StormChaser

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Roaming, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Oddi
I'm happy to be joining the community here, I wish I had sooner!

I just picked up a 1995 Toyota 4Runner SR5 with 22r-e and 5speed manual. It's got 145k and was only mildly modified (rear leveling, oversize tires/wheels, fog lights). The previous owner did a pretty good job getting a bunch of maintenance done on it before he sold it.

As for experience, I started getting into the overlanding style of travel about 4 years ago when I attended Main Line Overland's Mid-Atlantic Overland Festival back in 2014. I was the only Subaru there, and it was a lifted WRX with oversized tires. It surprised myself and many others when it was able to keep up in most of the trails until an electrical gremlin caused my EFI fuse to randomly disconnect, shutting the engine off. There's much more to this story, but I'll keep it short and just simply thank all of the guys at Main Line Overland as well as Gear One Performance for their genuine and unwarranted kindness helping me get back on the road. You all solidified that this community is something special and that I was in the right place at the right time.

Fast forward few weeks and I hit the road west from Ohio (born and raised) and lived out of the WRX for about 4 months with my dog while traveling west through MT, CO, WY, UT, NV, ID, WA, and OR before finding a job here in Portland. Since then, I've spent a good amount of time remote car/truck camping in the Cascades.

Last year I purchased a short school bus to convert into a "tiny house on wheels", so that I could actually save money while living here, and I want a place of my own. I'm not fully moved into it yet, but will be once I can sort out heating.

So as you can maybe tell, I'm a big fan of mobile living situations and I'm really looking forward to getting this rig setup for extended travel!

4runner - day 1.jpg

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

I just picked up a 1995 Toyota 4Runner SR5 with 22r-e and 5speed manual. It's got 145k and was only mildly modified (rear leveling, oversize tires/wheels, fog lights). The previous owner did a pretty good job getting a bunch of maintenance done on it before he sold it.

As for experience, I started getting into the overlanding style of travel about 4 years ago when I attended Main Line Overland's Mid-Atlantic Overland Festival back in 2014. I was the only Subaru there, and it was a lifted WRX with oversized tires. It surprised myself and many others when it was able to keep up in most of the trails until an electrical gremlin caused my EFI fuse to randomly disconnect, shutting the engine off. There's much more to this story, but I'll keep it short and just simply thank all of the guys at Main Line Overland as well as Gear One Performance for their genuine and unwarranted kindness helping me get back on the road. You all solidified that this community is something special and that I was in the right place at the right time.

Fast forward few weeks and I hit the road west from Ohio (born and raised) and lived out of the WRX for about 4 months with my dog while traveling west through MT, CO, WY, UT, NV, ID, WA, and OR before finding a job here in Portland. Since then, I've spent a good amount of time remote car/truck camping in the Cascades.

Last year I purchased a short school bus to convert into a "tiny house on wheels", so that I could actually save money while living here, and I want a place of my own. I'm not fully moved into it yet, but will be once I can sort out heating.

So as you can maybe tell, I'm a big fan of mobile living situations and I'm really looking forward to getting this rig setup for extended travel!

View attachment 45930
Hello and welcome to the OB crew...happy to add another Toy to the group and look forward to seeing your build and adventures

Voodoo 1

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edmonds, WA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Hoskins
Member #

View attachment 45930
Hello, and welcome onboard. Oh an excellent photo ;)

StormChaser

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Roaming, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Oddi
Hello and welcome to the OB crew...happy to add another Toy to the group and look forward to seeing your build and adventures
Thanks! Once I sell my WRX and get a bit of cash saved I'll really start building this thing up. No crazy plans, I want it to remain reliable and I try to stick with the K.I.S.S. methodology, despite what the gear head in me wants haha.

Reactions: Chadlyb

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Thanks! Once I sell my WRX and get a bit of cash saved I'll really start building this thing up. No crazy plans, I want it to remain reliable and I try to stick with the K.I.S.S. methodology, despite what the gear head in me wants haha.
Great plan...look forward to it..

Jake Wettern | iamjake

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Member #

View attachment 45930
Hi StormChaser and welcome to OB! Nice looking 4Runner! Safe travels and enjoy those open roads!

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Welcome fellow portlander, great looking 4 runner use to have the exact same 4 runner but in green . The pnw is definitely a great place to get out and explore ,can't wait to see more of your travels

StormChaser

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Roaming, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Oddi
Welcome fellow portlander, great looking 4 runner use to have the exact same 4 runner but in green . The pnw is definitely a great place to get out and explore ,can't wait to see more of your travels
Nice, they are great rigs! I love the PNW, the geographic diversity is amazing... beach cruising, mountain switchbacks, high desert ramblings... I could go on. Thanks for the welcoming!

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

33x10.50r15 is a fantastic tire size for them .dig up a third and a front diff from a 3.0 with a auto they have 4.88 gears , works out great .

StormChaser

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Roaming, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Oddi
33x10.50r15 is a fantastic tire size for them .dig up a third and a front diff from a 3.0 with a auto they have 4.88 gears , works out great .
Yea that's the tire size I'm thinking of going with eventually once these 31s wear (only have a few thousand on them). I'm definitely regearing, but I think ARB lockers are in my future :) I've got to do a bit more research but 4.88 or 5.29 is in my future.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using OB Talk mobile app