Has anyone found a full-sized, swing-away spare carrier that doesn't delete your backup camera?

• HTML tutorial

Mr.RoadWarrior

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Houston, Texas
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Rosner
I feel like I have a jigsaw puzzle and some of the pieces are missing:

I want a full-sized spare carrier, rear-hitch mounted, swing-away that doesn't block my backup camera....sounds too easy, right?

These things are outrageously expensive (Wilco Offroad starts at $825) and all their models block the camera. Aluminess is even more expensive. I know good stuff is not cheap and cheap stuff is not good.

Has anybody solved this issue with FS Pickups?

Drkhrts

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Where is your camera mounted? If it’s part of the handle you would have to find one that puts the tire on the edge which is hard with hitch mount- most solutions that do that will be bumper units to carry the off center weight. You could build one but it would need a counterbalance item to offset the wheel.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I have the Wilco hitch carrier and did have an issue with the carrier blocking my backup camera. I just relocated the camera, problem solved. I’m assuming your camera is built in. Mine was/is an aftermarket camera from Amazon.

F1D4736F-08EE-4F19-B2FF-D708F7BB6A17.jpeg

Here’s what I can now see out of my backup camera from the head unit.

8587532F-2C10-4F88-9BF6-D56005B26E8D.jpeg

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I have a Wilco Offset on my ZR2, it blocks about 40% of the backup camera view. I adjusted by using mirrors a bit more. I can see the hitch for trailer hookup. You can also relocate the camera, a pita. The above is with a 31" tire.

Mr.RoadWarrior

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Houston, Texas
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Rosner
Yes, thanks Grendel....

A few of my pet peeves:

1) Having to fix a tool before using it
2) Having to buy something else to get the thing I just bought to work the way it should have in the first place

I think a lot of these are falling into 2)

It seems to be more cost-effective to put on a roof rack, which is more versatile than a hitch mounted spare carrier, and put the spare up there. My thinking might be different if I was changing bumpers and I could create a DIY swingaway, but that's not the case.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Yes, thanks Grendel....

A few of my pet peeves:

1) Having to fix a tool before using it
2) Having to buy something else to get the thing I just bought to work the way it should have in the first place

I think a lot of these are falling into 2)

It seems to be more cost-effective to put on a roof rack, which is more versatile than a hitch mounted spare carrier, and put the spare up there. My thinking might be different if I was changing bumpers and I could create a DIY swingaway, but that's not the case.
I tried to put my 35" spare on my Yakima Mega Warrior roof rack, but it was way to heavy for me and my weak back. I'd have to lift the tire over my head and on to basket. Nope, not happening. Hitch mount carrier is way easier for me.

Reactions: Desert Runner

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I tried to put my 35" spare on my Yakima Mega Warrior roof rack, but it was way to heavy for me and my weak back. I'd have to lift the tire over my head and on to basket. Nope, not happening. Hitch mount carrier is way easier for me.
Same here, I got my 265/65/17 wheel and tire up on my roof rack one time, after I recovered from the heart attach and bought a Wilco swing out.

• Haha
Reactions: RoarinRow

Member I

Chesapeake, VA, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
davis
Member #

I ended up building my own.about 300$ in metal and a hinge from 4x4 innovation and a lot of time and ingenuity, but I ended up with a functional tire gate with integrated table for camping and Jerry can holder. That’s a 37” tire.

Attachments

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I ended up building my own.about 300$ in metal and a hinge from 4x4 innovation and a lot of time and ingenuity, but I ended up with a functional tire gate with integrated table for camping and Jerry can holder. That’s a 37” tire.
Great job building your own.

Mr.RoadWarrior

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Houston, Texas
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Rosner
OK....

1) Jealous

2) Questions:
- what's it weigh?
- is that a stock bumper?

3) Back to jealous again