Has anyone used a Hitchgate? Feedback?

• HTML tutorial

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

Everything I've ever tried to carry in a hitch receiver rattled until I couldn't take it anymore. I even bought a "hitch vise" and it did no good.

I imagine the weight of that thing plus a D-E load range 33" tire would break 100 lbs. Maybe it wouldn't rattle that much.

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

I'm not sure I would trust it, a tire is pretty heavy and there are multiple potential failure points on that: the hitch itself, the hitch pin, the hinge on the carrier, the arm, and the studs. A 265/75/16 BF Goodrich All Terrain in an E-load rating is not a lightweight bit of kit. Every bump will multiply the weight of the tire and how far it sticks out will multiply that weight again.

Honestly, I think a proper bumper that ties into the chassis would be much safer and last longer. Plus it won't drive you mad on a washboard road with the rattling.

Reactions: SLO Rob

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
I can't tell for sure but those look like double-shear hinge and pin. I would not hesitate to put a large tire on that at all, looks overbuilt to me actually, plenty strong. I don't have one, nor do I need one but if I was in the market, that would definitely be on the list.
It looks like they sell a double gerry can carrier as well, and that would add another 100 or so lbs. To me it looks like the only issue is the rattle thing on a bumpy road. ...just don't go on any bumpy roads! :tonguewink:

Dan.

hardtrailz

Rank V

Advocate II

Indiana
I have wheeled with people running a hitchgate and they work. They work well. You can build one cheaper, but they do as intended without worry.

I saw them hold up to tons of rough road and trail use with 33-35 inch tires as well as extras, like hilifts and shovels.

I built a fold down version before my rear bumper was done and it worked, but was in the way alot compared to one able to swing sideways.

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Another issue I might think is important to some is the angle of departure. My receiver is sort of my last line of defense when I drop off a ledge or transition to a steep slope. I know if I drag that, nothing is going to get hurt. If I were to have something in there it would definitely change where I go or at least how I would drive an obstacle. FWIW.
Dan

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
In the situation where you would drag during a departure, I wonder if it would be better to drag the hitchgate, mated to the hitch receiver, than dropping vehicle weight on a thin sheet metal bumper.

hardtrailz

Rank V

Advocate II

Indiana
I am sure it would be in that case. However if you already have the receiver as your spot to hit, the hitchgate will lessen the departure angle and add stress via the extra leverage to the hitch and mounts for the hitch.

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

HOLY CRAP! I didn't see the cost! Get a bumper from Hefty or Calmini for that much SHIPPED!

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

I didn't think calmini had anything for my rig. I'll look again. I'd really like a swing out, to get the spare out from underneath. While I use my roof rack, I'd like to keep that weight to a minimum, and have fuel, water, and spare over the bumper. (Without the huge cost of what I really want!)

Wolvee

ᕕ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ) ︻デ═一 pew pew
Staff member
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

I have been planning on getting one since no one makes a rear bumper for my truck. I know two people with them in the local group, one holds a 35" with a steelie and the other holds a 40". Neither have any trouble with them and they've been on for just over a year as they both bought them at the same time.

It also goes with the modular nature of my build. I'll take it off when I don't need it; like I'll do with my lights and rack.

briankennedy

Rank 0

Traveler I

For that amount of money I'd just wait and get a bumper with a swing out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

While I'd love one from cbioffroad or something, it is my DD, so while its wait and see right now, I may be with @Wolvee right now...wanting to be able to remove everything when I get home.

Reactions: Wolvee