Has overlanding become elitist ?

• HTML tutorial

BensonSTW

Rank III

Enthusiast III

I get what you mean. One of my best trips was done in a 2009 4k euro Subaru Forester trough the Pyrenees mountains in Spain. About 900 km done on what I would call rough Forest roads. It was great. It was my return to the camping trips since I was a kid. This was 5 -6 years ago I think. In the mean time I changed vehicles, but you can have a lot of fun with almost anything.
Look at the guys who have been from Alaska to the tip of South America on a pedal bike. Anyone here have balls enough to tell them they aren’t overlanding? No roof top tent or slide out kitchen. Hell they don’t even have 4 tires. The one thing I can honestly say they have is my respect. It’s a trip I’m not sure I could even begin to do. I’d die of heart attach about the time I hit the next town over.

blackiestone

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Eureka, CA, USA
First Name
Laura
Last Name
Manzanilla
Member #

Turning point for my family on this subject happened this past fall. We had our fancy off-road trailer set-up to camp the night on Cedro peak in Nm. We had climbed ledges on a washed out trail to get to the spot we were camping for the night.

It was a fun pull up the mountain.

I was feeling smug about what our rig had done. Just then a Kia Optima pulls in to a spot across the trail and starts setting up camp.

What a refreshing reality check. Lol
I hear you... but then I could go anywhere in my old VW Golf. :)

Reactions: rgallant