Has anyone done the lost cost 100 mile drive in california?

• HTML tutorial

Contributor I

Carson city neveda
Member #

Trying to find where it starts and ends for a friends birthday, I wanna make sure we fallow the correct trail. My dad also has a dream of doing it. So also any recommendations on what to equip my jeep tj with?

Reactions: JeepWave

JeepWave

Rank V
Investor

Enthusiast III

Broomfield, CO, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Hutchins
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W0EMH
I did it about ten years ago. It’s a fun trip. The ghost town of Rockport is the southern end of the Lost Coast. Best to make your way to Fort Bragg (from Willits and Ukiah) and head north from there once you turn off CA-1. It’s a long drive on country roads through Mendocino and Humboldt up to Ferndale, the small town that marks the northern terminus of the Lost Coast. There is plenty of beautiful scenery and some funky small towns like Petrolia and Shelter Cove. It’s a great road trip. Bring plenty of water and snacks, but it’s otherwise easy driving. Once in Ferndale, CA-211 takes you back to US-101.

Last edited:

m1jacobs

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Humboldt County, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Jacobs
Member #

Ok I did it last month, didn’t go all the way to Mattole Rd. because we were trying to do it in a day. I got some good tips and waypoints on my GPS. A stock TJ will make this easily with good tires. It starts a few miles after 1 turns away from the coast towards 101. Take Usal Rd. to Usal Beach, great camping spot. Then all the way to shelter cove. From there you want to get on King Peak Rd. Make sure you have a good GPS because you’ll get to a fork and the left path looks like the road but that won’t get you to Honeydew. From there I turned back to 101. The rest of the trip is paved I believe and it will take you to Ferndale where you can find 101 again.

Reactions: RainGoat