Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I'm happy with it but my wife hates it says that there is no room I always have to repack it for her lol
Well I'm single and don't need a big ref. Medicine, milk, creamer, butter, misc. bottle goods like catsup, mustard and pickles and a few ice cubes would suit me fine. How long have you had it ? Thanks for this, it may just be what I need if the price is right. Wally world has a nice one for $99 but it's about 3 feet tall. I have one I bought used about 3 years ago for $50 and it is very efficient. I use it for almost everything and only have to defrost it about every 3 months or more.

Reactions: DoggMan1163

DoggMan1163

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Big Sandy, TX, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Well I'm single and don't need a big ref. Medicine, milk, creamer, butter, misc. bottle goods like catsup, mustard and pickles and a few ice cubes would suit me fine. How long have you had it ? Thanks for this, it may just be what I need if the price is right. Wally world has a nice one for $99 but it's about 3 feet tall. I have one I bought used about 3 years ago for $50 and it is very efficient. I use it for almost everything and only have to defrost it about every 3 months or more.
It's about half the size of Wally world fridge right now I have 2 steaks in the freezer stew meat and 4 hamburger patties had more than that in it the fridge part I have a 1/2 gallon milk ketchup mayonnaise mustard cheese butter marinade lunch meat and half dozen eggs Walmart has a version of it for 600. Kenworth was around 750 800 I've had it for a little more than a year and the 12 volt ice chest I keep water in

Influencer II

Riverside,CA
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Cochran
Member #

Actually, nothing elite about it. It is called going into debt. Home Equity loans, VISA and financing thru the vender,, plus leasing the truck. We could ALL go there if out ego was bigger than our wallet. But me, I like shopping in garage sales for my overlanding supplies. Way more fun.
Rofl, not everyone goes into debt to do what they love. Some people may actually save and pay cash for their equipment [emoji16]

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Rofl, not everyone goes into debt to do what they love. Some people may actually save and pay cash for their equipment [emoji16]
If you make over $110K a year maybe ! You don't do it on $15 /hr ! The truth in your statement is "SOME", I would say "FEW" to be more accurate !

Reactions: Jeremiah Johnson

hidesertwheelin

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

High Desert, So Cal
Member #

Opinion: Keeping places secret is a short-term vision. You can't. You won't. You'll die on that hill. It's not Instagram, or Facebook, or Google Earth or <insert whoever you want to blame> that is impacting our public lands. Its population density and technology. You can't stop either.
You are correct, but I am not going to just give gps coordinates to someone who just expects them. You guys can share what you want, I will not be doing that.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Seems like a CA problem. Everyone from CA is saying the same thing.

The midwest is the most litter free it's been in my lifetime. Parks in NY, PA, WV, OH, MI, look perfect. Better than ever. If anything, they're asking for more visitors, and apparently more willing to point out the fun spots so my family isn't bored on a nondescript dirt trail with nothing to see on it.

If I take my family on a long off road journey, and miss most of the good spots, it'll be our last overland journey. I won't get many second chances, when overlanding has to compete with regular camping combined with diving or other activities.

• Wow
Reactions: sabjku and Brewbud

Dave K

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Tracy California, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
K
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6PXJ
Perhaps one thing you are not factoring into your opinion of some of those in CA having the response that they do is the fact that the western US states has an abundance of free open space. Not parks. Free. Open. Space. As someone who is from Ca, lived in the upper Midwest for over a decade and came back to Ca, I am well versed in the lack of anything comparable in other parts of the country. Many parts of the US are confined to a very limited amount of free space and getting away from people is inherently difficult unless you are camping in a corn field. Are people in CA (and the Western US in general) a bit more protective about preserving that space? Bet your ass they are! After living in the Midwest, I am as well. I think you’ll find most of these same people quite willing to help people out and give help, advise and coords to some of their favorite spots once they feel someone out and are convinced that they are real, responsible, respectful and will be a good steward of they information they are given. I do not want to show up to my favorite spot and find it trashed. As such, I don’t just go telling everyone where those spots are. But I’ve told some and I would be please to show up and run into those people.

In the west it sure isn’t hard to find a road leading away from the hoards. Keeping that way is a bit tougher. I understand the desire to visit new places and wanting help and advise in finding those places. I understand how limited the opportunities are and the miles involved finding them in other parts of the country too. Fact is.. this boils down to a catch more flies with honey situation. Your current tactic may be a bit less productive.

Last edited:

Influencer II

Riverside,CA
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Cochran
Member #

If you make over $110K a year maybe ! You don't do it on $15 /hr ! The truth in your statement is "SOME", I would say "FEW" to be more accurate !
Yeah, but we have a lot of our group that hang in tough on trails and they don’t make that much cash. I’m not poking fun at this thread in any way just to be clear [emoji4] it is crazy what some of these companies charge tho [emoji17]

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Rofl, not everyone goes into debt to do what they love. Some people may actually save and pay cash for their equipment
There's a very wide continuum between $110K/yr and $15/hr and a lot more folks than you might think who are thrifty, able to save, and pay cash for good equipment. I'm one of them.

But as @Michael said, why don't we worry about out own wallets. Speculating about others is just that, speculation.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

If nothing more from this thread, I hope we see the need to be respectful of others and a good example of the right attitude in our Overland community! Our actions show and have much more weight with someone wanting to know more about this hobby than the words we say or write. This is my own opinion, Vance.

Reactions: sabjku

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Entitled much?
You are correct, but I am not going to just give gps coordinates to someone who just expects them. You guys can share what you want, I will not be doing that.
This is too ironic. Has Overlanding become elitist? Well, here is a great example... If a person is posting pictures of a camp area and bragging how great it is, it is only logical that someone will ask where it is, ESPECIALLY on sites like this. Calling someone "entitled" for being interested and asking a question about it is very strange. If anything, I would consider that person to have an elitist attitude by bragging about a special knowledge that only HE has and then asserting his "power" over another person by not telling them. If you have such a great and secret place you don't want to share, keep it TOTALLY to yourself then, don't post for the world to see and then bitch when someone asks about it.

FORTUNATELY, 99.9% of the people on here don't seem to have that attitude. Many threads on here are specifically about people who found a good deal or a cool piece of gear and are wanting to share that info with others. If I'm on here bragging about a great deal I got on a Warn winch, I would logically expect interested people to ask where I got it. Are they "entitled" to my "special knowledge"? If I'm posting about it on here, I would have to say YES.

th (5).jpg

Last edited:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
There's a very wide continuum between $110K/yr and $15/hr and a lot more folks than you might think who are thrifty, able to save, and pay cash for good equipment. I'm one of them.

But as @Michael said, why don't we worry about out own wallets. Speculating about others is just that, speculation.

ROAD, I was defending Billybobs statement prior to Steve-Cochran's. Neither my statement or Billybobs statement had anything to do with what @Michael was speaking too. Steve-Cochran's reply to me ??? I don't even know what he is talking about from his answer.

(Yeah, but we have a lot of our group that hang in tough on trails and they don’t make that much cash. I’m not poking fun at this thread in any way just to be clear
it is crazy what some of these companies charge tho
)

He was the one who mentioned paying cash instead of using borrowed money to buy a rig or equipment.
I simply stated not all people have anything to save at the end of the month when working for substandard wages. Anyway people can obtain their stuff (outside of theft) is fine with me and I could care less about what they have or how they got it. I hope this will clarify my position on this subject. You , me and Billybob are on the same page as I see it.
Lanlubber

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
This is too ironic. Has Overlanding become elitist? Well, here is a great example... If a person is posting pictures of a camp area and bragging how great it is, it is only logical that someone will ask where it is, ESPECIALLY on sites like this. Calling someone "entitled" for being interested and asking a question about it is very strange. If anything, I would consider that person to have an elitist attitude by bragging about a special knowledge that only HE has and then asserting his "power" over another person by not telling them. If you have such a great and secret place you don't want to share, keep it TOTALLY to yourself then, don't post for the world to see and then bitch when someone asks about it.

FORTUNATELY, 99.9% of the people on here don't seem to have that attitude. Many threads on here are specifically about people who found a good deal or a cool piece of gear and are wanting to share that info with others. If I'm on here bragging about a great deal I got on a Warn winch, I would logically expect interested people to ask where I got it. Are they "entitled" to my "special knowledge"? If I'm posting about it on here, I would have to say YES.

View attachment 109208
Me thinks you kinda hit the nail on the head. Ya got it, ya got it. You get the worm- - - op's sorry, you get the spam...

• Haha
Reactions: grubworm

hidesertwheelin

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

High Desert, So Cal
Member #

[/QUOTE] This is too ironic. Has Overlanding become elitist? Well, here is a great example... If a person is posting pictures of a camp area and bragging how great it is, it is only logical that someone will ask where it is, ESPECIALLY on sites like this. Calling someone "entitled" for being interested and asking a question about it is very strange. If anything, I would consider that person to have an elitist attitude by bragging about a special knowledge that only HE has and then asserting his "power" over another person by not telling them. If you have such a great and secret place you don't want to share, keep it TOTALLY to yourself then, don't post for the world to see and then bitch when someone asks about it.

View attachment 109208 [/QUOTE]

Think what you want. I do not care and will never change my mind. I have seen to many great places ruined by the hoards. Not of these places are really secret, and with just a little bit work, they can be found online easily. People who just demand to know the places will never get that info from me.

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

Yeah, I'm not geotagging everywhere I go and sharing locations either.
If that offends someone... That's on them.

There's a difference between sharing a love of the outdoors and telling everyone about your favourite spot(s).

I spend a fair bit of blood, sweat, tears, and yes money... To get to a spot nobody else is at.

I can't believe everyone here does NOT share that same goal to a certain extent at the very least.

So if everyone would quit finding things to be offended at, that'd be great.