Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
So in other words,how much do i need to spend to not be called an elitist,there must be a number
I don't think elitism has anything to do with how much you spend. We all have our budgets whether we spend a little at a time or do it all at once, and like all hobbies there is a never ending effort to improve your status or goals. Elitist is an attitude that is projected by the feeling of superiority when in fact does not exist. It's an opinion that is held by those who have no respect for the efforts of others and their accomplishments. An elitist is a person who can never be satisfied that he doesn't have the best of everything and constantly buys to show his superior buying power over his piers, you can never be better than him in his eye's. He is the person who brags to be the best, but in a foot race would come in last. It's the adult version of a bully who insist and tries to convince his piers that he'd the toughest kid in the block by beating up the weakest kid in the block !
Can you relate to that ?

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

O'boy do we have elk all over my area here near Silver City in the Gila-Mimbres area. It's even harder to hunt elk than deer since only a limited number of tags are issued by a state draw. I almost hit a big cow elk a couple of years ago that crossed in front of me on a narrow winding road. She was so big the bottom of her belly was level with the top of my ole 84 Lincoln town car. Her head was at least 2 feet long.
Hauling cattle is a hard job, my buddy use to haul them between his dedicated truck driving job on his time off. Toughest man I ever knew. Law enforcement is a tough job these days. I couldn't do that job because I am so opposed to so many laws we have these days. I'm afraid I may be more sympathetic to the so called law breakers that the police have to arrest because it's there job. I call them blue laws, passed by people who really don't know anything about justice.
Cattle hauling is very hard work. Half the reason why I go out of the business. Got very burned out running the bull hauler schedule. Plus the rates got cut where fuel and repairs was making it hard to make any money!

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Cattle hauling is very hard work. Half the reason why I go out of the business. Got very burned out running the bull hauler schedule. Plus the rates got cut where fuel and repairs was making it hard to make any money!
I dont know why it's always like that. The guys who own their own businesses are the hardest workers making the least pay. It's not your fault when the price of fuel jumps around and is unstable, mechanics start wanting $100 an hour, or you blow a $500 tire, always the inside tire and have delays in deliveries usually because of someone else's mistakes. I can go on all day griping about the misery of government rules and regulations that hamper business owners needlessly. Then you pay out big bucks for a piece of equipment that the gov. make you depreciate over 10 years when you have to spend the money all at once. No justice for hard working people any more. Sorry People, I got carried away with my beef... It's not easy to climb to the top of the elitist poll if that's your goal.

Reactions: grubworm

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
You need to become a book keeper, they know where all the money is or isn't :wink:

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

I dont know why it's always like that. The guys who own their own businesses are the hardest workers making the least pay. It's not your fault when the price of fuel jumps around and is unstable, mechanics start wanting $100 an hour, or you blow a $500 tire, always the inside tire and have delays in deliveries usually because of someone else's mistakes. I can go on all day griping about the misery of government rules and regulations that hamper business owners needlessly. Then you pay out big bucks for a piece of equipment that the gov. make you depreciate over 10 years when you have to spend the money all at once. No justice for hard working people any more. Sorry People, I got carried away with my beef... It's not easy to climb to the top of the elitist poll if that's your goal.
You are 100% correct! With a semi its not a couple hundred to fix things with parts and 120.00 an hour diesel tech and its always couple thousand. You blow one tire thats 500.00 but spend all day waiting for it to be repaired and the mobile tire guy makes more money than tire is worth! My last big repair i was down for three weeks waiting for parts and a radiator recore. Got it running 100% sold it that next month wasnt making enough with the rates to keep it going. Sold everything. I agree with you on the the regs and rule of everything.. its all pretty much set up that they favor the big companies to push the guys working for them selves out of business.

I also agree with you on the law enforcement stuff a few posts. Its almost like you cant win in anything you do. New regs new laws. I am a huge constitutionalist. One of the reasons why i want to be an officer of the law. Stand up for whats right also be there to protect our way of life. In a nut shell. I can go on and on. Like you can i am sure. Like minded people are good to have.. not to many people like that anymore. Specially in my generation and the coming.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Speaking as a 12 year LE veteran in Canada, we have several profoundly moronic or severely flawed laws and regs that I have to enforce on a daily basis. It's very frustrating, but the rule of law, the cherished legacy and cornerstone of western civilization, demands that I enforce the laws as they're written, not as I wish they were. I often have to remind people I'm dealing with that they wouldn't want to live in countries where ground level LE make up the rules as they go along. I also urge them to write to their MP in an effort to fix the stupidity of some of the laws we have on the books. I despair of any positive change as long as we still have the vapid, sycophantic, entitled man child of a PM we have now.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
You are 100% correct! With a semi its not a couple hundred to fix things with parts and 120.00 an hour diesel tech and its always couple thousand. You blow one tire thats 500.00 but spend all day waiting for it to be repaired and the mobile tire guy makes more money than tire is worth! My last big repair i was down for three weeks waiting for parts and a radiator recore. Got it running 100% sold it that next month wasnt making enough with the rates to keep it going. Sold everything. I agree with you on the the regs and rule of everything.. its all pretty much set up that they favor the big companies to push the guys working for them selves out of business.

I also agree with you on the law enforcement stuff a few posts. Its almost like you cant win in anything you do. New regs new laws. I am a huge constitutionalist. One of the reasons why i want to be an officer of the law. Stand up for whats right also be there to protect our way of life. In a nut shell. I can go on and on. Like you can i am sure. Like minded people are good to have.. not to many people like that anymore. Specially in my generation and the coming.
Hang in there Casey, there ARE more people like you than you know. We are called the silent majority and can only be pushed so far before we speak up or take action. There are more crazies out there in this world than we know. Just stay locked and loaded for when the time comes, and it looks like it will, that you will have to be a pretty bad guy your self to survive. Just make it for the right reasons and causes. I believe the GOOD book has shown us what is to come and what we can or cant do about it. On the spur of the moment all Hell can and will break loose IMO.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
The guys who own their own businesses are the hardest workers making the least pay.. No justice for hard working people any more.
Sadly, that is the truth. I quit commercial diving after loosing everything I had in divorces and started a construction company. I got pretty big and had a big crew and bought a lot of equipment and was doing really good. I even started building strip malls for myself to rent and have for retirement. Gradually the insurance and taxes got out of hand and I was spending more and more time and money in court trying to collect owed money and it just got to be too much trying to accommodate all the ever changing building regulations. At 46 I quit and shut it down and just live off my strip malls and live a simple life traveling and working in my shop. That was 6 years ago and I honestly don't miss any of it. Its not worth it. Once you own something in the US, its an ever increasing struggle trying to keep it. And borrowing from the bank and going in debt is the kiss of death...

keeflester

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Carradale, Scotland
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Lester
Member #

I drive a stock transit van, AWD, converted it myself with comfy bed, decent fridge and a two ring and grill gas cooker. It’s all about getting out and doing whatever you can. We camp wherever we can find a quiet spot, leave no mess and move early every morning. No big wheels, no suspension lift, no engine modifications, no stress!CB9A90A7-BE5D-46CE-8F2D-87E6A7F670C1.jpegA9380478-1CBB-4500-BDE2-F635EA59AD6F.jpeg7F715D2D-6744-40F2-B450-F6C75B34F189.jpeg

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I drive a stock transit van, AWD, converted it myself with comfy bed, decent fridge and a two ring and grill gas cooker. It’s all about getting out and doing whatever you can. We camp wherever we can find a quiet spot, leave no mess and move early every morning. No big wheels, no suspension lift, no engine modifications, no stress!View attachment 108514View attachment 108515View attachment 108516
I think all wheel drive will get you down most roads okay. I have one but there is a no mans land for anything but a real transfer case 4wheel vehicle. Your okay on a maintained dirt or gravel road with 2wheel drive or all wheel drive. Just play it safe and smart. No one like stupid. Nice van BTW

Reactions: keeflester

JoelIII

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Camp Lejeune, NC
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Wasson
Member #

Let me start off by saying, being on disability I may be biased, but still no need to rip me a new one. I watch many, many overlanding videos from all kinds of overlanding Youtube channels, and I have yet to see one, except "iamjake" that doesn't have $10,000 or close to it (usually more) worth of gear on their rigs. Now I'm not talking about people that live in their rigs full time, but rather those that go for a few days at a time or less. Now I know it's very difficult to not pay a premium to get out there. I mean even good tires can be $1,000 or more a set. Just seems to me that overlanding has gone the same way SUV's, Harleys, trucks, and other things have gone. They got popular by people with pretty good size budgets, then parts costs skyrocket because a lot of people can afford it, and the little guys like me get left out. Now I can and do go out there as far as I can for now but I'll bet my gear costs less than $300. You work hard I know, I don't begrudge you that, you earned it GREAT. Just sucks to not see people more like me out there too.
Late to this discussion I suppose, but reading from your original statement and a lot of peoples replies here, maybe I'm wrong but I think some folks are missing what your were getting at. How I understood you was that, it seems that as "overlanding" has become popular in the social media scene, companies are capitalizing off of the rising popularity. With that we have seen a lot of new companies or new equipment coming available to the camping and off roading community that have huge price tags. You can go to your local sporting outlet store and find any piece of gear you could think of for camping or look online for rig equipment and the availability is insane. Big problem is this equipment, which yes a lot is not required per say is getting really expensive. And it does seem like you see a lot of these rigs online that are pretty decked out with big name brand gear. It would be great to have some of the top companies make excellent quality "inexpensive" gear for us at the low end to be able to play with as well... but that's not their reason for existence, they are around for profit and will follow the market.

As many others have said in this thread and all over the forums is that we don't need a lot of this equipment to have fun. I have a 2wd truck, yeah 4wd would be cool cause then I could get a little deeper in the woods but then again, that would get me into more trouble and harder to recover whenever I get stuck. With my current rig I'm aware of what it can and can't do so I apply the fundamentals and don't go to overboard.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Speaking as a 12 year LE veteran in Canada, we have several profoundly moronic or severely flawed laws and regs that I have to enforce on a daily basis. It's very frustrating, but the rule of law, the cherished legacy and cornerstone of western civilization, demands that I enforce the laws as they're written, not as I wish they were. I often have to remind people I'm dealing with that they wouldn't want to live in countries where ground level LE make up the rules as they go along. I also urge them to write to their MP in an effort to fix the stupidity of some of the laws we have on the books. I despair of any positive change as long as we still have the vapid, sycophantic, entitled man child of a PM we have now.
I would hate to be in your shoes my friend in Canada or in the USA, makes no difference. You called it right. We have many profoundly moronic, pathetic laws that they, the law makers, force law enforcement to enforce. With every arrest you make means someone (possibly innocent) must pay a lawyer somewhere to go to court for them. Domestic violence laws are the most abuse laws on the books as I see them. Men are always the bad guys in those cases I think you will agree.

Reactions: Viking1204