Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

I will echo the seat upgrade idea as well. I have driven a few old Peterbilts that will destroy you, but the same spec truck with an air ride seat is quite comfortable, so seats make a HUGE difference. I will also say that a good friend of mine has an OME lift on his new 4runner, and it rides better than stock, so if you lift do your research and it will help too.
I have to agree with you on seats. I primarily drove Mack trucks. Seating is important. I have heard sometime the lift makes the vehicle more comfortable .

Todd & Meg

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

I can tell you from a guy with more than I can count back injuries but no surgeries (yet), that it is all the seat. Ride means nothing if your back is killing you in 15 minutes of driving. And for me our Rubicon seats are great for my back. It has good lumbar support and on long trip I bring a lumbar pad (looks like a miniature sleeping pad) for extra support if needed.

You said you are having cervical surgery and having nerves cleaned up (microdiscectomy). Is that the same surgery? Generally microdiscectomy are not done in the cervical spine, an antior fusion gets better results with shorter recovery time.

Good luck,

Todd

Jeepmedic46

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

I got a surgical date for my cervical spine in April. It’s 2 different surgeries. The one in April is fusing 3 discs and is supposed to help my neck and shoulder pain as well as my headaches. Then I have to have something done with my lower spine to take away the pain in my right leg so I can walk without a cane and be able to stand. Rest of my back he doesn’t want to touch. I thought about a wrangler but I have to get a older one. I remember my 02 sport was very comfortable.

Wanderer

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Carlsb CA
First Name
Ralph
Last Name
Jeffery
Member #

I just had backbsurgery 3 weeks ago mine was pretty minor i was in excrutiang pain my whole right leg hurt all the time i couldn't sleep and there was no position i coild lie down in it was my L4/5 . Ironically the only time i was comfortable was driving my new 2018 jlur my operation was simple sluce me open peel the muscle and tendon aside trim the disc away sew it up & done .pain was gone lije some one turned off a light swtuch. Get a second opinion before you have any bsck surgery my borther had surgery on his back they put screws in and braces it was a long surgery 6 weeks later the surgery failed he had to have itvredone his xrays look like the terminator. This recovery for him is going well but he wont be back to full strength for 1 year... he drives a full size tundra loves it. My strong suggestion is get a second opinion my brother the one who had surgery is also a dr a neurologist. He said surgeins make a living by doing surgery the bigger the surgery the mire they get paid once you have discs fused your ability to move is severly altered find out why theybare being so aggresive in their approach. Your right leg being numb a) the time is just like mine was. I couldnt stand for more than 30 seconds it covered my whole leg and hip too. Constant pain always felt likevi had a sprained ankle toes felt like they were crushed and missing calf was in continuous pain. All that from just my L45. Why wpould you have the lumbar fused .? the pain you describe sounds like mine and it was justv.L 45? As far as your neck goes just went through a lot of that with my wife we thought she had a pinched nerve luckily not unlucky what it is though during that ordeal
We found that most neurological surgeons are extremely hesitant to touch a neck too much can go wrong with dire consequences
i think the seat idea is the best driving position will be a factor the tacos and 4 runners have terrible positioning IMHO land cruiser is good and the jeep wrangler is good so mybe add some larger tires you can run at lower pressures soft compliant shocks once you have surgery there is no going back getting old ain't for sissies good lucjk

Jeff B

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Putnam County, New York, USA
Member #

I will be honest here. I have an 05 TJ and a 15 JKU Willys. The TJ has a stiffer suspension on it, maybe because it is a lot lighter, but the seats are more comfortable. I have never had any concerns with the seats in it and to this day I find it more comfortable than the 15. The TJ is standard shift and has a very light clutch making it very easy to drive and even learn on. As far as ride quality, they both drive more like a truck. My dad had a 97 Grand Cherokee which had a more supple ride overall. Depending on your height, the Grand Cherokees have more leg room than a standard Cherokee. Just some food for thought there.

Jeepmedic46

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

I’m going to be having surgery in April on my neck. Hoping to be able to buy something after. I like seats that sit up more with no recline. I’ m Going to check out peoples suggestions.