Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Big Sandy, TX, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Let me start off by saying, being on disability I may be biased, but still no need to rip me a new one. I watch many, many overlanding videos from all kinds of overlanding Youtube channels, and I have yet to see one, except "iamjake" that doesn't have $10,000 or close to it (usually more) worth of gear on their rigs. Now I'm not talking about people that live in their rigs full time, but rather those that go for a few days at a time or less. Now I know it's very difficult to not pay a premium to get out there. I mean even good tires can be $1,000 or more a set. Just seems to me that overlanding has gone the same way SUV's, Harleys, trucks, and other things have gone. They got popular by people with pretty good size budgets, then parts costs skyrocket because a lot of people can afford it, and the little guys like me get left out. Now I can and do go out there as far as I can for now but I'll bet my gear costs less than $300. You work hard I know, I don't begrudge you that, you earned it GREAT. Just sucks to not see people more like me out there too.
I used to go offroad in a 1971 oldsmobile delta 88 put it in places you would never expect it to go and had a blast doing it the gear just makes life a little easier do you need it for heaven sake no I've spent alot of money on what I have now and keep thinking about the old days and the fun I had with nothing but a car and a ice chest and blankets knock on wood I've never been stuck so bad that I couldn't get out but its nice to be able to help others who are with the gear I have accumulated over time and I also know that being disabled makes it harder to do things so hats off to you for having the courage to get out and explore when you can

hidesertwheelin

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

High Desert, So Cal
Member #

None of those people will share gps trails or campsites, so to heck with them.
Entitled much? Have you seen the damage to sites that the hordes do? I won't publicly share places either. Also, the exploring is part of the fun. Just go out and drive. People share general areas. Go there and then explore.

Last edited:

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
You sound like fun. Since you have no useful trails or gps spots, I'll just add you to ignore.

That's some pretty elitist selfish gatekeeping. We're not all CA slobs.

Last edited:

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Have you seen the damage to site that the hordes do? I won't publicly share places either. Also, the exploring is part of the fun. Just go out and drive. People share general areas. Go there and then explore.

Been a bunch of articles the last couple years about social media, geotagging, and sharing of exact locations and coordinates contributing to an increase in visitation to sites like Mt Rainier at a rate seven times that of population increase. From April 2018 in Seattle Times: Instagram Effect?

Too many people are going directly to sites like Mt Rainier or Horseshoe Bend or any number of other places instead of being on actual adventures and exploring.

Numerous national organizations and publications, from Leave No Trace to National Geographic to Roadtrippers and Adventure Journal and even photo journals like fStoppers and many more have asked folks to think twice about geotagging or giving out exact coordinates, and to embrace "Digital Leave No Trace" principles because of the damage the increase has caused.

Whether 'overlanding' or hiking or camping, it is resulting in overtourism.

It's one thing to share with a friend the cool spot you camped, hiked to, or where you took photos. It's another thing entirely to broadcast it to the world via social media or adventure forums like this one.

It is irresponsible, really, and is a practice we should all think twice about before doing.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
That's great. Those parks are just for you, right?

Looks like overlanding IS elitist now.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
You sound like fun. Since you have no useful trails or gps spots, I'll just add you to ignore.

That's some pretty elitist selfish gatekeeping. We're not all CA slobs.
Uncalled for name calling is not helpful to your opinions. Just agree to disagree. Everyone is entitled to their opinions here on OB but keep it civil please !

Boucher

Rank V

Member II

Maidens, VA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Boucher
Member #

Service Branch
Retired USN
Publishing routes and coordinates is just asking for hordes. Far better to share that information back-channel so it isn't all over every search engine.
So I'm curious Then why have all these forum discussions of trip planning, local meetups, and routes, it is not that hard to figure out where to go based on just reading peoples post on here, I'm sure if you were savvy enough you could pull metadata from the pictures posted on here. This is just my opinion I've been doing Overlanding around the world before it was an in-thing.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I prefer to publish a area without the details or the directions. I like "discovering" a spot for myself. If I post about a spot in Baja It will be the closest point or bay. I'll let you figure out how to get there. Surfers and Fishermen don't give up a spot easily or to strangers, I am both. I am far more likely to give up the beta about a spot over a fire or a beer than on the internet.

hidesertwheelin

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

High Desert, So Cal
Member #

So I'm curious Then why have all these forum discussions of trip planning, local meetups, and routes, it is not that hard to figure out where to go based on just reading peoples post on here, I'm sure if you were savvy enough you could pull metadata from the pictures posted on here. This is just my opinion I've been doing Overlanding around the world before it was an in-thing.
Because it allows you to meet people in person. If I meet someone and they seem like a responsible steward to the community, I have no problem sharing info with them. I'm not going to drop coordinates on instagram for the group of 75 instrabos to show up and destroy a place.

hidesertwheelin

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

High Desert, So Cal
Member #

I prefer to publish a area without the details or the directions. I like "discovering" a spot for myself. If I post about a spot in Baja It will be the closest point or bay. I'll let you figure out how to get there. Surfers and Fishermen don't give up a spot easily or to strangers, I am both. I am far more likely to give up the beta about a spot over a fire or a beer than on the internet.
Same thing with hunters. No one is giving their honey hole up to people they don't know.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I stumbled on this forum and the definition of Overlanding when I started to research RTTs after seeing some on some vehicles on the military base I work on. I like to hunt and camp deep in the woods and that to me falls into the definition of what Overlanding is. What I started to learn here is there are better ways to camp for longer durations of time with products that have been developed for Overlanding. Yes, I learned they can be pretty pricey but with a kid in college my finances are tight so I started building my Overlanding rig using my paid off 2011 4 wheel drive F-150 with around 120,000 miles on it. Before getting a RTT I needed a rack to put it on but didn't have the $800-$1000 to buy one these companies are selling at over inflated prices IMO. I was able to build my RTT rack using Superstrut material that I found at my local Lowe's and Home Depot stores. I used all stainless steel .5" hardware to put it together and kept the total cost under $200. I don't have the most expensive solar panel and my Ebay bargain portable fridge showed up dead on arrival. After the seller said I didn't need to send it back and refunded my money I was able to open it up and fix it giving myself a free fridge. I still have things to buy to complete my Overland Rig build but will get things as I can afford them and build things I can to save money. I ignore all the posers with the big fancy rigs that have never left the pavement, my truck has scratches and dents from the 120,000 + miles I've put on it going through the woods. I even ripped a fender flare off once. I didn't buy my 4x4 to look pretty, it's a work truck and takes me hunting or camping wherever I want to go!

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Been a bunch of articles the last couple years about social media, geotagging, and sharing of exact locations and coordinates contributing to an increase in visitation to sites like Mt Rainier at a rate seven times that of population increase. From April 2018 in Seattle Times: Instagram Effect?

Too many people are going directly to sites like Mt Rainier or Horseshoe Bend or any number of other places instead of being on actual adventures and exploring.

Numerous national organizations and publications, from Leave No Trace to National Geographic to Roadtrippers and Adventure Journal and even photo journals like fStoppers and many more have asked folks to think twice about geotagging or giving out exact coordinates, and to embrace "Digital Leave No Trace" principles because of the damage the increase has caused.

Whether 'overlanding' or hiking or camping, it is resulting in overtourism.

It's one thing to share with a friend the cool spot you camped, hiked to, or where you took photos. It's another thing entirely to broadcast it to the world via social media or adventure forums like this one.

It is irresponsible, really, and is a practice we should all think twice about before doing.

Road is right. The whole adventure, in my opinion, is finding the places for your self. I don’t give out the exact location of great camping or mountain springs, because finding them myself while out exploring is part of the whole adventure for me. I will help you with the right stream and what fly worked for me, but no way would I give you the GPS information to my favorite fishing hole. My guess most of you feel the same. Overlanding is the same mindset for me anyway. Get out and experience the adventure and exploring new places is what makes the trip special. Vance.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I stumbled on this forum and the definition of Overlanding when I started to research RTTs after seeing some on some vehicles on the military base I work on. I like to hunt and camp deep in the woods and that to me falls into the definition of what Overlanding is. What I started to learn here is there are better ways to camp for longer durations of time with products that have been developed for Overlanding. Yes, I learned they can be pretty pricey but with a kid in college my finances are tight so I started building my Overlanding rig using my paid off 2011 4 wheel drive F-150 with around 120,000 miles on it. Before getting a RTT I needed a rack to put it on but didn't have the $800-$1000 to buy one these companies are selling at over inflated prices IMO. I was able to build my RTT rack using Superstrut material that I found at my local Lowe's and Home Depot stores. I used all stainless steel .5" hardware to put it together and kept the total cost under $200. I don't have the most expensive solar panel and my Ebay bargain portable fridge showed up dead on arrival. After the seller said I didn't need to send it back and refunded my money I was able to open it up and fix it giving myself a free fridge. I still have things to buy to complete my Overland Rig build but will get things as I can afford them and build things I can to save money. I ignore all the posers with the big fancy rigs that have never left the pavement, my truck has scratches and dents from the 120,000 + miles I've put on it going through the woods. I even ripped a fender flare off once. I didn't buy my 4x4 to look pretty, it's a work truck and takes me hunting or camping wherever I want to go!
Good post Scott. This thread has gotten off the subject " Has overlanding become elitist ?" Thank you for your input.
We (you and I) have discussed on many occasions this issue and what elitism means to us. Nether of us (and many more OB'ers) would be called an elitist by the strictest standards of the word. I think we both look up to those who have accomplished their OB goals, which I think is to build a rig to go where we all want to go, whether it be to the technical road courses (rock crawlers comes to mind) or just overland on the trails that we call adventure trails.. Secondly we want to have the equipment (hand made or purchased) related to our overland effort. In your case there are those who buy the truck bed rack or build one from Superstrut material to save money they don't have available. In the racing world we use to call it "not taking food off the table for our hobby" ! There are people who have even less money than you and would build their rack out of pallet wood if it would accomplished the intended use. I applaud all methods of accomplishing this feat. I have seen your truck bed rack and it is nothing to be ashamed of and it pushes you further down the road to your ultimate goal of having a rig that serves it's purpose and allows you move on to the next stage.
I prefer to start with an older vehicle myself. I also prefer to not use the family vehicle or best car in the garage to use as my OB rig. My everyday driver will never be used for my OB rig. At least not the one I will use for the boondocking in off road country. Others may and that's their choice, it's okay because not everyone has 2-3 cars sitting around to play with like me. I prefer to buy used when the object is available, build it if I can, buy it new when I have no other choice. If there is anyone out there who is an elitist, it has nothing to do with their rig. Elitism is an attitude not a product. We use to call them what they are "Ass Holes". It exist in all walks of life. I don't know how one becomes an A.H. exactly but I know they are there. Are they going to change my life or my thinking ? NO !

Thank you all for listening to my rants. If I had a wife to listen to me you wouldn't have to suffer these posts.
Lanlubber

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Good post Scott. This thread has gotten off the subject " Has overlanding become elitist ?" Thank you for your input.
We (you and I) have discussed on many occasions this issue and what elitism means to us. Nether of us (and many more OB'ers) would be called an elitist by the strictest standards of the word. I think we both look up to those who have accomplished their OB goals, which I think is to build a rig to go where we all want to go, whether it be to the technical road courses (rock crawlers comes to mind) or just overland on the trails that we call adventure trails.. Secondly we want to have the equipment (hand made or purchased) related to our overland effort. In your case there are those who buy the truck bed rack or build one from Superstrut material to save money they don't have available. In the racing world we use to call it "not taking food off the table for our hobby" ! There are people who have even less money than you and would build their rack out of pallet wood if it would accomplished the intended use. I applaud all methods of accomplishing this feat. I have seen your truck bed rack and it is nothing to be ashamed of and it pushes you further down the road to your ultimate goal of having a rig that serves it's purpose and allows you move on to the next stage.
I prefer to start with an older vehicle myself. I also prefer to not use the family vehicle or best car in the garage to use as my OB rig. My everyday driver will never be used for my OB rig. At least not the one I will use for the boondocking in off road country. Others may and that's their choice, it's okay because not everyone has 2-3 cars sitting around to play with like me. I prefer to buy used when the object is available, build it if I can, buy it new when I have no other choice. If there is anyone out there who is an elitist, it has nothing to do with their rig. Elitism is an attitude not a product. We use to call them what they are "Ass Holes". It exist in all walks of life. I don't know how one becomes an A.H. exactly but I know they are there. Are they going to change my life or my thinking ? NO !

Thank you all for listening to my rants. If I had a wife to listen to me you wouldn't have to suffer these posts.
Lanlubber
Awesome post LOL! You said pretty much what I'm thinking when it comes to Elitism! For the very same reason I won't buy a Yeti unless by some amazing sale it comes down in price to what other coolers made like it sell for. I still probably won't buy one just because of the way they overpriced their coolers and all their other products. They claim to appeal to the outdoorsman but I know many who can't afford their over priced products. I did discover RTIC and have been buying their coolers, I've also seen Igloo with some good coolers priced fairly!

hidesertwheelin

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

High Desert, So Cal
Member #

Putting semi-derogatory labels on people who are just trying to enjoy a hobby seems to be a way of alienating others. Superiority and inferiority complexes divide people and shouldn't have a place in our community.
My goal is to keep lands open and free for people to use, and if my "semi-derogatory labels" offend some, I don't care. I will not apologize for labeling people who continually have a track record of destroying areas just to get some likes on social media. I don't care what you drive, what you camp in, what kind of gear you have...... but I do care that you got there in a tread lightly manner, and looked after the area like it were your own home.