Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Newport, RI, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Azbill
Member #

Stumbled across some Overland Bound videos recently in preparation for my family's move to CA later this year and instantly became hooked. I currently live in Clarksville, TN (45 min from Nashville) with my wife, two boys (6 & 8), and two girls (4 & 9). We love to travel but really have no experience with overloading, other than basic camping. My two boys and I are all about it, but the wifey and two daughters still prefer the comforts of a hotel room...for now, at least. I'm working on her and think I'm making some progress, or so she would have me believe! haha

I have a 2012 Land Rover Discovery 4 with no modifications. However, the following are my current/future projects:

1) GOBI Stealth Rack w/ adjustable cross bars: purchased and picking up in August during my trip out west.
2) Superwinch Tiger Shark 9500lbs & Terrafirma Discreet Winch Mount: just received both last week and will start install in the next few weeks. Have several links/blogs from OB and others regarding install instructions. I will keep a log w/pics on my install process/progress to help the community, because I know I couldn't do the repairs/mods I have done on my cars without communities like this!
3) Rock Sliders: Looking at the Proud Rhino Rock Sliders from Lucky 8 because they also cover the AMK Compressor housing. Does anyone have any experience with these or Proud Rhino products?
4) On the fence about lift kit.

I'm excited about being a member and look forward to our first outing!

jazzy13

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Newport, RI, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Azbill
Member #

Hello and welcome from the uk
Thanks Roger352! Just out of curiosity, do you have a Land Rover? I spent a good amount of time browsing the ProSpeed website for my Discovery 4...and I am curious, if you have a LR, what are your thoughts on ProSpeed's products?

Roger352

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

, Cornwall PL17 , United Kingdom
First Name
Roger
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Thanks Roger352! Just out of curiosity, do you have a Land Rover? I spent a good amount of time browsing the ProSpeed website for my Discovery 4...and I am curious, if you have a LR, what are your thoughts on ProSpeed's products?
I run a D1 300 tdi last of the easier vehicles to work on, it was a very basic model without to much electronics. I'm sorry I've never had anything to do with prospeed so I would not be able to comment.

jazzy13

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Newport, RI, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Azbill
Member #

I run a D1 300 tdi last of the easier vehicles to work on, it was a very basic model without to much electronics. I'm sorry I've never had anything to do with prospeed so I would not be able to comment.
No worries, and a D1 300 is a great vic, very few places you can't go!

Justcozz

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Alabama
Member #

Welcome! Clarksville has a ton of semi-local opportunities for exploration.

If you are getting your kids and family into exploring and overlanding, a local trip may be a good litmus test. The Tennessee Dirt Devil can be driven in a day and you'll be able to sleep in your own bed or you can camp. It's mostly just county roads south of Nashville that traverse some of the local backroads. I like to take beginners on this trail because it can get them used to riding the roads and navigating. There are enough water crossings and old farm scenes to keep their interest for the day but is manageable in a completely stock vehicle of any type. Might be worth a look.

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
Welcome from Austin, TX. I spent time in Clarksville when I served at Ft Campbell, loved it...

jazzy13

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Newport, RI, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Azbill
Member #

Welcome! Clarksville has a ton of semi-local opportunities for exploration.

If you are getting your kids and family into exploring and overlanding, a local trip may be a good litmus test. The Tennessee Dirt Devil can be driven in a day and you'll be able to sleep in your own bed or you can camp. It's mostly just county roads south of Nashville that traverse some of the local backroads. I like to take beginners on this trail because it can get them used to riding the roads and navigating. There are enough water crossings and old farm scenes to keep their interest for the day but is manageable in a completely stock vehicle of any type. Might be worth a look.
Thanks for the Dirt Devil tip! I had never heard of it. Just checked it out on youtube and the water crossings look like a lot of fun and definitely something I haven't done before. I will be hitting up the Dirt Devil next weekend. This weekend, the family and I are actually heading out to Land Between the Lakes to check out the primary trails in Turkey Bay, as well as do some horse-back riding and hopefully canoeing.

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

Welcome to the community! I grew up just east of you down in Rockwood! Spent a lot of summers exploring your area.

jazzy13

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Newport, RI, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Azbill
Member #

Welcome from Austin, TX. I spent time in Clarksville when I served at Ft Campbell, loved it...
Thanks Jeff! And yes, this area is great. Although, I've also heard nothing but good things about Austin, TX. Awesome rig by the way. I bet that thing's a blast down south.

We're definitely going to miss Clarksville as we're heading out to Monterey, CA in August...I think the family might be able to temporarily forget about the good times here when they see the ocean out their bedroom windows! haha But we're hoping to come back at some point. I am excited about all the trails and things to do in CA.

jazzy13

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Newport, RI, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Azbill
Member #

Welcome to the community! I grew up just east of you down in Rockwood! Spent a lot of summers exploring your area.
Appreciate the welcome! Yes, it's beautiful country here and always something to do. Life in Phoenix must be quite the adjustment from Tennessee.

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
Thanks Jeff! And yes, this area is great. Although, I've also heard nothing but good things about Austin, TX. Awesome rig by the way. I bet that thing's a blast down south.

We're definitely going to miss Clarksville as we're heading out to Monterey, CA in August...I think the family might be able to temporarily forget about the good times here when they see the ocean out their bedroom windows! haha But we're hoping to come back at some point. I am excited about all the trails and things to do in CA.
I lived in Southern CA most of my life, but love living in TX. I love the TX culture: Its a mix of Southern hospitality, and southwestern independence. I'm sure you will love living in Monterey. It seams like all my CA friends are trying to move out, it's good to know some are moving to CA lol...

XJ.Overland

Rank 0

Contributor I

XJ Overland, it's great to see another Clarksville resident! Is there a group around here that meets up on a regular basis?
I actually don't know on that one, I'm afraid. My response to your post was actually only the second posting I've made (right after my intro post). I just started getting into everything. I'm definitely going to do some searching though!

jazzy13

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Newport, RI, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Azbill
Member #

I actually don't know on that one, I'm afraid. My response to your post was actually only the second posting I've made (right after my intro post). I just started getting into everything. I'm definitely going to do some searching though!
Oh good, you're new as well, so we're in the same boat then! I'll do the same and let you know what I find. Just spent most of my day installing a hidden winch. Not yet finished as two hours was driving to and from Lowes in order to get the right size bolts as Terrafirma sent me the wrong size! I guess I'm not surprised after reading about the Terrafirma Rock Sliders install and how nothing lines up. Taking notes and pics though as the LR4 is no easy undertaking.

jazzy13

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Newport, RI, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Azbill
Member #

Welcome, Just south...well a couple hours south, in Birmingham, AL
Thanks OBJK. Awesome Jeep! If it weren't for four kids and a wife, I'd have a Jeep. However, some days not having the capacity to bring them all with me sounds nice! haha Do you have a favorite trail you'd recommend around Kentucky/Alabama area?