Launch Member

Influencer II

10366 Bennett Road, Erie, PA, USA
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Forbes
Member #

I’m taking the adventure back roads of America heading west from Erie Pennsylvania in my 1964 Cj5 willys overland pulling a 1948 Bantam T3C trailer.

My parents sadly are letting me leave since im 19 & Lost my $40k year job in May. Now working at FedEx as a handler ( part time). Near butler PA theres a guy is want to hire me as a Technician/ designer for his jeep shop.
If he doesn’t I’ll continue west to Moab then LA.

My two biggest challenges on this trip will be.
Food & Gas.

Even though my jeep only takes about $20 worth of gas for a full tank. Then about $8for a Jerry can.

I’m gonna be bringing some spare parts with me, tools, mountain bikeTrek, Military cot and Tent, colman stove, etc

Attachments

Last edited:

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Are you following the TransAmerican Trail route?

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Back in the late 60s I had a cousin and his brother do a trip in a CJ. They started in Alliance Ohio, to San Diego via Texas, then on up to the Olympic Peninsula, then back home via the Dakotas. They were gone for two months. I remember this vividly as I was very impressed with their trip. Being from the east they were unfamiliar with everything they encountered. The biggest problem? Gasoline, they ran out of gas on multiple occasions. You have a 10 gallon tank. pulling a trailer, you might get 10 miles per gallon. That gives you a one hundred mile range, with a tail wind. You get out west, gas stations canbe 150-200 miles apart. You need to carry at least a 250 mile range. 3,5 gallon jerry cans minimum and a reliable way to transfer the gasoline. I would also suggest that you head out with a brand new set of tires and have matching rims and tires on the trailer. 2 spare tires would be ideal, but weight is your enemy. You can always borrow a trailer wheel and tire for a spare if need arises, drop the trailer and go fetch anew tire. Carry a tire repair kit. Did I mention that gasoline and tires are your two biggest priorities? We are headed west the first of October, maybe we'll see one another. Good luck to you, and be sure to have a great time !!! Here is a Mark Twain quote for you.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”Feb 15, 2019