Contributor III

Sarasota, FL, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
StMartin
Member #

Hi Guys,
Brand new to the Overland Bound Community, and still getting myself acclimated to the website. I have a 2018 Jeep Renegade that I am preparing for a cross-country tour of the United States this Spring. (I have NEVER been off-road...EVER). From Florida, I am heading west along I-10 and will be looking for campsites and off-road trails to get off the grid for awhile. I'll probably "commute" through southern Alabama, Mississippi and stop somewhere safe in Louisiana.

Does anyone have any suggestions for Overnight spots in Louisiana? By Day 3, I'd like to be in Texas. Heading to Dallas to see old friends but very confused on where to stay (Before) reaching Dallas, and (After) leaving Dallas. If there is anyone out there who can help me plan stops in these two states, I would definitely be very appreciative. Going Solo and very excited but also a little nervous. Planning on a southern route across New Mexico; never have seen the Grand Canyon, and hope to see the Pacific Ocean this summer. I'm totally open for any feedback along the way. Very busy right now converting the Renegade into a worthy rig our big brother Rubicon's and Wrangler Sahara's will be proud to ride with. Will post pictures of the build in March, hopefully leaving in April.

Thanks for all of your help!
Andrew

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
sounds like a good trip, andrew

i'm not from louisiana, but i've been here over 30 yrs and travel out of here a lot, mainly going out west, so i have a decent idea of places to stay and great sights to see.
you say youre taking I-10 AND going to dallas? I-10 is way south...so you will have to go north at some point to get to dallas. best bet would probably take I-10 past new orleans and baton rouge and then take 49 up to shreveport and then 20 to dallas. if youre wanting to see the grand canyon, then you will be taking I-40 and staying north versus I-10. thats a very cool route and you can modify it to see santa fe and work the northern part of NM (which has some good camping and boondocking) and go west to durango, co which is an AMAZING area and work your way to the grand canyon from there. not sure how much time you have, but hitting the pacific ocean will take some time. since you want to visit friends in dallas, take the north route going and then drop down and take a more southern route coming back.

i've done that trip many times taking several different routes, so DM me if you are interested in getting more details. as far a safe place to stop in louisiana...there really isn't anywhere to camp or boondock. there are 2 rest areas on I-10, one entering louisiana from mississippi and the other on the texas border.
i live a half hour south of new orleans and have some acerage and a detatched garage/apartment that family stays in when visiting. you are more than welcome to stay here and recharge...i even have a camp area at the back of my property if you just want a secluded spot to boondock.

1643724255074.jpeg

if you have time and i'm around, i can take you out in the boat for a swamp tour. louisiana looks like crap driving thru it, but get out in the swamps in a boat and its a totally different thing.

good luck on that build!

Last edited:

Renegade Recon

Rank II

Contributor III

Sarasota, FL, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
StMartin
Member #

Dear Grubworm....nice!
Thank you so much for your offer to stay or stop by this spring as well as the information you gave me on travel routes. More specifically, I have between 8-to-12 months to travel and want to see as much of the USA that I can; provided that gas prices stay under $4.00/gal. I will touch base with you via this post but am busy building the Rig and converting it from stock to off-road capability. I agaree, that I don't really see places in Louisiana worth staying in and at some point should go north thru Shrevesport as opposed to driving south to Beaumont, TX and then north to Dallas. There really isn't a timeline to get to Dallas; I just don't see me stopping in Alabama, Mississippi, and any part of Louisiana if I take the southern route via I-10. The Eastern part of Texas looks alot more congested from the Louisiana border to Dallas, and I'm guessing that things really don't open up till you get past Ft. Worth, Texas. Let me do some road planning and research and we'll touch base soon!
Thanks again for your quick response!
astm2122

Reactions: grubworm

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
The United States/Canada pacific coastline is very long, what part of the coastline are you wanting to see?

NØMAD

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Newton
Member #

Hi Guys,
Brand new to the Overland Bound Community, and still getting myself acclimated to the website. I have a 2018 Jeep Renegade that I am preparing for a cross-country tour of the United States this Spring. (I have NEVER been off-road...EVER). From Florida, I am heading west along I-10 and will be looking for campsites and off-road trails to get off the grid for awhile. I'll probably "commute" through southern Alabama, Mississippi and stop somewhere safe in Louisiana.

Does anyone have any suggestions for Overnight spots in Louisiana? By Day 3, I'd like to be in Texas. Heading to Dallas to see old friends but very confused on where to stay (Before) reaching Dallas, and (After) leaving Dallas. If there is anyone out there who can help me plan stops in these two states, I would definitely be very appreciative. Going Solo and very excited but also a little nervous. Planning on a southern route across New Mexico; never have seen the Grand Canyon, and hope to see the Pacific Ocean this summer. I'm totally open for any feedback along the way. Very busy right now converting the Renegade into a worthy rig our big brother Rubicon's and Wrangler Sahara's will be proud to ride with. Will post pictures of the build in March, hopefully leaving in April.

Andrew
Hi Andrew - I did a similar route in March 2021. Here are a few suggestions along the I-10 route from Florida heading west:

Ingram's Marina (Quincy, FL)
Gulf Shores KOA (Lillian, AL)
Comanche Trail Campground (Big Spring, TX)
Cloudcroft Hostel (Cloudcroft, NM) right in the awesome Lincoln National Forest, which is not to be missed!

Also...be sure to download the iOverlander app for finding campsites along the way. Have a great trip!

Reactions: Kozysnack

Renegade Recon

Rank II

Contributor III

Sarasota, FL, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
StMartin
Member #

Dear Grubworm....nice!
Thank you so much for your offer to stay or stop by this spring as well as the information you gave me on travel routes. More specifically, I have between 8-to-12 months to travel and want to see as much of the USA that I can; provided that gas prices stay under $4.00/gal. I will touch base with you via this post but am busy building the Rig and converting it from stock to off-road capability. I agaree, that I don't really see places in Louisiana worth staying in and at some point should go north thru Shrevesport as opposed to driving south to Beaumont, TX and then north to Dallas. There really isn't a timeline to get to Dallas; I just don't see me stopping in Alabama, Mississippi, and any part of Louisiana if I take the southern route via I-10. The Eastern part of Texas looks alot more congested from the Louisiana border to Dallas, and I'm guessing that things really
Hi Andrew - I did a similar route in March 2021. Here are a few suggestions along the I-10 route from Florida heading west:

Ingram's Marina (Quincy, FL)
Gulf Shores KOA (Lillian, AL)
Comanche Trail Campground (Big Spring, TX)
Cloudcroft Hostel (Cloudcroft, NM) right in the awesome Lincoln National Forest, which is not to be missed!

Also...be sure to download the iOverlander app for finding campsites along the way. Have a great trip!
Hey Guys,
Thanks for all of your posts. You've all given me some great information and ideas and I'm really looking forward to getting out of Florida after 32+ years and traveling.

Reactions: FishinCrzy

Renegade Recon

Rank II

Contributor III

Sarasota, FL, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
StMartin
Member #

The United States/Canada pacific coastline is very long, what part of the coastline are you wanting to see?
Hi Mike, I probably won't get to California and the West Coast until June. I'd like to start just north of Santa Barbara and stop in Monterey there. I have a friend I'd like to visit in Monterey. From there, I'd like to see as much of the Ocean and hopefully be able to camp along the beach roads all the way to Portland, OR. (Is that possible)? I really don't want to stay in a "campsite" , just camp out of the Jeep and on the beach somewhere. Let me know if that is possible. I can't wait to get out of Florida. I'm just watching the gas prices and hope I can get out there.

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
I have found lots of good campsites and dispersed camping areas looking at Google Maps. Mostly by scrolling around National Forests. Found some real gems just looking along my planned route. Look for the green shaded areas. Zoom in on satellite view and see what's around it. I think it was Missouri on my way West last year that had Conservation Areas that had some primitive camping for free. Was a mile or two from the interstate and no one around during the weekdays. With my RTT I look for quiet places off the main roads. Secluded boat landings can be good if nothing else is available. Sometimes the locals hang out and drink beer, etc. Never had any problems really. Just some noise.

I am tentatively planning a southern route to the Southwest and then up through the Rockies if I get an early enough start. Maybe start down on S. Padre Island and work up through Big Bend and on up the Rockies to where I stopped last year in Northern Colorado. My butt is not quite recovered from 6 K miles in July - August. Me a Carolina boy and you a Florida boy remember if you hit altitudes above approximately 8K ft. you will feel it! But, when the weather gets hot in the lowlands it's a great place to be up there. Good Luck and clear sailing!

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Hi Mike, I probably won't get to California and the West Coast until June. I'd like to start just north of Santa Barbara and stop in Monterey there. I have a friend I'd like to visit in Monterey. From there, I'd like to see as much of the Ocean and hopefully be able to camp along the beach roads all the way to Portland, OR. (Is that possible)? I really don't want to stay in a "campsite" , just camp out of the Jeep and on the beach somewhere. Let me know if that is possible. I can't wait to get out of Florida. I'm just watching the gas prices and hope I can get out there.
Portland, Oregon is about 100 miles east of the Pacific Ocean with the Costal Mountain Range in between the two. There is a lot of camp grounds and dispersed camping along HWY 101 from Monterey, California to Vancouver, BC. But dispersed camping on the Oregon/Washington beaches is prohibited in most places. Beach front camping requires camp grounds for the most part. I’m unfamiliar with camping on the California coast line. Every time I visited Monterey I stayed at my great aunts vineyard, or with my mom’s cousins at their ocean front condos.

I will send you a DM of my planned itinerary of last summer’s trip up 101.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Since you have a bit of time, don't skip Durango north to Silverton and Ouray. They call this the Switzerland of the Rockies and will be a highlight of your trip. Having said that, anything offroad in the San Juans doesn't tend to open till around June. I would recommend hitting Arizona early spring and work your way up to Moab/Arches for a while then back over to the San Juans (Ouray). From there, head north to Buena Vista, Colorado. You could do a different trail every day for a couple of weeks there, with plenty of boondocking.

If you want more offroad you might throw the Utah Traverse into the mix. It is a solid week of driving offroad across southern Utah. OR... you could do the old Pony Express Trail across Utah.

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Hi Guys,

Andrew
The North rim of the GC will most likely be closed, snow, so the South rim will have to do. I prefer the North. If you have never been to Antelope canyon in the Page Az area they are worth a stop, right there is also Horseshoe canyon, two beautiful sites. If you have more questions DM me. Rich

Renegade Recon

Rank II

Contributor III

Sarasota, FL, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
StMartin
Member #

Hey "Old Man",
Love the handle! I've never been out west, and the support I'm getting already before I've even hit the road, is incredible. There are good people out there who care for each other and respect each other and respect the great outdoors! Wow....Utah? It's a dream. The only thing I can relate it to was from a movie I saw as a kid starring, Robert Redford in the movie, "Jeremiah Johnson."

Let me put this question to you and to the O.B. community at large? You mention MOAB, the Utah Traverse, and the Pony Express Route. I only have a Jeep Renegade. I'm in the process this month of putting a 2.0" lift kit on her with new KMC Wheels, and new Toyo ATIII 235/65R17 Tires with Daystar Rock Sliders just for starters, but she's just a little thing....she's NOT a Rubicon!

Question: Of the 3 trails you mentioned are there any "soft" trails in Utah that my Jeep could handle? I'm not planning on going "rock-climbing"....she's just not built for it; but I do want to be able to go off-road, air-down the tires and get into area's where I can overnight without paying for campsites and do some soft to moderate trails?

The old "Pony Express" trail sounds interesting; I'll have to look that one up. FYI: I have friends in Durango and I'm planning to visit sometime this summer. Thanks for advice on hitting Arizona first. Exactly! We're thinking alike! That's exactly what I was planning on. Thanks so much for your post!

Be safe out there,
Andrew

Renegade Recon

Rank II

Contributor III

Sarasota, FL, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
StMartin
Member #

Portland, Oregon is about 100 miles east of the Pacific Ocean with the Costal Mountain Range in between the two. There is a lot of camp grounds and dispersed camping along HWY 101 from Monterey, California to Vancouver, BC. But dispersed camping on the Oregon/Washington beaches is prohibited in most places. Beach front camping requires camp grounds for the most part. I’m unfamiliar with camping on the California coast line. Every time I visited Monterey I stayed at my great aunts vineyard, or with my mom’s cousins at their ocean front condos.

I will send you a DM of my planned itinerary of last summer’s trip up 101.
Thanks so much for the info, especially about Monterey. Yes, I have a special friend up there and whenever I get out there, I'll probably do the same, get off the road, sleep in a real bed, and enjoy the scenery. She too, lives right on the Ocean. Cannot WAIT to get out there.

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Hey "Old Man",
Love the handle! I've never been out west, and the support I'm getting already before I've even hit the road, is incredible. There are good people out there who care for each other and respect each other and respect the great outdoors! Wow....Utah? It's a dream. The only thing I can relate it to was from a movie I saw as a kid starring, Robert Redford in the movie, "Jeremiah Johnson."

Let me put this question to you and to the O.B. community at large? You mention MOAB, the Utah Traverse, and the Pony Express Route. I only have a Jeep Renegade. I'm in the process this month of putting a 2.0" lift kit on her with new KMC Wheels, and new Toyo ATIII 235/65R17 Tires with Daystar Rock Sliders just for starters, but she's just a little thing....she's NOT a Rubicon!

Question: Of the 3 trails you mentioned are there any "soft" trails in Utah that my Jeep could handle? I'm not planning on going "rock-climbing"....she's just not built for it; but I do want to be able to go off-road, air-down the tires and get into area's where I can overnight without paying for campsites and do some soft to moderate trails?

The old "Pony Express" trail sounds interesting; I'll have to look that one up. FYI: I have friends in Durango and I'm planning to visit sometime this summer. Thanks for advice on hitting Arizona first. Exactly! We're thinking alike! That's exactly what I was planning on. Thanks so much for your post!

Be safe out there,
Andrew
You can run 90% of MOAB in a stock Jeep Renegade, all of the huge obstacles have a bypass. While in California, try hitting up the Rubicon Trail, no one has ever been disappointed in the views from the Rubicon.

When in Durango, be sure to hit up @Neal A. Tew for some of his go to spots, if you time it right, you might be able to make it to June Jam.

one last thing… you mentioned how much you loved the support from this community, I highly recommend upgrading to Expedition Tier for the added support we can give, even if your offline. And get your amature radio license.

zgfiredude

Rank VI

Steward I

Silt, CO, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nichols
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
Ahhhhh, Utah! There is sooo much goodness in Utah and so much of it that you'll be able to do! You could easily get from the southern part to the northern part on Utah all on dirt roads that would be easy for your set up. Then, you could do that down in the desert, or up in the mountains depending on temperatures. Look up the San Rafael Swell area near Green River, Ut. I have been through there quite a bit, it's stunning. And, you have to go to Moab, even if all you do is drive through....but Arches and Canyonlands are awesome!

Renegade Recon

Rank II

Contributor III

Sarasota, FL, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
StMartin
Member #

You can run 90% of MOAB in a stock Jeep Renegade, all of the huge obstacles have a bypass. While in California, try hitting up the Rubicon Trail, no one has ever been disappointed in the views from the Rubicon.

When in Durango, be sure to hit up @Neal A. Tew for some of his go to spots, if you time it right, you might be able to make it to June Jam.

one last thing… you mentioned how much you loved the support from this community, I highly recommend upgrading to Expedition Tier for the added support we can give, even if your offline. And get your amature radio license.
Mike,
I don't mean to sound skeptical, but are you SURE that I can run a (stock Renegade) thru MOAB? If so....that is so exciting. I've seen videos on YouTube of both MOAB and The Rubicon Trail and you give me hope that my little bug can make it. Do you have any suggestions on amateur radio's under $175.00. I was planning on some kind of "comm's" before heading out on the road, but it can be so overwhelming. Not sure if I should secure a ham radio first or a GARMIN GPS tracker?
I will definitely look into Expedition Tier before I head out this Spring, but still can't get over the support from this entire channel!
There's an entire group of PEOPLE into this lifestyle....I can't get over it. Thank you so much.

Reactions: freak4life

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
An inexpensive 2m radio would be the Yaesu FT-2980R is slightly over your budget new at $165-180, but used should be right within your budget. It’s an 80 watt mono band transceiver with 220 memory. It was my first radio, and I loved it.

as for radio or Garmin tracker… if you bumped up your comms budget, you could get the Yaesu FTM-400XDR that has APRS which can be used as a digital GPS tracker, Emergency Beacon, Text messenger, and can help locate other “ham’s” on the road. There is a web site that you can give to your family to track you with as well. And while this all sounds great, it’s not as reliable as the Garmin Inreach and you should have both coms and a GPS sos

I am positive you can run Moab. I did it in a stock 2003 Chevy Trailblazer with stock tires. I ran the Rubicon in 1998 in a stock 1986 Bronco II. Pick your lines carefully and use the bypasses. In Moab, you might not be able to run all of the trails, but there are trails in Moab for Beginner through Expert and from stock to highly modified rock buggies. You only see the Extreeme side of Moab on YouTube and through the off-road mags.

expedition tier testers wanted

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
An inexpensive 2m radio would be the Yaesu FT-2980R is slightly over your budget new at $165-180, but used should be right within your budget. It’s an 80 watt mono band transceiver with 220 memory. It was my first radio, and I loved it.

as for radio or Garmin tracker… if you bumped up your comms budget, you could get the Yaesu FTM-400XDR that has APRS which can be used as a digital GPS tracker, Emergency Beacon, Text messenger, and can help locate other “ham’s” on the road. There is a web site that you can give to your family to track you with as well. And while this all sounds great, it’s not as reliable as the Garmin Inreach and you should have both coms and a GPS sos

I am positive you can run Moab. I did it in a stock 2003 Chevy Trailblazer with stock tires. I ran the Rubicon in 1998 in a stock 1986 Bronco II. Pick your lines carefully and use the bypasses. In Moab, you might not be able to run all of the trails, but there are trails in Moab for Beginner through Expert and from stock to highly modified rock buggies. You only see the Extreeme side of Moab on YouTube and through the off-road mags.

expedition tier testers wanted
Great info Michael. Not everyone has this kind of valuable knowledge, thanks for sharing your expertise.

Michael Golden

Rank VI

Explorer I

Tampa Fl
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Golden
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4BCN
Service Branch
U.S. Army
Hi Guys,

Andrew
Hey Andrew, I'm in Tampa and getting prepared to head out to Arizona, Colorado, and Utah in what looks like May when I retire. I just came back from a week and a half shake down trip to Ocala National Forest. I tell you what---- I'm ready to go right now. Just waiting for the snow to melt off a little bit out west.

NMBruce

Rank V

Advocate II

Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0NBD
Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
I live in Pagosa Springs and have done a lot of the Southwest corner of Colorado and northern NM. Even with our low snowfall so far this season, a lot of trails will not open until late May/early June, some it might be I in July. Temps at night can be in the teens or lower in May in the higher elevation. So plan accordingly.

If you stay south along I10, look at maybe a side trip into the Gila National Forest.

As said before, download IOverlander app and do some looking at places along your plan route.

Also maybe look at the Back Roads Decovery Route for different states out west