Have we considered???

• HTML tutorial

Sheepdog831

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Boulder Creek CA
Member #

Hey admin team, curious if we have considered putting together a binder of “recommendations” for starting a local group. I know Kent R has been pivotal in mentoring me and directing our group, but just wondering if we have thought of collectively writting a manual?

Also, what about a recommendened training manual for group leaders? I realize something like this would be incredibly time consuming, but I would not approach you with something that I am not personally willing to contribute to. It seems that the growth is rapid and having a resource like that would be incredibly helpful and create a standard for a solid foundation for those seeking this out. This would all be left to the implementation of the groups to use what works for them and to what extent they want to get into this, but I think having a reference would be very beneficial. With the growing interest, we don’t want anyone to put themselves, their families and especially children in compromising situations when they are just trying to have fun but may have gotten into a situation that exceeded their skill set or equipment capabilities.

I am personally not an overlanding expert, but I think that a leader could find folks in their areas to help with these subject matters. I also think that we may have very gifted people who may want to invest in teaching and leading in specific areas but can’t offer themselves to be leaders due to other commitments. But I think we should help those who are willing to step up and lead.

I am willing to assist with something like this and have many resources to help me put together a format for OB if you guys would be interested. As always, thank you guys for what you do, we all benefit from your passion and drive.

Respectfully,
Dan

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

@Sheepdog831

Great suggestions, Dan, and all being considered and worked on in various ways. I love how you asked "Have WE considered?" Personally, I think guides and how-tos like you're asking about should be member-driven.

Steps are being taken to do just what you're asking about, and we're making it member-led. Because of his selfless giving in cleaning up local trails and forest, I asked @theBROFESSOR to consider submitting a how-to on running a Trail Guardian clean-up. He did, we shaped it, and he posted his wonderful Organizing A Trail Guardian Cleanup Event. It is now stickied at the top and is bound to be a great guide to both OB members and public for years to come. I've asked another member to consider submitting a similar piece providing tips on how to post informative trip reports. There are all sort of things being worked on and considered.

I think an info/reference piece for group leaders and a how-to for starting local groups go hand in hand and are not separate. I also think that with the improvements coming to the site and adding specifics to member profiles that a number of other leaders will emerge, like @Kent R and yourself, that have been instrumental with ideas and helping each other. I've already asked to see what else may be in the works, but would like you and @Kent R to think about and make a few notes as to what's working well and what could work better as you shape the new group you're working on. I'll make sure it becomes part, or is the foundation, of a guide for local groups and leaders.

Cool?

Road

theBROFESSOR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Conway, Arkansas
Member #

As it takes many different parts to make up a body...and all have their own individual function and purpose...so do members of a group. Everyone in this group has gifts, abilities, likes, dislikes, favorites, and passions. We are all fueled by those things. It is good that @Road and some of the other leaders are asking those in this group to give input on those areas where they feel like they have passions and/or gifts. That input will help us all gain insight into this concept and way of life. I look on here every day for such insight. From dutch ovens to packing ideas to organizing events to just checking out pics and videos. It all is a learning process and fuel that drives my passion. It would be nice to put all of these ideas into one specific place such as a book that you speak of. But with so many variables in this way of life that change everyday I'm not sure you would be able to keep that book updated as fast as the change comes. It's hard to keep up with the instantaneous internet and the memory storage that it provides to be able to access everything from today's way of doing things and for those who like the "old school" way.

Personally I do a lot of printing. Working as a School Resource Officer I am blessed to have tools available to me that I can use. Printers, 3 hole punches, copiers and binders are all at my disposal. Articles I find such as The Ultimate Overlanding Checklist and The Ultimate Camping Checklist are things that I print out and put in my binder. Sometimes I modify them a little in Microsoft Word and then print out so that they fit my way of life. That is my book I never travel without. The pockets hold printouts and signups for our Volunteer Service Agreements that everyone must sign for the Federal Government when we volunteer on our TrailGuardian Trash Runs along with the maps we will use.

It just works best for me to have something where I can put in and take out. Update and throw away. This way of life is an everchanging book that is not the same for those out west and for those in the central forest mountains. It is different for those in Big Sky Country who deal with the rock formations and large terrain and those of us in the dense forests that deal with so many trees and creeks. Not sure that there could be one set of ways that would be applicable to all. Not sure it would even be able to fit inside a book. I have read overlanding books and realize that so little of it applies to me because it is written by someone overseas or out in California.

So I just research and look on here and other sites. When I find something I can use and it is helpful. I push print. Cut holes. Insert into the binder. Just my way.

Sheepdog831

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Boulder Creek CA
Member #

Great perspective! I’m new so the wheels are spinning in my mind. And yes, as I was writing the original post I’m thinking to myself that it’s kind of a dynamic hobby and such a document would be a “living” ever changing piece. Can you guys recommend some of your websites that you use as your “go to”? Thanks for taking the time to help.

Last edited:

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Great perspective! I’m new so the wheels are spinning in my mind. And yes, as I was writing the original post I’m thinking to myself that it’s kind of a dynamic hobby and such a document would be a “living” ever changing piece. Can you guys recommend some of your websites that you use as your “go to”? Thanks for taking the time to help.
Not sure if you're talking to BROfessor or me or both as to perspective, which potentially living document you mean (a how-to tips guide?) or what "go to" type things you mean? Websites we go to for what?

I'm gonna go get my 1st cup of coffee. Been at this 3.5 hrs already this morning, talking with members and fellow mods and solving the world's problems and haven't even gotten dressed or had b'fast! Then will check back. Go get yourself a coffee, Dan, its only 6:48 out there!

EDIT: Ohh, I get it. I've been outdoors and walked down the street with my kid for a coffee. Fresh air and a walk; that's what we're all about here at Casa Road.

So, yes, a document that helps others start and lead new local groups will definitely be a living thing, modified as needed and as the nature of OB and local groups grow and change.

I see it as a general guide, with tips, not rules or specific steps, but what has worked for others and what they wish they would have done better to keep their group successful and active. I'd like to see it being posted here in the forums and made a sticky at the top, so everyone can see it and be encouraged without having to ask for it.

Then they can print it out if they like into a binder. I don't think it needs to be a long thing, not a lengthy manual. This can be an organic and general guide that can then be tailored by each local group. What works in Santa Cruz might not fly the same way in East Oshkosh.

Let's hold off though, and not get the cart before the horse. Just putting feelers out there right now as to what you think.

Road

Last edited:

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
@Sheepdog831

Great suggestions, Dan, and all being considered and worked on in various ways. I love how you asked "Have WE considered?" Personally, I think guides and how-tos like you're asking about should be member-driven.

Steps are being taken to do just what you're asking about, and we're making it member-led. Because of his selfless giving in cleaning up local trails and forest, I asked @theBROFESSOR to consider submitting a how-to on running a Trail Guardian clean-up. He did, we shaped it, and he posted his wonderful Organizing A Trail Guardian Cleanup Event. It is now stickied at the top and is bound to be a great guide to both OB members and public for years to come. I've asked another member to consider submitting a similar piece providing tips on how to post informative trip reports. There are all sort of things being worked on and considered.

I think an info/reference piece for group leaders and a how-to for starting local groups go hand in hand, and are not separate. I also think that with the improvements coming to the site and adding specifics to member profiles that a number of other leaders will emerge, like @Kent R and yourself, that have been instrumental with ideas and helping each other. I've already asked to see what else may be in the works, but would like you and @Kent R to think about and make a few notes as to what's working well and what could work better as you shape the new group you're working on. I'll make sure it becomes part, or is the foundation, of a guide for local groups and leaders.

Cool?

Road

I will send you a PM in a while

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I will send you a PM in a while
Looking fwd to it. No rush though; it's all in the formulative stages and I'd like to hear back from the big kahunas first.
I have a plenty full plate this week, too, getting my wheels and trailer ready for this weekend's East gathering.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Looking fwd to it. No rush though; it's all in the formulative stages and I'd like to hear back from the big kahunas first.
I have a plenty full plate this week, too, getting my wheels and trailer ready for this weekend's East gathering.
Sent

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Road, @BROFessor

Not sure if you're talking to BROfessor or me or both as to perspective, which potentially living document you mean (a how-to tips guide?) or what "go to" type things you mean? Websites we go to for what?

So, yes, a document that helps others start and lead new local groups will definitely be a living thing, modified as needed and as the nature of OB and local groups grow and change.
When talking about living documents I'd suggest deploying a Wiki rather than a sticky post on a forum. I find that stickies tend to collect. Then the top of each section becomes a page full of sticky posts that users need to wade through before getting to the conversations. My suggestion would be to use a forum thread to brainstorm ideas and then take the best ideas and create a wiki page. The Wiki pages can be edited by the group and offer the ability to export to PDF or MSDoc format for printing handouts, checklists etc... It is also fairly easy to build templates so that all of the Wiki pages can have the same look and feel and represent the OB community.

Boort

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

@Road, @BROFessor

When talking about living documents I'd suggest deploying a Wiki rather than a sticky post on a forum. I find that stickies tend to collect then the top of each section becomes a page full of sticky posts that users need to wade through before geting tot eh conversations. My suggestion would be to use a forum thread to brainstorm ideas and then take the best ideas and create a wiki page. The Wiki pages can be edited by the group and offer the ability to export to PDF or MSDoc format for printing handouts, checklists etc... It is also fairly easy to build templates so that all of the Wiki pages can have the same look and feel and represent the OB community.

Boort
Hey @Boort - I appreciate the suggestion and I'm sure it will be one of many things considered as this evolves, though I think we might be talking about two different 'living' types of documents. Perhaps living is not the best word for this. I continued to use it after it was used in a previous post.

When talking about a guide for local groups as a living document, I mean the finished guide, not the process of creating that guide or the conversation about creating the guide. Living only in the sense that it will be revisited periodically to ensure it is still valid in what it suggests and is helpful to those looking for guidance on forming local groups. Like the groups it has helped foster, it will change over time, but not on a frequent enough basis to warrant a wiki page. In the case of this guide I think it would get muddied beyond belief.

I certainly don't want stickies to become so numerous at the top of a forum page that no one pays attention to them, or for the Tips Guide to get lost in the fray. I have confidence it will evolve into a good way to get the best and most helpful information to those who are looking for it.

As Michael mentioned in conversation earlier today about the guide members have suggested, "let's provide resources and tools for new group coordinators to set things up."

I appreciate the suggestion, and will bring it up. I think it could certainly be helpful in certain situations as growth continues.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

Hey @Boort - I appreciate the suggestion and I'm sure it will be one of many things considered as this evolves, though I think we might be talking about two different 'living' types of documents. Perhaps living is not the best word for this. I continued to use it after it was used in a previous post.

When talking about a guide for local groups as a living document, I mean the finished guide, not the process of creating that guide or the conversation about creating the guide. Living only in the sense that it will be revisited periodically to ensure it is still valid in what it suggests and is helpful to those looking for guidance on forming local groups. Like the groups it has helped foster, it will change over time, but not on a frequent enough basis to warrant a wiki page. In the case of this guide I think it would get muddied beyond belief.
Thank you for taking time to consider this.

I think Living document is a fitting way of describing this type of guide.

The nice thing about the Wiki is that it can be as static or dynamic as needed for the topic. My team at work uses a private Wiki for creating and referring to detailed technical information. We update the documents when needed as the topic and environment warrants it. Some documents are updated weekly others only every year or so. For the Local Group How-to I would expect that this would be a document that would change a lot in the first year or so as new groups form and the best practices are uncovered. After that it would become more stable and only update as it is refined to reflect things that work in different areas or ideas start to superseded procedures in the document.

2 other benefits of the Wiki format are that
  • It would allow many people to work on the document where as the Sticky thread limits the voice to the original poster and Mods with the power to edit other's postings. Regular users can only post replies which can get lost pages down in the conversation, requiring the OP or Mod to populate the data back into the original post.
  • Wiki also offers a robust history feature where edits can be restored from previous versions.
Drawbacks include having another software environment to maintain and possibly integration issues depending on if XenForo has a wiki integration already or not.

Boort

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Thank you for taking time to consider this.

I think Living document is a fitting way of describing this type of guide.

The nice thing about the Wiki is that it can be as static or dynamic as needed for the topic. My team at work uses a private Wiki for creating and referring to detailed technical information. We update the documents when needed as the topic and environment warrants it. Some documents are updated weekly others only every year or so. For the Local Group How-to I would expect that this would be a document that would change a lot in the first year or so as new groups form and the best practices are uncovered. After that it would become more stable and only update as it is refined to reflect things that work in different areas or ideas start to superseded procedures in the document.

2 other benefits of the Wiki format are that
  • It would allow many people to work on the document where as the Sticky thread limits the voice to the original poster and Mods with the power to edit other's postings. Regular users can only post replies which can get lost pages down in the conversation, requiring the OP or Mod to populate the data back into the original post.
  • Wiki also offers a robust history feature where edits can be restored from previous versions.
Drawbacks include having another software environment to maintain and possibly integration issues depending on if XenForo has a wiki integration already or not.

Boort
Cool, cool, Boort, I appreciate you taking the time to 'splain things a bit further, and yeah, I can definitely see the advantages of employing a Wiki page in certain situations. I'll be sure to bring it up both in general for potential future uses, and for this in particular to see how it might fit into software plans already in motion.

Much appreciated!

Road

Reactions: Sheepdog831

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Michael, Corrie and moderators in the conversation all agree the guidelines are a great thing to have in place, and that Kent and I can work on putting a guide together based on the work he has contributed to the formation of several new locally-based OLB groups.

I'll be reaching out to some of the local group leaders for additional input, as well as to existing moderators/Ambassadors for their experience.

This is how Overland Bound works; members working together.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed thoughts in this thread.

Road

Sheepdog831

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Boulder Creek CA
Member #

You guys are good people, thank you for taking the time to explain these things. I understand there are many things happening behind the scenes that I’m not aware of, but it’s encouraging to know that things are happening as we speak! Thanks again for all the behind the scenes work to help knuckleheads like me have safe / fun adventures!

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
You guys are good people, thank you for taking the time to explain these things. I understand there are many things happening behind the scenes that I’m not aware of, but it’s encouraging to know that things are happening as we speak! Thanks again for all the behind the scenes work to help knuckleheads like me have safe / fun adventures!
We will talk later! ;-)

Rubyredfozzy

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Fort Mitchell, AL, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Welch
Member #

Good work bringing this matter up. I've been a part of a few groups for different things and its not easy getting a group going or keeping it going after its begun. I love the idea of the local get togethers and this organization could greatly benifit from the many areas bonding together to make OLB even better. I love the fact that there are members who want to step up in thier regions and help out. Can't wait to see where it goes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Sheepdog831

MrCoffee

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Springfield, Vermont
First Name
Chuck
Last Name
U
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB1PMW
Hey admin team, curious if we have considered putting together a binder of “recommendations” for starting a local group. I know Kent R has been pivotal in mentoring me and directing our group, but just wondering if we have thought of collectively writting a manual?

Also, what about a recommendened training manual for group leaders? I realize something like this would be incredibly time consuming, but I would not approach you with something that I am not personally willing to contribute to. It seems that the growth is rapid and having a resource like that would be incredibly helpful and create a standard for a solid foundation for those seeking this out. This would all be left to the implementation of the groups to use what works for them and to what extent they want to get into this, but I think having a reference would be very beneficial. With the growing interest, we don’t want anyone to put themselves, their families and especially children in compromising situations when they are just trying to have fun but may have gotten into a situation that exceeded their skill set or equipment capabilities.

I am personally not an overlanding expert, but I think that a leader could find folks in their areas to help with these subject matters. I also think that we may have very gifted people who may want to invest in teaching and leading in specific areas but can’t offer themselves to be leaders due to other commitments. But I think we should help those who are willing to step up and lead.

I am willing to assist with something like this and have many resources to help me put together a format for OB if you guys would be interested. As always, thank you guys for what you do, we all benefit from your passion and drive.

Respectfully,
Dan
While I am not at mentor level or anything close, I am more than happy to contribute in anyway I can. I have some available time to maybe help organize/index the info, help with formatting.

Just let me know if I can assist [emoji41]

Sent from my SM-T377R4 using OB Talk mobile app

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

While I am not at mentor level or anything close, I am more than happy to contribute in anyway I can. I have some available time to maybe help organize/index the info, help with formatting.

Just let me know if I can assist [emoji41]
Thank you, much appreciated!

I don't see this as being an overly involved or lengthy set of guidelines, at least right now, that will need an index or formatting, really. Just a small set of suggested guidelines with some tips that others have found helpful in starting their groups; a general guide of how to get a local OLB group going and what that group's natural leaders can do.

If it evolves into more of an OLB local groups handbook as time goes on, however, I'd like to keep you in mind. For that and perhaps for other projects/efforts that may need exactly what you're offering.

This is one of those things that will end up being available to put on one's profile as skill sets, etc, so we can all see who is good at what and what they might be willing to contribute to the membership.

Thanks again for offering to help!

*makes a note - send MrCoffee my daughter's college papers to index. . .

Road