Rank II

Contributor III

Dade City, FL, USA
First Name
Danilo
Last Name
Liwanag
Member #

Hello. Novice to overlanding but traveled all over Asia AU inclunding the outback and NZ. Planning on an overlanding trip from FL to SW, NW upto Alberta in May and June. I'm hoping I could get some suggestions for my trip. I have a 1996 TLC and would like to have a moderate trail to points of interest basically mountains. Hope to mingle with some of you soon.

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Welcome Danilo! My suggestion is to narrow the search some for what exactly you are looking to do and what type equipment you plan to use. How do you plan to camp, etc.? I generally start by looking at maps and satellite views of the area I am interested in. I like to look for dispersed camp sites so National Forests are often targeted. If you plan to stay in organized campgrounds they often show up on Google Maps and other places.

You like mountains? Head West to the Rockies. There are lots! FYI, many of the high passes will be closed until nearly mid-summer. My plan this year is to start from the South and work North like you seem to be doing. Last year I started in mid-July and went North to Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, and a little bit of N. Colorado. That worked well but I can see where some of the high passes would be problematic. Especially this year they may have gotten more snow than last year. There are some sites that keep up with that but I don't have that info presently at hand. Good maps are always a plus. Good Luck in your travels and ask questions here. There is much knowledge among this community.

Reactions: Danilo Liwanag1

Danilo Liwanag1

Rank II

Contributor III

Dade City, FL, USA
First Name
Danilo
Last Name
Liwanag
Member #

Welcome Danilo! My suggestion is to narrow the search some for what exactly you are looking to do and what type equipment you plan to use. How do you plan to camp, etc.? I generally start by looking at maps and satellite views of the area I am interested in. I like to look for dispersed camp sites so National Forests are often targeted. If you plan to stay in organized campgrounds they often show up on Google Maps and other places.

You like mountains? Head West to the Rockies. There are lots! FYI, many of the high passes will be closed until nearly mid-summer. My plan this year is to start from the South and work North like you seem to be doing. Last year I started in mid-July and went North to Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, and a little bit of N. Colorado. That worked well but I can see where some of the high passes would be problematic. Especially this year they may have gotten more snow than last year. There are some sites that keep up with that but I don't have that info presently at hand. Good maps are always a plus. Good Luck in your travels and ask questions here. There is much knowledge among this community.
Thanks. Would probably go all the way to Alberta . Checked the weather for May and June and it seem toleable. but again pass conditions might be different. Have a great weekend

Wheel2Live Outdoors

Rank V

Advocate II

De Queen, AR 71832
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Baker
Member #

Thansk Jeff. Looking forward

Thanks Jeff. Any suggestion in AR?
We have the Ouachita National forest and the Ozark -St Francis National forest. There are so many places within these National Forest. The Trans America Trail runs through Arkansas as well as the Ozark Adventure Trail . Mt Magazine is the highest peak in Arkansas and there would be camping in the vicinity. There is a state park there. The Hots Springs area would be a cool place to check out and its also located near dispersed camping in the Ouachita's. The Whole west side of Arkansas and along Hwy 71 is just long stretches of National forest or is just adjacent to it. Do you have the OB1 app? The app keeps getting better with new camping spots added all the time. No real weather concerns except for the occasional thunderstorm. Depending on where you are, watch for low spots and water run off.

Danilo Liwanag1

Rank II

Contributor III

Dade City, FL, USA
First Name
Danilo
Last Name
Liwanag
Member #

We have the Ouachita National forest and the Ozark -St Francis National forest. There are so many places within these National Forest. The Trans America Trail runs through Arkansas as well as the Ozark Adventure Trail . Mt Magazine is the highest peak in Arkansas and there would be camping in the vicinity. There is a state park there. The Hots Springs area would be a cool place to check out and its also located near dispersed camping in the Ouachita's. The Whole west side of Arkansas and along Hwy 71 is just long stretches of National forest or is just adjacent to it. Do you have the OB1 app? The app keeps getting better with new camping spots added all the time. No real weather concerns except for the occasional thunderstorm. Depending on where you are, watch for low spots and water run off.
I cannot seem to get the OB1 app log me in, so frustrating. Will keep trying. Will not be starting my journey til May. Thanks for your suggestions. I just want moderate trails for my rig.

Reactions: Wheel2Live Outdoors

Wheel2Live Outdoors

Rank V

Advocate II

De Queen, AR 71832
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Baker
Member #

I cannot seem to get the OB1 app log me in, so frustrating. Will keep trying. Will not be starting my journey til May. Thanks for your suggestions. I just want moderate trails for my rig.
Bummer on the app. Yeah the Ouachita's are way more mild but you can find anything from basic gravel roads to Difficult hard rated trails. I also use Trails offroad and find the trail ratings to be pretty spot on.

Wheel2Live Outdoors

Rank V

Advocate II

De Queen, AR 71832
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Baker
Member #

Reactions: Danilo Liwanag1

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hello. Novice to overlanding but traveled all over Asia AU inclunding the outback and NZ. Planning on an overlanding trip from FL to SW, NW upto Alberta in May and June. I'm hoping I could get some suggestions for my trip. I have a 1996 TLC and would like to have a moderate trail to points of interest basically mountains. Hope to mingle with some of you soon.
Welcome To Overland Bound
For your log in issue please report it to Support@OverlandBound.com
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You can use the Member Map to find other members and events in your area. You can also send a message directly from the map to other members.
RESOURCE MAP
Adventure and Expedition Tutorials
Overland Bound One App Adventure and Expedition Tutorials
You are in the Southeast Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Online Courses - Tread Lightly
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course
If you have any questions don't hesitate to message me, hopefully I can get you going in the right direction. @Kent R or Kent@OverlandBound.com

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Hello Danilo, welcome to the OB family.

Michael Golden

Rank VI

Explorer I

Tampa Fl
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Golden
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4BCN
Service Branch
U.S. Army
Welcome to the Overland Bound Community. We're glad to have you join us. I'm also planning to make the drive from Tampa Fl to Arizona, Colorado, Utah etc. starting in mid May.

Danilo Liwanag1

Rank II

Contributor III

Dade City, FL, USA
First Name
Danilo
Last Name
Liwanag
Member #

Welcome to the Overland Bound Community. We're glad to have you join us. I'm also planning to make the drive from Tampa Fl to Arizona, Colorado, Utah etc. starting in mid May.
It would be nice if we could coordinate the departure from Tampa. We are planning on heading out May 1st and will be all over until end of June.