Rank V

Advocate I

TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Jowers
Member #

TLDR; For folks running with the T4, T4 Plus, or T8, how do you transport it? If you're putting it on the roof rack, how tough is getting the T4 Plus or T8 up there?

Ok, to make the long story as short as possible... Managed to land a T4 Plus when Gazelle had a few last month (still hoping for a T4, but didn't want to risk not having anything come Expo East). Rig is 2021 Grand Cherokee, pretty much stock at the moment, which means no cross bars on the roof rack. Now, if it really came to it, I could put the tent in the back, and just shift the cooler position and all to accommodate it, but I'm trying to avoid that. Ultimately, I'm hoping to have a fridge/cooler slide next to my drawer cube (both the whole platform is removable), which would mean I wouldn't have room for the tent inside as it's a couple inches wider than the inside of the rear doors. I plan on getting a Chief roof rack next year, so I need something for the short term, and I'm trying to decide between getting a cheap set of cross bars, or a hitch mount cargo carrier.

The hitch mount idea has the advantage of being low, which means not trying to lift the bulky and not to mention 50lb T4 Plus up to the roof rack. Plus, probably a little better on the gas mileage front. On the con side, it would limit off road capability in the short term as it kills departure angles. And as I'm building a drawer cube with a slide out for the cookstove, I'd have to remove it when stopping to be able to access the back (without destroying shins). Back on the pro front, even once I get a permanent roof rack, I'd have that as an extra option when I needed.

The cross bars would be a temporary solution until getting a better one, but would hold the tent, would not need to be removed on site, and wouldn't change off-road capabilities. But...it does mean having to shove that thing up there, not to mention the efforts to strap it down. And ultimately a throwaway solution. I suppose I could sell the bars, but probably not for a ton.

So for the folks who are rocking the Gazelles, how do you transport them? If you put them on top, is it crazy trying to get them up on the rack?

zgfiredude

Rank VI

Steward I

Silt, CO, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nichols
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
Get the factory cross bars and put it up there. Do some squats and dead lifts with it and it will get easier to put up there :wink:

Seriously though.....on a hitch hauler it will get filthy all the time. You'll be able to sell the factory cross bars easily if you choose to later on......check on your local Craigslist for possible used ones.

Reactions: Moebius01

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I have the T4+ and a 2004 4Runner and a 1989 full size Bronco… I have back and knee problems, and I have no problem sliding the T4+ onto the roof racks of either rig. Like @zgfiredude said, just get the factory cross bars and don’t look back.
356750CD-94C8-454C-AA52-7237391A32A9.jpeg

Wellspring

Rank II

Enthusiast III

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Spirakis
I have a Tacoma with a 6' bed, and Leer cap, and pack it away back there. I will be getting a Yakima or Thule Skybox storage design eventually that will be long enough to pack it up there, and that will be my final solution. I can pack the tent, and other sleeping gear up there as I already have the truck cap rack bars on rails. I eventually want to purchase the T3 when they come back in inventory, and that would be easier to manage, as there is only two of us.

socal66

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Covina, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sampson
Member #

I just strap it down in the center of the roof rack. It takes the full length of my Rhino rack but in a way the length helps with getting it on and off the rack. Just place one end on the rack and you can then push the whole tent bag up and have it slide down the length of the rack. Getting the tent bag down is just the simple reverse of that with the rear end of the rack again managing the weight of the bag.

2EDC9BAE-11AB-4F2B-BD1B-33BEB8325A3A.jpeg

Eddy G

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Guyton, GA, USA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Gagne
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN3DDY
I was wondering the sme thing. I don't mind putting it on the roof rack, but to those who have, how waterproof is it when driving thru rain? Am i going to be unpacking a soaked tent?

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I was wondering the sme thing. I don't mind putting it on the roof rack, but to those who have, how waterproof is it when driving thru rain? Am i going to be unpacking a soaked tent?
Right before that picture was taken, we went through a bad cloud burst. Heavy rain for about 20 minutes. When we got to camp, the tent was dry as the Sahara Desert.

Eddy G

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Guyton, GA, USA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Gagne
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN3DDY
Thanks, I would rather put it on top and save space inside.

Contributor III

Simcoe, ON, Canada
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Ratch
I have a T8 and a T4. The 4 is light enough to toss up, the 8 I lean against the rear gate and slide it up. I also use a patio umbrella cover to keep it dry (waterproof). I’ve driven through rain storms and the tent is dry, outer bag is wet though ( tent is loaded into cover then into tent bag). Love the Gazelle products!
2B2FD4E8-3820-463A-9685-41D4A245E2D1.jpeg

Reactions: Wellspring

Wellspring

Rank II

Enthusiast III

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Spirakis
I have a T8 and a T4. The 4 is light enough to toss up, the 8 I lean against the rear gate and slide it up. I also use a patio umbrella cover to keep it dry (waterproof). I’ve driven through rain storms and the tent is dry, outer bag is wet though ( tent is loaded into cover then into tent bag). Love the Gazelle products!
View attachment 208476
My wife and I have been using our T4 for 3 years now, and love how easy and fast it is to set-up and take down, especially when we arrive into a camp spot late at night. Holds up well in heavy rain and wind, as well.

Moebius01

Rank V

Advocate I

TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Jowers
Member #

Is anyone hauling a Gazelle strapped to cross bars? I've ordered some temporary cross bars until I get a Chief rack some time early next year, but that means the tent would be suspended on the two bars. Trying to decide if I'd need some kind of plank, or not.

Contributor III

Simcoe, ON, Canada
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Ratch
Is anyone hauling a Gazelle strapped to cross bars? I've ordered some temporary cross bars until I get a Chief rack some time early next year, but that means the tent would be suspended on the two bars. Trying to decide if I'd need some kind of plank, or not.
Should be fine. Mine sits across the front and rear basket sides on my setup and it’s been no issues. Only two small contact points actually holding it up. Cinch it down tight and be on your way.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Using the cross bars what the majority of us do. Check out post #3

Moebius01

Rank V

Advocate I

TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Jowers
Member #

Using the cross bars what the majority of us do. Check out post #3
Actually, that pic looks like it’s sitting flat on the roof and strapped to the side rails, which is why I was wondering.