Lazynorse

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Tacoma, WA, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Olsen
Fridge. Daily wet wipes, sponge bath every few days keeps me fresh enough. ‘Showers’ multiply your water storage needs significantly. This plus dedicated water heater? This has always fell in the ‘why?’ column for my wife and I.

Reactions: Viking1204

Nickel

Rank III

Pathfinder II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Jones
Member #

Thanks everyone for the advice I don't think anyone said shower over fridge and power pack. Here is what I am leaning towards:

Bluetti AC70 with Max 1000 watt draw (2000w power lift if needed), 768Wh. Would not get solar at this time, don't think I would need it. On sale for $450 (listed at $450 on Bluetti website, Amazon has a $250 coupon that is automatically added in cart)

Bluetti AC70

A Setpower fridge 20L for $210, which is about the size of my cooler but I should be able to pack triple since I won't have any ice. A little bit on the budget side of the spectrum with brand and price, but I learned they are owned by ICECO (My other option was an ICECO GO20 model at $450 but this option would really really really stretch my current budget). Mainly positive reviews and good reviews on support when needed.

Setpower 20L FC20

Pros of Setpower over ICECO:
  • Price
  • 35 watts on average reported vs. 4 watts on ICECO
Cons of Setpower - ICECO offers:
  • 5 year warranty on compressor vs. 3 years on Setpower (ICECO uses a Danfoss SECOP compressor and I am familar with Danfoss with the work I do, very high quality stuff)
  • Dual zone temperature fridge/freezer
  • Has an app to monitor temp so if fridge is in truck bed you can monitor temps
Not sure the cons are worth another $250 at this stage of the game. It also lets me test out the size with less risk if I find it to be too small (which I don't think it will be since it is the size I use today and half the space is ice). Thoughts?

Last edited:
Reactions: danwyandt

Nickel

Rank III

Pathfinder II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Jones
Member #

I would absolutely go for the fridge setup.
My wife and I went for years just heating up water and using a privy tent. Also used some kind of wash towels, "Sudz" maybe?
Having food stay cold and DRY while being able to replenish drinks to get cold is awesome. Not to mention, you can carry much more in the same space when ice isn't taking up room.

We have since added a Geyser shower system, and a truck mounted privacy tent.

If I had to do it all over I would still go fridge-first.
How do you like the Geyser?

So I changed what I said I was going to get based on some truck measurements and budget at this time. The budget fridge I was going to get was too long to fit in the space I wanted. So I decided to get the AC70 Bluetti 768 Wh battery and a heated Geyser. I have a few trips planned where water will be scarce so I need to pack in what I need and shower/dishes uses most of my water. I debated heated Geyser vs. standard and decided that with the REI sale, an extra $55 for the heated Geyser was not a bad investment. I will likely most often just do the 2:1 ratio of cold to boiling water but liked the idea of having the heated for a more consistent temp when/if I had the battery power and time to heat it. I also occasionally do trips without bringing my campstove for really basic trips, so I wouldn't have the fridge with me and no need to power it.

So battery and Geyser on order. Hoping to have funds to buy an Iceco GO20 by the time amazon days get here in June/July. Otherwise I will wait until fall and do anotehr season with my RTIC cooler and ice.

Reactions: danwyandt

danwyandt

Rank VII
Investor

Trail Mechanic III

Burnsville, NC, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Wyandt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRTJ513
Fridge. Daily wet wipes, sponge bath every few days keeps me fresh enough. ‘Showers’ multiply your water storage needs significantly. This plus dedicated water heater? This has always fell in the ‘why?’ column for my wife and I.
Check out the Gyser system. Half gallon of water for a hot shower. Changes your whole attitude about 3 days in. My wife and I used it on an 11 day trip. Takes up very little room. Heater is built in 12v, or the other model you pour hot water in.

-Dan

Last edited:
Reactions: Lazynorse

danwyandt

Rank VII
Investor

Trail Mechanic III

Burnsville, NC, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Wyandt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRTJ513
How do you like the Geyser?

So I changed what I said I was going to get based on some truck measurements and budget at this time. The budget fridge I was going to get was too long to fit in the space I wanted. So I decided to get the AC70 Bluetti 768 Wh battery and a heated Geyser. I have a few trips planned where water will be scarce so I need to pack in what I need and shower/dishes uses most of my water. I debated heated Geyser vs. standard and decided that with the REI sale, an extra $55 for the heated Geyser was not a bad investment. I will likely most often just do the 2:1 ratio of cold to boiling water but liked the idea of having the heated for a more consistent temp when/if I had the battery power and time to heat it. I also occasionally do trips without bringing my campstove for really basic trips, so I wouldn't have the fridge with me and no need to power it.

So battery and Geyser on order. Hoping to have funds to buy an Iceco GO20 by the time amazon days get here in June/July. Otherwise I will wait until fall and do anotehr season with my RTIC cooler and ice.
We love it.
They claim 5 minutes to heat it, but it's more like 10. Not a big deal, just start ahead and it will maintain until you flip the switch from heat to pump. The power cord is about 20 ft, so no need (for us anyway with a truck mounted privy canopy) to cary power around.

-Dan

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Thanks everyone for the advice I don't think anyone said shower over fridge and power pack. Here is what I am leaning towards:

Bluetti AC70 with Max 1000 watt draw (2000w power lift if needed), 768Wh. Would not get solar at this time, don't think I would need it. On sale for $450 (listed at $450 on Bluetti website, Amazon has a $250 coupon that is automatically added in cart)

Bluetti AC70

A Setpower fridge 20L for $210, which is about the size of my cooler but I should be able to pack triple since I won't have any ice. A little bit on the budget side of the spectrum with brand and price, but I learned they are owned by ICECO (My other option was an ICECO GO20 model at $450 but this option would really really really stretch my current budget). Mainly positive reviews and good reviews on support when needed.

Setpower 20L FC20

• Price
  • 5 year warranty on compressor vs. 3 years on Setpower (ICECO uses a Danfoss SECOP compressor and I am familar with Danfoss with the work I do, very high quality stuff)
Not sure the cons are worth another $250 at this stage of the game. It also lets me test out the size with less risk if I find it to be too small (which I don't think it will be since it is the size I use today and half the space is ice). Thoughts?
I've had good luck with the F40C4TMP fridges. 20L might be a bit too small if it's more than you. I can squeeze in 3 days for myself and 2 kids. 2 Adults takes a bit more planning and more stops to keep stocked. For an extra 10 dollars you can get 10 more liters.

If you want to stick with 20L the F40C4TMP is 50 dollars cheaper than the setpower.

danwyandt

Rank VII
Investor

Trail Mechanic III

Burnsville, NC, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Wyandt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRTJ513

Bluetti AC70

Setpower 20L FC20

• Price
If you haven't got the fridge yet, take a look at .
We've had ours for 3 years, and it hasn't missed a beat.

Limited-time deal: BODEGA 35L Dual Zone 12V Car Refrigerator Freezer Chest RV Camping Travel Outdoor https://a.co/d/hc9Xmjz

Reactions: Nickel

Nickel

Rank III

Pathfinder II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Jones
Member #

If you haven't got the fridge yet, take a look at .
We've had ours for 3 years, and it hasn't missed a beat.

Limited-time deal: BODEGA 35L Dual Zone 12V Car Refrigerator Freezer Chest RV Camping Travel Outdoor https://a.co/d/hc9Xmjz
Ya it is typically just me solo and I get by today on a 20 quart soft side RTIC cooler that I get 3 nights out of but with limited space for food vs. ice and a lot of water at the end! So a 20 quart powered with that extra room I will be fine.

I ordered:
  • Iceco GO20
  • Bluetti AC70 (768wH)
  • Geyser shower (heated version)
On the Bluetti 768 Wh I am hoping it is enough. I am seeing reports of anywhere from 24 hours on that size battery to 3 days. Obviously usage has an impact, I don't plan on using freezer setting on this first trip and it is 3 nights, but I will be exploring during day to help keep the battery charged.

All arriving in a few days, rain this weekend so hope to test it all out in garage. Doing Alabama Hills in mid-April - will be a good real test with Lone Pine nearly if anything goes south!

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Once I found Dude Wipes they go on every camping trip with me!

DUDE Wipes