Have you ever tried negotiating access to ranch land?

• HTML tutorial

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO

Here in Arizona we have a ton of public land. Much of the BLM, state trust, and federal land is publicly accessible, but from time to time a rancher will but up locked gates to block access. From my understanding this is legal for them to do, but I believe they have to make a case before doing it. Along the borderlands this seems to be more common due to the smuggling traffic, but i've seen it in other parts of the state as well. Ranchers will close off land access due to destruction and vandalism of the trails and land - and rightly so.

I do much of my adventure routing and planning in Google Earth, looking for very remote places of interest or historic value. I plan multiple backup routes in the case of locked gates, and sometimes i just have to totally give up on a target destination.

This weekend I was trying to make it out to something that i really wanted to see and all my routes were blocked. Normally it doesn't bother me, but for whatever reason this one really stung me. It got me thinking about whether or not it's worth trying to talk to the ranch and get permission to access. Have any of you ever tried going this route?

Do you have any tips or experience related reaching out to land owners or ranchers to request access to either private or public land?

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Having grown up on a ranch, I find out who has control and give them a call. I start by explaining my background and that I grew up fixing fences trespassers ruined and I would never do that. I also mention that I carry a personal liability insurance policy. I politely ask if we might work something out. If the land offers fishing, I offer to split the catch with them. The same goes if there is hunting. I have even done a day or two of helping them for long term access.

Being polite and respectful has never failed me.

Jorrie

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Durbanville, South Africa
Member #

A locked gate is locked for a reason. I had a rancher fire at me with a shotgun.... Luckily the day ended with us being invited for dinner at his house.

Laud

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Southeast Arlington TX
First Name
Laud
Last Name
Maroney
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
-KG5QHC-
Service Branch
Air Force and Army
Its all in your approach. County tax information is public and held at the county court houses. This is where I start looking for information. Send them a letter and the neighbors. Once contact is made, present your case and treat them as you would want to be treated. You will be surprised what a good conversation can lead to.....

Reactions: brien

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
County tax information is public and held at the county court houses. This is where I start looking for information. Send them a letter and the neighbors.
This is great advice, thank you!

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

Its all in your approach. County tax information is public and held at the county court houses. This is where I start looking for information. Send them a letter and the neighbors. Once contact is made, present your case and treat them as you would want to be treated. You will be surprised what a good conversation can lead to.....
Much of that is online now too, depending on the county. Look for the County Appraisal District or Tax Assesors website. For example, in Tucson: http://www.asr.pima.gov/Home/ParcelSearch