Pathfinder I

Evansville, WY, USA 82636
First Name
SHAUN
Last Name
PICKENS
Member #

Hi Everyone,

My family and I are heading to Yellowstone for my first time there. I would like to hear your ideas on places to go see while there. We are also going to the Tetons as well. We are just getting into the planning stage and any input would be greatly appreciated. We will be heading out the 2nd week in August.

Shaun

kennedyma

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

Following as we are trying to get out there Mid August:) leaving from Chicago going to try and catch the Badlands and Black Hills also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Tetons: "River Road", in Grand Teton National Park Also search for Mormon Row, and visit these iconic farm buildings.

Yellowstone: Tons of popular places to visit, but one we've really enjoyed the two times we've been there that I'd never heard about prior was the loop around Firehole Lake Drive. It is beautiful just before sunset!

STPICKENS

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

First Name
SHAUN
Last Name
PICKENS
Member #

Following as we are trying to get out there Mid August:) leaving from Chicago going to try and catch the Badlands and Black Hills also.

We went through the. Black hills a few years ago. I absolutely loved it there. Very beautiful.

Reactions: kennedyma

karate1993

Rank 0

Traveler I

My family is going to try to get out there this year as well. My wife's cousin is a park ranger at Yellowstone, so we're planning on him giving us the grand tour! If you're on Instagram you should check out his photography - @jacobwfrank

Sent from my Pixel using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: vanbuskirk

STPICKENS

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

First Name
SHAUN
Last Name
PICKENS
Member #

Tetons: "River Road", in Grand Teton National Park Also search for Mormon Row, and visit these iconic farm buildings.

Yellowstone: Tons of popular places to visit, but one we've really enjoyed the two times we've been there that I'd never heard about prior was the loop around Firehole Lake Drive. It is beautiful just before sunset!

Wow. I am definitely going to try and make it to fire hole dr. That is such a great picture. And looks like we are going to river road in the Tetons. I will have to talk the wife into Norman row now. Thanks![emoji1303]

STPICKENS

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

First Name
SHAUN
Last Name
PICKENS
Member #

My family is going to try to get out there this year as well. My wife's cousin is a park ranger at Yellowstone, so we're planning on him giving us the grand tour! If you're on Instagram you should check out his photography - @jacobwfrank

Sent from my Pixel using OB Talk mobile app
Done a followed him. Fantastic work! Your lucky to get a grand tour. That should be a lot of fun.

Daniel Etter

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

I plan on making a trip up to Yellowstone sometime this year so I look forward to seeing your trip!If you do make it out here to the Black Hills and Badlands and need info let me know!

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Also, plan on huge crowds. We were at Old Faithful mid-October 2015 and were two of maybe two hundred people watching the eruption. We were there mid-September 2016 and were three of what the rangers said were (if I remember correctly) 3000-5000 people. Both of these dates were after the busy season.

STPICKENS

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

First Name
SHAUN
Last Name
PICKENS
Member #

Also, plan on huge crowds. We were at Old Faithful mid-October 2015 and were two of maybe two hundred people watching the eruption. We were there mid-September 2016 and were three of what the rangers said were (if I remember correctly) 3000-5000 people. Both of these dates were after the busy season.
That's what I am afraid of. Too many people. This was not my choice in dates to go but the rest of the family's vacations worked out this way. Oh well. Hopefully I can get some good landscape shots while I am there. But all in all I am very excited to see what I have been missing.

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
Right there with him as a tag along, FOLLOWING. And I will mark these locations on my GPS. Thanks Steve, your photos are great.

Reactions: STPICKENS

STPICKENS

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

First Name
SHAUN
Last Name
PICKENS
Member #

We are looking to stay in the Black Hills area this summer. Any recommendations on places to camp with our rooftop tent? thanks!
When we went through it was not a camping trip. We stayed in the lodge at Mount Rushmore KOA at palmer gulch. It looked like a nice place from what we saw. And at the time there was a tent with homemade pancakes and bacon or sausage for 2.50 per person. If you have the option for dispersed camping in the area I would go with that. That part of the country is beautiful.

Scontroneboy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chicago
First Name
Franco
Last Name
Valentino
Member #

Are you looking for dispersed camping or campgrounds? I have a few coordinates for dispersed camping I'll pm you guys when I get a chance!
Planning my Chicago-Black Hills-Yellowstone-Teton trip and would love any insight/info you can provide on dispersed camping in SD. Thank you!