Rank II

Contributor III

Sarasota, FL, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
StMartin
Member #

Hey Andrew, I'm in Tampa and getting prepared to head out to Arizona, Colorado, and Utah in what looks like May when I retire. I just came back from a week and a half shake down trip to Ocala National Forest. I tell you what---- I'm ready to go right now. Just waiting for the snow to melt off a little bit out west.
Good Morning Mike,
Those three states are definitely on my list as well. I've never even seen the Mississippi...let alone driven out West before. I am very excited to meet new people and new friends and share experiences with. The whole Overland community is a "movement" and I'm excited to be a part of it. Still trying to navigate this website. I've placed the app on my phone to navigate and I've downloaded Gaia GPS as well, but really want to acclimate myself to the technology before I get out there. My Renegade is scheduled to go into the shop for an overhaul from stock and will include: a 2" inch lift kit, rock sliders, KMC Wheels and Toyo A/T III all-terrain tires. The rock sliders were all I could afford for now in my budget, but were highly recommended over skid plates given my current budget. I was hoping to leave in April, but I might have to push that back until May.
In the meantime, I am building a DIY shelf and bed system for the interior in the garage while I wait for my scheduled overhaul. I'll be posting pictures of the build in March and before and after pictures of the Renegade when the Rig is ready for the road.

AS FOR THE SNOW....I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE IT!

Take good care and I hope to see you out there!

Renegade Recon

Rank II

Contributor III

Sarasota, FL, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
StMartin
Member #

I live in Pagosa Springs and have done a lot of the Southwest corner of Colorado and northern NM. Even with our low snowfall so far this season, a lot of trails will not open until late May/early June, some it might be I in July. Temps at night can be in the teens or lower in May in the higher elevation. So plan accordingly.

If you stay south along I10, look at maybe a side trip into the Gila National Forest.

As said before, download IOverlander app and do some looking at places along your plan route.

Also maybe look at the Back Roads Decovery Route for different states out west
Good Morning Bruce,
Thank you for the post. Southwest Colorado....hmm, sounds like the Durango area? I'm headed that way by July. I have a friend out there who has been begging me to get out of Florida for a long time. I didn't realize the temps at night could be in the (teens)...in May? I really appreciate THAT tip! Picking out my wardrobe now on what clothes to pack and what to bring. I'll be out there for 8 months to a year, so there is a lot to prepare for. Downloaded the Overlander app but seems overwhelming as I am not at all technical.....gotta work on that, but will look up Gila National Forest.
Question: Is the "Back Roads Discovery Route and actual thread of backroads as in one-continuous route thru several states or a piece-meal group of off-grid roads thru the WEST?

Thanks again,
Andrew

Reactions: NMBruce

Michael Golden

Rank VI

Explorer I

Tampa Fl
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Golden
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4BCN
Service Branch
U.S. Army
Hey Andrew, I'm in Tampa and getting prepared to head out to Arizona, Colorado, and Utah in what looks like May when I retire. I just came back from a week and a half shake down trip to Ocala National Forest. I tell you what---- I'm ready to go right now. Just waiting for the snow to melt off a little bit out west.
Good Morning Mike,
Those three states are definitely on my list as well. I've never even seen the Mississippi...let alone driven out West before. I am very excited to meet new people and new friends and share experiences with. The whole Overland community is a "movement" and I'm excited to be a part of it. Still trying to navigate this website. I've placed the app on my phone to navigate and I've downloaded Gaia GPS as well, but really want to acclimate myself to the technology before I get out there. My Renegade is scheduled to go into the shop for an overhaul from stock and will include: a 2" inch lift kit, rock sliders, KMC Wheels and Toyo A/T III all-terrain tires. The rock sliders were all I could afford for now in my budget, but were highly recommended over skid plates given my current budget. I was hoping to leave in April, but I might have to push that back until May.
In the meantime, I am building a DIY shelf and bed system for the interior in the garage while I wait for my scheduled overhaul. I'll be posting pictures of the build in March and before and after pictures of the Renegade when the Rig is ready for the road.

AS FOR THE SNOW....I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE IT!

Take good care and I hope to see you out there!
I’m almost 62, and the only time I saw the Grand Canyon was when I was about 12 or 13. I’m looking forward to it. I want to go now but may have to push it out till May.

zgfiredude

Rank VI

Steward I

Silt, CO, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nichols
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
Good Morning Bruce,
Thank you for the post. Southwest Colorado....hmm, sounds like the Durango area? I'm headed that way by July. I have a friend out there who has been begging me to get out of Florida for a long time. I didn't realize the temps at night could be in the (teens)...in May? I really appreciate THAT tip! Picking out my wardrobe now on what clothes to pack and what to bring. I'll be out there for 8 months to a year, so there is a lot to prepare for. Downloaded the Overlander app but seems overwhelming as I am not at all technical.....gotta work on that, but will look up Gila National Forest.
Question: Is the "Back Roads Discovery Route and actual thread of backroads as in one-continuous route thru several states or a piece-meal group of off-grid roads thru the WEST?

Thanks again,
Andrew
Andrew, Here is a link to the BDR website....BDR Each state is continuous, but for the most part they are not connected together as one continuous muliti state route. However, in many cases they aren't all that far apart either...How's that for a vague answer. Look around the site and you can get a feel for things and you can download the routes for navigation if that's something you are going to do....which I'd recommend.

I don't know if you've heard about another route called the Trans-America Trail, or TAT. It is more of an East to West (or reverse obviously) connected path across the country. This might be another one to look at. I look forward to seeing your build and journey and following along!

Reactions: NMBruce

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
I may head out some time about mid-April. It could include a swing down to Padre Island and up through Big Bend on my way north up the Rockies. Depending on the fishing I find along the way and the sites to see I think I can keep occupied. Last year I started in mid-July and went north and worked my way south until I hit Colorado. I only stayed in N. Colorado a few days until my "Spidey Sense" told me to head home after five wonderful weeks. I will probably go for longer this time around. It was just a combination of the increase in people in Colorado, Covid increase, hurricanes brewing, many fish caught, etc. etc. I think Wyoming was my favorite. Few people, few stoopid rules and good dispersed camping. Lots of places I would like to see and fish again along with some more places to explore.
Before then I need to pop down to Titusville, Fla. to look at a boat I need. Looks like some decent camping in the NFs around N. Fla. My butt is still sore from all that driving last year! I think I have found a work around. A good cushion!

Reactions: zgfiredude

Mid State Overland

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Little Falls, Minnesota
First Name
David
Last Name
Finch
Hi Guys,
Brand new to the Overland Bound Community, and still getting myself acclimated to the website. I have a 2018 Jeep Renegade that I am preparing for a cross-country tour of the United States this Spring. (I have NEVER been off-road...EVER). From Florida, I am heading west along I-10 and will be looking for campsites and off-road trails to get off the grid for awhile. I'll probably "commute" through southern Alabama, Mississippi and stop somewhere safe in Louisiana.

Does anyone have any suggestions for Overnight spots in Louisiana? By Day 3, I'd like to be in Texas. Heading to Dallas to see old friends but very confused on where to stay (Before) reaching Dallas, and (After) leaving Dallas. If there is anyone out there who can help me plan stops in these two states, I would definitely be very appreciative. Going Solo and very excited but also a little nervous. Planning on a southern route across New Mexico; never have seen the Grand Canyon, and hope to see the Pacific Ocean this summer. I'm totally open for any feedback along the way. Very busy right now converting the Renegade into a worthy rig our big brother Rubicon's and Wrangler Sahara's will be proud to ride with. Will post pictures of the build in March, hopefully leaving in April.

Thanks for all of your help!
Andrew
Off subject but if you ever want to head north I would be more than happy to show you around Minnesota near the Canadian border.

Attachments

Renegade Recon

Rank II

Contributor III

Sarasota, FL, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
StMartin
Member #

Hi David,
Just catching up on the post I sent this morning. Minnesota is NOT off the subject at all, and I thank you for contributing. Growing up, I always dreamed of someday visiting the Boundary Waters Canoe Area, and Ely, Minnesota. I could be in Minnesota by September 2022 or possibly early October. As for kayaking...I'm all in! As far as off-roading....remember I only have a Jeep Renegade and rock climbing is not even an option, but I do have 4 wheel drive so hopefully, we can get through that mud, no problem.
Take care, and thanks again.
Off subject but if you ever want to head north I would be more than happy to show you around Minnesota near the Canadian border.
Andrew, Here is a link to the BDR website....BDR Each state is continuous, but for the most part they are not connected together as one continuous muliti state route. However, in many cases they aren't all that far apart either...How's that for a vague answer. Look around the site and you can get a feel for things and you can download the routes for navigation if that's something you are going to do....which I'd recommend.

I don't know if you've heard about another route called the Trans-America Trail, or TAT. It is more of an East to West (or reverse obviously) connected path across the country. This might be another one to look at. I look forward to seeing your build and journey and following along!
Wow! Hey....thanks so much for the BDR link! The information out there is overwhelming and the support from this group alone is amazing. I just joined Overland Bound maybe 6 weeks ago, and I've learned more from you guys and all these posts than I could ever find by searching all over YouTube! ...and I haven't even packed my bags yet. Thanks so much again; I will bookmark this and study it before I plan a route for this year.
Take care and thanks again

NMBruce

Rank V

Advocate II

Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0NBD
Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
Good Morning Bruce,

Thanks again,
Andrew
Andrew
In July the weather will really nice. There should be a lot to do around Durango, lots of trails up by Silverton & Ouray, but it could still get cold at night in the high country. If you go out for a day, bring a jacket, bad weather can't quickly.