Have you Steen it! Oct 4-7, 2018

• HTML tutorial

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
Have you Steen it! Oct 4-7, 2018

SW Idaho Overlanding is making a trip to the Alvord/Steens area in South Central Oregon Oct 4-7, 2018.

Day 1 Thursday 4th: Since everyone will be driving in Thursday I am thinking a short trip to look at Borax Hot Springs and then the Alvord Fort site (as best as I can tell). Then over to the Alvord Desert to spend the first night. Alvord Hot Springs is in the area if anyone is interested in a soak in the evening. I believe it is a pay area now.

Day 2 Friday 5th: A full day of travel to check out a few sites in the area. Mickey Hot Springs. Interesting, but again too hot to get in. Alberson Station (ruins), Tudor Barn (ruins), Folly Farm (ruins), and Malheur Cave. Then over to the Narrows for another fuel stop and lunch, if we make it in time. After fueling up the plan is to head south to Diamond Craters, Pete French Round Barn, Diamond (town) and then to Frenchglen area for Saturday night. There are two campgrounds in the area. Steens Mountain Wilderness Resort and Page Spring Campground. The resort is a pay site, I am not sure about the campground.

Day 3 Saturday 6th: Travel the Steens Mountain Loop and head back towards Fields. There are a couple of sites I would like to hit if time permits on the way. I am now planning to spend the night at Bog Hot Springs, east of Denio Junction. It is about 38 miles from Fields by road.

Day 4 Sunday 7th: Say our goodbyes and head home.

Notes:
-Day two is a pretty ambitious day. If I feel we are running out of time I will delete the Craters, barn, Diamond loop to get us back on track.
-Total mileage of the loop from Fields to Fields is 345 miles. -From Fields to the Narrows is 160 miles
-From the Narrows to Fields is 186 miles
-From Fields to Bog Hot Spring is 38 miles
-Plan fuel around these numbers.
-The Narrows and Fields are the only two dependable stations to fuel up in the area.
-Frenchglen is said to have fuel from time to time, but is iffy.
-Denio Junction is said to have fuel now. Not confirmed.
-The Fields-Denio Road is know to be hard on tires. Street tires are not recommended on this road.
-The Fields-Denio Road, Diamond Crater Road and the Steens Mountain Loop Road are the only portions of the trip that will have long durations of travel on dirt.
-There are a few side trips that will be short sections of dirt.
-Gas is getting expensive and it will probably be even more expensive at the Narrows and Fields.

Ok. Hope this is informative enough to help you out with your planning. This is not set in concrete so if anyone has ideas or questions feel free to ask.

This is not a guided tour and all who attend are ultimately responsible for their own safety. I am not responsible for damage, injury and or death. You partake under your own free will knowing the dangers of such activities.

See you on the trails George.

Reactions: PB&Me

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Awesome! Your trip planing is some of the best I've seen. Have you been using the Rally Point for your trips?

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
Awesome! Your trip planing is some of the best I've seen. Have you been using the Rally Point for your trips?
Thanks for the kind comment. No I am not using Rally Point as of yet. Thanks for the heads up on it. I might consider it in the future.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Thanks for the kind comment. No I am not using Rally Point as of yet. Thanks for the heads up on it. I might consider it in the future.
Im willing to walk you through it when you decide to use it. I can also send you a step by step instruction next week if you want Just PM your email address.

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
Im willing to walk you through it when you decide to use it. I can also send you a step by step instruction next week if you want Just PM your email address.
Thanks, I watched the video and checked it out. Looks pretty straight forward. George.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
Have You Steen It?
October 4-7

Time: Boise Group 7:00am. Fields Group 12-1pm.
Meet Place:
(Boise Area Group) Chevron 5644 Buntrock Rd,
Marsing, ID 83639 Hwy 95-55 Junction.
(Other Groups) Fields General Store Motel & Gas 22276
Fields Dr, Fields, OR 97710
Destination: South Central Oregon
Estimated Duration: 4 days 3 nights
Estimated Distance: 850 miles (Boise to Boise)

This trip is 1 1/2 weeks out.

Those who want to convoy to Fields from the Boise area can meet at the Chevron at 5644 Buntrock Rd, Marsing, ID 83639, at the Hwy 95-55 Junction at 7:00am.

Fields, Oregon is our destination and others can meet us there. I am hoping to be there between 12pm and 1pm if all goes well.

So plan on lunch at Fields. I have had their milkshakes years ago so I hope they are the same. I also hear they make a mean burger.

Bring some firewood if you can. Between all of us we should have enough for the whole trip.

peterver63

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Mount Vernon, WA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Verschoor
Member #

I won't be joining you on this trip, but will be going to the same area soon. The DNR website is not clear on whether camp fires are allowed - at least I didn't find much info. Is it? Do I need a permit, and if so, where can I get it? Thanks and enjoy the trip!

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
Trip looked like a blast....sorry I had to miss it. Unfortunately I'm in the moving in phase at my new Home in Bend Oregon. Look forward to getting in on one of your trips in the future.
Sounds good. Looking forward to meeting you! I probably will not be posting up future trips until January at this point. Keep your eyes open. George.

Reactions: Chadlyb