Seal Rock, Lincoln County, Oregon, United States
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Service Branch
US Navy
We have a 2013 4runner limited that we love, but really want some more modern LED headlights. I know I am not the first person here to contemplate this so curious what everyone else has done. I’m open to replacing the whole units but I also see some cool bulb replacements that might be just as good. I’m looking at the Morimotos.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Do you already have projectors?
I converted my Cruiser to Morimoto D2S 3 projectors and HID. My 19 Tacoma already had projectors so I just went Morimoto HID low and their LED high.
On my sons 18 4runner, I did their 2 Stroke 3.0 high and low.
If you get an LED make sure you can adjust the bulb in the housing. You need to make sure the bulb mount plate is perfectly vertical. Playing with them, you notice a difference in the pattern, but not so much in the cutoff.

waltRmitty

Rank I

Contributor II

Seattle, WA, USA
First Name
walter
Last Name
mitty
Some folks believe that all you need to do is install LEDs in place of halogen bulbs and you've turned your lighting system into light sabers. Fact is that LEDs bulb construction need to be calibrated to the headlight system in your vehicle. So smritte is spot on in advising that you need to be able to adjust along the bulb axis. Also, the odds are against LED bulbs optically pairing to reflector based headlights, ergo, projector based design is the best starting platform.

Reactions: Joel 11k

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
See if you can get HIR (Halogen Infrared) bulbs. They only come in a few sizes. They're commercial duty, have thicker filaments and don't yellow over time like normal halogens.
Also Jeep is notorious for having huge voltage drops at their headlights. This is due to running undersized wire. I install relays at the core support and run 12 gauge wire to the lights. I also separate the headlight grounds on some.

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
See if you can get HIR (Halogen Infrared) bulbs. They only come in a few sizes. They're commercial duty, have thicker filaments and don't yellow over time like normal halogens.
Also Jeep is notorious for having huge voltage drops at their headlights. This is due to running undersized wire. I install relays at the core support and run 12 gauge wire to the lights. I also separate the headlight grounds on some.
I would be getting H4, which HIR does not come in. I tried to get susquahanna to create a wiring harness for my rig already, they can't because of the DRL. I may contact them again, and see if they have something rigged up now.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
DRL's can be tricky depending on how they switch them. Its nice when the manufacture uses a separate bulb. Without looking, its possible they run the low beams in series on yours. I would use the ignition feed as my trigger and a relay to connect and disconnect. Then use the High/Low to shut the center relay off during normal headlight operation.

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
DRL's can be tricky depending on how they switch them. Its nice when the manufacture uses a separate bulb. Without looking, its possible they run the low beams in series on yours. I would use the ignition feed as my trigger and a relay to connect and disconnect. Then use the High/Low to shut the center relay off during normal headlight operation.
The Jeep uses PWM to run the high beams at a lower wattage. Sending pulses to the headlights. This causes the flickering you see with many headlights. Jeep gets away with it in their older rigs by using halogen which stays illuminated even after power is cut for the impulse. A LED is very reative, as is a relay so you see it then. It's a garbage system, and the headlights in my pat are garbage too.

I hope the upgrade to decent housings, and Hella 2.0 bulbs will provide a much needed increase in light performance to the pat.

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Some folks believe that all you need to do is install LEDs in place of halogen bulbs and you've turned your lighting system into light sabers. Fact is that LEDs bulb construction need to be calibrated to the headlight system in your vehicle. So smritte is spot on in advising that you need to be able to adjust along the bulb axis. Also, the odds are against LED bulbs optically pairing to reflector based headlights, ergo, projector based design is the best starting platform.
That being said, Newer LED bulbs (good ones) have adjustments for beam location and the "filaments" are in the proper locations. I have a set installed in our F150 and they work great, no light spillage, glare either towards the driver, or oncoming traffic, and it has proper beam pattern. Hell I new GMC sierra was coming at me today when I was coming home from work, and those lights in that thing from chev are retina scorching. Almost like the Toyota corolla lights. HORRIBLE for on coming traffic.