Has anyone mounted a bladder tank for water under their roof rack?

• HTML tutorial

AllenC

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Sycamore, SC
First Name
Chip
Last Name
Allen
Member #

I am building a DIY roof rack for my son's 4runner and was thinking about putting a bladder tank for water under the rack. Has anyone done it? Is it a bad idea? I posted this some where on another part of the forum also. I am new and not sure what goes where.

theMightyGoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

It depends on how big the tank will be. A small tank, like those in the solar showers is fine. But if you're talking about a large tank, then I don't think you would want that much weight that high on the vehicle. Most builds have the water as low as possible because you want your center of gravity to be nice and low. Water is probably the heaviest thing you will be carrying in your car. I recommend keeping it low. When I was considering moving my spare to a swing-away bumper, I have a metal-fabricating friend who was going to build me a compartment where the factory spare goes, and install a plastic water tank. The metal shielding would just be to protect the plastic while on the trail. My plans have since changed, so I never did it.

Reactions: BBrennan and Road

AllenC

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Sycamore, SC
First Name
Chip
Last Name
Allen
Member #

I was thinkIng like 20 gallons or so that’s a little over 160 pounds. I hadn’t thought about under the truck. Jerry cans and Rotopax Take up a lot of space. We wanted to take a tripp to Grand Canyon this summer just trying to save space.

theMightyGoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

You would likely exceed the rating of any factory rack. I know you said you plan to install it under the rack. But there are other options depending on your budget and setup. There are some hitch mounted storage options which allow for easy storage of rotopacks and other items. Rigd makes some nice stuff. If your driving won’t be too rough, you can probably get away with something less burly like a hitch basket. If you went with this option you could also do the popular mod to install a DC pump.
Either way you would be okay to have 160lbs on the roof if you installed it properly. Don’t know what your plan is. People have rooftop tent setups which weigh more and it’s fine. It’s just not ideal. If I was going to have water on my roof, I would want it to be easily removable. What exactly is your plan to install the bladder?

AllenC

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Sycamore, SC
First Name
Chip
Last Name
Allen
Member #

Building the Roof rack myself was going to put bladder underneath rack and use gravity to drain it. I am not sure how bladder would stand up to off-road abuse myself. I saw a rigid hitch mounted tire carrier I think that is what you are referring to and that looks pretty good but pricey. We plan to upgrade to a steel bumper with tire swing out and jerry can type system down the road, just not right
now. I have been a game warden for the last 25 years so I am use to beating things up off-road but not traveling back roads for days at a time without coming out for supplies.

Reactions: SandBadgerFG5

justjames

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Member #

I'm a big fan of water bladders but under no circumstances would I put 20 gallons on the roof. That weight plus the roof rack weight plus its contents and you're really screwing up the vehicle center of gravity. I have several 10 liter dromendary bags which can be stashed in the floorboards, between boxes and all sorts of places down low. When it's time to use one to shower, throw it on the roof in the sun to warm and gravity feed for the shower and you're done. Easy to fill, load and store.

Reactions: theMightyGoose

theMightyGoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

The more I think about it, the more I see it as a terrible idea. The water sloshing around in the tank will increase the torque and force of the weight shifting around. I wouldn’t do it. Find another place for the water. You should put on the roof whatever you had planned to have in the back of the truck and put the water in the rear of the 4Runner. Lightest stuff on roof. Whatever is left put in the car.

Last edited:

theMightyGoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

BTW, 20 gallons is a LOT of water. We usually can get by several days with a 7 gallon jug and have plenty left over. If you can, have a smaller jerry can and refill it whenever you get a chance. It will probably be just easier all the way around. Unless you’re really going far off the grid, you shouldn’t need 20 gallons. If you manage your water carefully you should be able to make a Jerry can last a long time. Just my thoughts.

theMightyGoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

I'm a big fan of water bladders but under no circumstances would I put 20 gallons on the roof. That weight plus the roof rack weight plus its contents and you're really screwing up the vehicle center of gravity. I have several 10 liter dromendary bags which can be stashed in the floorboards, between boxes and all sorts of places down low. When it's time to use one to shower, throw it on the roof in the sun to warm and gravity feed for the shower and you're done. Easy to fill, load and store.
Nemo makes a nice collapsible shower kit

Reactions: justjames

AllenC

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Sycamore, SC
First Name
Chip
Last Name
Allen
Member #

Thanks for the input guys I will probably go another route. Maybe the dromendary bag inside the truck. I know I can get by with less water, my teenage son is worried about his hair. Lol

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Your teenage son is worried about his hair? I get it, my eldest grandson was worried too. He was 13 at the time, however, once he realized where we were, and that he was having a great time, it didn’t bother him at all not having a shower for 3 days. He understood rationing, and he didn’t give three hoots about his “metro man” hair style. Your boy will get over it. Check out this website. I’ve been using their products, water tanks included for a long time, without fail. The footwell tank or the behind the rear seat upright tank may be just what you are looking for. I’ve never carried any water up top and never will for a plethora of safety reasons. Good luck Off-Road Tough Vehicle Water Carrying Tanks | Front Runner

Flying pig

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Florence, OR, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
sprueill
Member #

Ive seen RV tanks inside a rig. 20gal in front of back seat with a 12v pump attaced wired to cig lighter is the simple version to a under the rig version with permanant pump and wiring

Back Road Geezer

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

I drive a Toyota Sequoia 4x4 and use the the Front Runner 13.2 gallon slanted water tank. It is designed to sit behind the rear seats and is angled to snug into the void. It only steals about 5 to 46 inches from the rear deck load space. Its location is great for vehicle balance as it is nearly center (fore and aft) in the vehicle. The outflow is a threaded spigot located near the bottom. Front Runner also has accessories like water pumps to plumb the water to showers etc. It is all a little pricey but well designed and durable.
Since I do much of my travel in dry country it is important for me to haul water and moving 6 gallon jerry cans around the cargo area every time I unload was breaking this old man's back. I do carry a small collapsible jug that I fill from the tank for camp use.

Funmobile

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Yuba City
Member #

I second what has been said above. I wouldn't want the extra weight on top of the vehicle. As for volume, i can carry 16 gallons and have never needed that much, even on multi day trips with no refill. Also, the Nemo shower is a great piece of gear and has been one of the best things I have purchased. I went with a permanently mounted on board water tank that was made for an RV and purchased through amazon.

Reactions: AllenC