstacles that would do just that. I would love to go up and explore the Red Feather lakes area and camp over night. I kind of want to do some easier trails that don't beat the ***** out of you and ur rig if you know what I mean? And also my wife will go with me if it's not rock crawling and not to many terrifying shelf roads. I am getting to the point where I just want to explore and relax in a nice setting. I like the Idea of being close enough to Rocky Mountain National park as to access it for day hikes.
I dont do any rock crawling trails or anything to crazy being in a full size. Do some research before I go into a place I dont know real well. Dont like taring thing up at all. Seems like there is alot of that in the wheeling crowd where they like testing limits. If it gets to bad most likely turn around. My main jam is to just go easy and explore. Lyons is a cool area to head west from.

Have you ever done the poll hill road west of loveland that takes you up into Estes park? Its not real bad. If your wife likes estes its nice to grab a bite to eat an do youre thing up there with the fam and head back. Red feather has alot of stuff that connects to different areas. Going over dead man to sand creek than over to chambers lake over the laramie river rd. Can see the rawahs. Alot of the trails in red feather are pretty modest most of them are logging roads so they can handle a experienced semi driver if it hasnt been to washed out. Kelly flats is the one I stay away from. It is pretty expert. Green ridge road gets tight but its not to bad.

RUNNERSR514

Rank I

Contributor III

I have a 2014 SR5 4x4.
i have a basic lift( OME Springs, Bilstein on all 4)
General Grabber AT2 285/70/17

i am trying to prepare for a 12 to 14 day trip from Fort Campbell, Ky to Colorado springs, Ouray, and Moab Utah.

What things are recommended to get and bring along with me. i am new to the overlanding world but very interesting in starting. I take small off roading trips with a friend of mine in georgia and thats about it.

Budget is small right now because not trying to spend an arm and leg. Probably going to camp and possibly stay in a hotel also, depending on what the wife wants to do or what she is comfortable with.

I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out and i look forward to speaking with all of you. Can't wait to get started in my overlanding journey.

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

I dont do any rock crawling trails or anything to crazy being in a full size. Do some research before I go into a place I dont know real well. Dont like taring thing up at all. Seems like there is alot of that in the wheeling crowd where they like testing limits. If it gets to bad most likely turn around. My main jam is to just go easy and explore. Lyons is a cool area to head west from.

Have you ever done the poll hill road west of loveland that takes you up into Estes park? Its not real bad. If your wife likes estes its nice to grab a bite to eat an do youre thing up there with the fam and head back. Red feather has alot of stuff that connects to different areas. Going over dead man to sand creek than over to chambers lake over the laramie river rd. Can see the rawahs. Alot of the trails in red feather are pretty modest most of them are logging roads so they can handle a experienced semi driver if it hasnt been to washed out. Kelly flats is the one I stay away from. It is pretty expert. Green ridge road gets tight but its not to bad.
We really like the Rocky Mnt National park and surrounding areas. In fact we are going to rent a cabin on the shore of Shadow Mnt. For a family get together next Sept. There is so much do do and see in that region. I want to find locations that I can car camp off grid so we can explore the area without having to pay for lodging, I am so tired of day trips that consist of driving in traffic from south denver spending 3-6 hours and having to drive back home in traffic again. Went down to Ouray and didn't spend a dime on campsites or lodging for 4 days / three nights just used the hot springs pool facilities to clean up and relax half way threw. I would like to do the same up north.

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

We really like the Rocky Mnt National park and surrounding areas. In fact we are going to rent a cabin on the shore of Shadow Mnt. For a family get together next Sept. There is so much do do and see in that region. I want to find locations that I can car camp off grid so we can explore the area without having to pay for lodging, I am so tired of day trips that consist of driving in traffic from south denver spending 3-6 hours and having to drive back home in traffic again. Went down to Ouray and didn't spend a dime on campsites or lodging for 4 days / three nights just used the hot springs pool facilities to clean up and relax half way threw. I would like to do the same up north.
Yeah lodging gets expensive pretty quick an the day trips I totally get that I like the longer stuff that you get into that you can camp at just explore and relax. Few weekends a go we ran over to the steamboat area and explored that area. Was gonna go through the gorr pass area but that fire was still burning outside of kermling.

The stuff in the south western part of the state are a bit longer and more off the grid than alot of the close ones here. And the close ones you get so much traffic and atv use that its really hard to find a place to enjoy a quite night. The higher altitude stuff really amaze me. Above tree line and back under tree line to camp for the night. There are places to make a whole two three day trip in the north part though.

Id like to find a older model tacoma and maybe build it for just overland trips. I use my full size for what a pickup is used for and dont really mind some tree branch scrapes here and there but the size definitely plays a issue on some of the more scenic trails. The GF and I spend alot of our off time in Rocky Mountain National Park its more enjoyable in the fall and winter months cus of less tourists but its fun. Do alot of snowshoeing trips in the winter and its pretty close to run up there. A cabin off that lake would be neat!