• HTML tutorial

Joey D

Rank IV
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Holladay, UT
Member #

This is something I've been thinking about lately and I was curious to get the input of fellow OB members since this feels more like a genuine group of overland enthusiasts instead of the "trendy" folks I'm talking about in this post.

I've noticed overland is becoming more and more mainstream, what used to be car camping and exploration has now become something huge with a much larger market, which is both a blessing and a curse. With more interest in the hobby comes more ideas, more stories, more aftermarket support, and hopefully a greater awareness of the outdoors and why they are important. However, with the good also come the bad, those who are looking down upon others because they can't (or don't want to) afford top of the line gear, those who destroy lands by doing "hold my beer and watch this" kind of antics, and those who are just all around jerks making the community look bad.

I almost feel like there's a large subset of people now who are merely doing this because it has become the in thing to do and have developed this holier than thou attitude towards others. To illustrate this point, over the past couple of days I've had various conversations on other forums about my truck and it's latest modification, a CBI bumper, and a whole slew of other overland related discussions. When I posted about my truck I was immediately called out for not having a winch, getting a bumper made of aluminium, and not buying an ARB, which made me a little confused. I have no need for a winch, to me it's an extra cost and weight that won't get used. Aluminium bumpers are significantly lighter and easier on the suspension components since they're about 100lbs lighter. An while I really like ARB bumpers, CBI is located 3 hours north of me and being able to support a smaller company and save on shipping seemed like a win-win for me.

I've also been called out for not having a RTT, something that I personally don't believe is worth the cost when I have a perfectly good ground tent and 6ft truck bed with a topper for if the weather gets unpleasant. I get that some people love them, and I'm all for people putting them on their rig, I'm sure they find immense value in having them. Same goes with a fridge, an awning, a massive drawer system, etc.

I also hear a lot is "oh you have light bars but no locker, must be a mall crawler". I personally see no need for a locker, I understand their usefulness and I'm sure many people do actually need them, but I haven't encountered many places where I even need 4WD, let alone a locker. I've always been under the impression that you should use what you got until it's not suited for what you're doing anymore then upgrade.

So this has lead me to believe that overlanding is becoming "trendy" and there's more and more people out there just buying gear for the sake of buying it and never actually using it except to assert some sort of "I am better than you" presence or win imaginary internet points, which I believe goes against the spirit of overlanding in general. To me overlanding is about running what you got, exploring the country, accumulating stories, and mostly just having fun whether you're in a clapped out Ford truck from the 80's held together with chewing gum or a full on expo fitted Land Rover that could probably make the Darien Gap look like child's play.

And this is also why I think Overland Bound is so great, it shows me that there are plenty of people still out there to have fun and don't care what you drive, where you drive it to, or how much gear you have. There are plenty of rigs on here that people obviously put a lot of time, money, and effort into to get them to where they are, however I've never seen anybody talking down to anyone else because they don't have the latest and greatest and it seems like everyone is always willing to lend a hand or at least lend some knowledge.

So I leave you with this, do you think overland has become trendy and do you think it's impacting the community negatively? I'm genuinely curious to see if it's just the folks I talk to, or if this is part of a larger issue brewing in the overland community as a whole.

Adventureswithlaylay

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Van nuys
Member #

I too have thought about this. I feel that lately it has become very popular. It has its pros and cons. Ive met some amazing people that genuinely love the outdoors and exploring. And ive also met people that have brand new rigs with top of the line gear but cant name a favorite campground or trail. Ive also met a few guys from other groups that immediately shut me down for not being as equipt as them or not spending as much as them. You can always tell the genuine from the fake.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using OB Talk mobile app

LukeD

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Atascadero, Ca (Central Coast)
Member #

I see it like this. "Trendy" overlanding is only trendy to those that are...."trendy". Haters are going to hate no matter what, trolls are going to troll no matter what. Some people are going to spend money on gear that they'll never use because they never do anything but mall crawl, in essence it all becomes "bling" and that's all they want it for. To these types of people it's about status, but every once in a while one of these people takes a trip and the light bulb goes off, the attitude changes from elitism and all about them to what overlanding is all about...."It's not what you drive" or "what you have" it's the people and the experiences.

Personally I seem to connect best with owners of hard used rigs, no matter what they are. Anytime see a well used (not neglected) truck, suv, bike, whatever I give a thumbs up. At least once a week someone will say "man that van is sweet, where do you take that thing?" and I say "clearly anywhere it will fit". Every once in a while someone will say "damn what happened to your van?" and i'll say "what do you mean?" my custom Sierra pin strips?" and chuckle.

Social media doesn't help, it's like a contest for who can post the best photos, trips, whatever. I get it, I sometimes post something but it feels weird because I'm not bragging but I feel like I might be to some people. At the end of the day if i'm out having a good time with like minded people that's the only fuel I need for my fire. Those with brand new, unblemished everything are actually missing out in my opinion, but some people get a thrill from mall cruising so I don't hate on that.

Overland on Joey

LukeD

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Atascadero, Ca (Central Coast)
Member #

And you know what the best way to handle this is? Just brush it off and Overland on without them, they'll find their group of like minded. Remember they are genuine something and that's cool too, just not for me haha

I too have thought about this. I feel that lately it has become very popular. It has its pros and cons. Ive met some amazing people that genuinely love the outdoors and exploring. And ive also met people that have brand new rigs with top of the line gear but cant name a favorite campground or trail. Ive also met a few guys from other groups that immediately shut me down for not being as equipt as them or not spending as much as them. You can always tell the genuine from the fake.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using OB Talk mobile app

Jasonb

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgetown, California, United States
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Bath
Member #

Hello! That is a vary interesting point! I will tell you what I have seen over the years. Granted I'm not that old , but! I have been off roading for a vary long time. When I started off road driving, I bought a 1983 toyota 4wd for 600 bucks. Lifted it for another 400 bucks. Back then, jeeps ruled the road. I knew these would catch on though. Now look , they had there hay day and now 4 door jeep are back in. What I'm getting at is its not so much as a trendy movement but a natural progression. People who built hard core wheelers when they are young, need family rigs now. And with every aspect of a sport or way of life, you will get the band wagon folks. But I would suspect that demographic is a fraction of the overlanding population. These are just thing I have noticed in my own circle of wheeling buddies that I have had since the beginning. I remember 3 years ago talking to a buddy predicting the progression to overlanding. I'm not saying I can see into the future but I do pick up on the trends in the off road community. I wouldn't necessarily say the people who want to outfit and NOT explore are causing harm to the true over landers .but! The are bringing more attention to the way of life. Maybe inspiring some folks to build rigs and use them. Maybe we can see them as The gate way to a demographic videos can't reach? Just one man's perspective. This is a great topic by the way.

Sent from my SM-N920V using OB Talk mobile app

Philbobagginz

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Brick, NJ
Member #

No matter what you do in life there will always be "those guys." While I do think that the overlanding scene has gotten trendy, I also think that while people can have their opinions on what's good and what's not, as long as you're getting out to explore and do what you love then who cares what they have to say about it.

Joey D

Rank IV
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Holladay, UT
Member #

Loving the input so far!

Social media doesn't help, it's like a contest for who can post the best photos, trips, whatever. I get it, I sometimes post something but it feels weird because I'm not bragging but I feel like I might be to some people. At the end of the day if i'm out having a good time with like minded people that's the only fuel I need for my fire. Those with brand new, unblemished everything are actually missing out in my opinion, but some people get a thrill from mall cruising so I don't hate on that.
The social media thing is a good point. I have an Instagram page for my travels so I can connect with like minded folks, share pictures, and just check out other rigs. I've actually connected with a lot of great people that way, but on the flip side that is where I see the most negativity and elitism. Some of the Facebook pages I'm come across are terrible, but unfortunately you don't really know till you join up with them.

VDawg1115

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Oakland, CA
Member #

I think overlanding itself has not necessarily become trendy but certainly the gear has. Car camping has been around and a lot of overlanding goes hand in hand with just off-roading. But throwing the label "overlanding" on it and having all this specific gear for overlanding has made everything trendy. RTTs, maxtrax, drawer systems etc. The get out there spirit is all the same though. Just as in off-roading, there's always haters and naysayers. Dare to be different, that's always cool. The same people who have a lot of negativity to spread around are usually the same guys that would trash a campsite

VDawg1115

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Oakland, CA
Member #

I have to agree that it is the "in" thing right now but that will soon fade and the people that are left doing it are the people that really enjoy it.

Sent from my SM-G930T using OB Talk mobile app

True. People who don't truly love it will drizzle out because doing something you don't truly enjoy becomes difficult to keep up

Rogue Beardsman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rotonda West, Florida
Member #

The more things change the more they stay the same

This is why i really enjoy overland bound. Its definitely different from other forums and has an acceptance not seen in many hobbies or lifestyles.

I think. Like most things we find important. Sharing our knowledge and awareness to others is the best way ti deal. If someone is not interested. Thats okay too. One day these same types might be on the same trail or spot. I know i wasn't always a traveler or adventurer. But here i am now.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

chuckoverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Spokane, WA
Member #

We had already done "overlanding" in an old chevy cavalier, a jetta, an accord, and an 90 chevy hi top van, we just heard of overlanding after a season of getting dirty with the new tires on chuck. For us the RTT is about convenience and space saving in the bed, everything else we went diy budget as much as we could.
I guess what im getting at is that its cool to have found this community that wont look down on us for being cheap. We work in a restaraunt so we cant make all big purchases at once. (And screw paying interest on credit)

chrispartida

Rank VI

Advocate II

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Partida
Member #

I for one welcome our trendy over(land)lords.

Here's how I see it. If you are even pretending to go adventuring, you're gonna want to fit in. That said, no one is going to want to piss off he people already out there exploring, and people are (hopefully) going to respect he areas we all use to get away. If that means a few mallcrawlers fill up their rand new trasharoos while on that fire road, great.

Plus, just think of all he future Craigslist deals once they're "over it"...

-Chris
OB# 3276
CP TACO

Ironhide Fx4

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

VT
Member #

This forum is a fantastic place to learn and meet people. It is not 100% true on all the other forums.

That said I find there is much more good in this community than bad. Unfortunately i ran into a group at an event last year that was part of the trend. It was a packed event that was very tight. I had set up where I could find space. This group of 3 brand new Toyotas with brand new gear, awnings and all that parked right on top of me. Which is fine, it was a tight event. However, they made it abundantly clear that my wife and I had screwed up their plans for staging their camp site. They had printed sat images with there convoy set up on it. I was in there zone unfortunately. There really was not much i could change about it, I would have preferred a better spot as well but you cant always do that.

As the day went on they tried to make a fire but couldn't, they didn't know how to properly. I helped with some kindling and tinder i had. They welcomed that but then ignored us in an awkward way. I had hoped we could share a fire, being there was not room for another ring. I took the hint and walked back. The next day they went on their way. My wife and I were cleaning up and I noticed these people left their fire going unattended and paper scraps loose all over the place in the wind. I put the fire out, cleaned up the mess and went out for the day.

That day I ran into some folks on the trail. They were great people and super friendly. They let my wife and I join their convoy on the trail. We had an awesome day. That night they let us join them at their fire. We are now all friends and look forward to the same event this year.

There may be some people that just aren't with it. However there are so many more great people here that lead to lasting memories and friendships. Ill take the minor bumps in order to build those memories.

Billy "Poserlander" Badly

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

I agree to a point. But there's always some vehicle specific trend happening. Fast n Furious ruled ten years ago. Around here (Ohio) it seems to be diesel pickups with open 6" exhaust creating locomotive sized black clouds...

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
I try not to judge, but I really dislike the "rolling coal" trend.

As for this overlanding business, I'm a bit of a trend hopper myself, to some extent. Prior to discovering this site, I just considered myself a car camper with a penchant for exploring (usually in vehicles not exactly designed for the back country). Now, there's a cooler name for it, and I'm getting into modifying my rig to make it more stable/capable. This site is invaluable, because there's an incredible amount of knowledge here, and everyone shares it with goodwill and enthusiasm. As long as newbies maintain that spirit, I welcome all, whether they've got a fully kitted jeep paid for by daddy or a 1985 dodge caravan with peeling wood panel on the side...