Launch Member

Member III

Harlem, GA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Lyons
Member #

I am thinking of using Mostaliner on my little Isuzu. The paint is shot anyway, and seems like a cost effective way to freshen up the old girl.

If so:

1) Are you happy with it?
2) Did you do it yourself?
3) Would you do it again?
4) Did you roll or spray on?
5) What issues did you run into that you didn't anticipate?

Basically anything that can help me get a better idea of what I am about to get myself into would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Reactions: Adam&Jess

soonersfan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Oklahoma City, OK
First Name
Phillip
Last Name
McIntosh
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5LTZ
I had mine professionally done. I would not do the roll on DIY stuff. If you do, be prepared to redo it often. I have yet to see any of those products that hold up for very long.

They guys who did mine, stripped everything down, sanded down through clear coat, cleaned with acetone, sanded some more and then sprayed everything. I wanted a color change and was able to accomplish that with bed liner and have a more durable finish. I am not sure if I would do it again though. I don't hate it but I don't love it either.

Reactions: Thelgord

bajatacoguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Portsmouth NH
First Name
John
Last Name
Lomastro
Member #

I have seen 5-6 DYI on TacomaWorld that look great. 3 of are over 5yrs and holding up extremely well.

There are a few pro jobs that look outstanding and should for the price.

Talisker

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

The Lake District, UK
Member #

I've seen a few Defenders here in the UK painted in tinted U-POL Raptor. Looked really good and apparently tough as old boots!

This one at a national Land Rover gathering:

Am about to repaint mine and dithering over whether to do the same, seems like once you've done it there's no going back...

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

A friend of mine bought a truck that had it Professionally done inside and out. I thought it would be a good idea. But if you get any major damage done to your ride, it is almost impossible to fix it right. I like it on the inside, to be able to just hose out the inside after playing, but again, any damage is no fun to fix. Truck beds yes, inside your mud rig yes, not so sure on the rest. Just what I have seen, Benz.

TRT87

Rank VI
Launch Member

Builder I

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Tennies
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
1) Are you happy with it?
2) Did you do it yourself?
3) Would you do it again?
4) Did you roll or spray on?
5) What issues did you run into that you didn't anticipate?

Basically anything that can help me get a better idea of what I am about to get myself into would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
@Thelgord,

I lined an ‘86 CJ back in 2006. I removed the seats, center counsel, etc. and used a roll on liner.

1. I was happy with it. It held up well for two years in Montana.
2. I did do it myself and had little issues that I can remember.
3. Yes, I would do it again.
4. I used a roll on liner. I think it was Hurculiner, from Autozone.
5. None that I recall.

Good luck and if I can dig up any pics I’ll post them for you.

- Tyler

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
I’ve had 4 truck beds done and the inside tub of my Jeep LJ and multiple bumpers.

The stuff holds dirt and weighs a lot, I would never do the exterior body myself.

D

donuteater

I am planning on having the pros apply a spray product the lower half of my doors and tailgate. I have never done it myself but have seen a few trucks in person that have attempted themselves. Its a lot of prep work to make the DIY products look decent. I have seen better rattle can paint jobs than DIY bed liner.

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
I did a 1990 Landcruiser 62 series several years ago (2012!), and I was happy with it.

I subsequently sold it, but he lived down the street from me for a long time, now moved.

The main effort is in the prep. It took me 3-4 hours a night for a week to get it prepped, not including a few small dents and rust repair I had to make.
That's really the key to a good job, the up-side is that you can sand it with 8o or 120 grit to provide a good tooth for the 'paint' and it doesn't show through with sanding swirls.
fj62_Monsta.jpg
I did a 2-tone job, paint day was a 14 hour day with two of us working, long hard day for sure. Dried pretty quick and I liked the surface texture of the Monstaliner and how it went on. I rolled it and I thought it turned out well, it definitely took two coats.

I would do it again, and in fact I'm thinking I will for another project.

I disagree with the idea that it will have to be redone, based on my comment about the proper prep of the body. Get everything done and sanded before you crack open the can for the first time, all parts removed, body sanded, taped where you don't want it, etc. Then Roll, roll, roll like crazy!

Dan.

Thelgord

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Harlem, GA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Lyons
Member #

I did a 1990 Landcruiser 62 series several years ago (2012!), and I was happy with it.

I subsequently sold it, but he lived down the street from me for a long time, now moved.

The main effort is in the prep. It took me 3-4 hours a night for a week to get it prepped, not including a few small dents and rust repair I had to make.
That's really the key to a good job, the up-side is that you can sand it with 8o or 120 grit to provide a good tooth for the 'paint' and it doesn't show through with sanding swirls.
View attachment 47241
I did a 2-tone job, paint day was a 14 hour day with two of us working, long hard day for sure. Dried pretty quick and I liked the surface texture of the Monstaliner and how it went on. I rolled it and I thought it turned out well, it definitely took two coats.

I would do it again, and in fact I'm thinking I will for another project.

I disagree with the idea that it will have to be redone, based on my comment about the proper prep of the body. Get everything done and sanded before you crack open the can for the first time, all parts removed, body sanded, taped where you don't want it, etc. Then Roll, roll, roll like crazy!

Dan.
That looks sweet! Thanks for such a detailed reply!

Reactions: VCeXpedition

Bouncer

Rank IV

Advocate II

Wagoner County, Oklahoma
First Name
Buddy
Last Name
NLN
Service Branch
Resigned EMT-B
20170514_184429.jpg 20170514_184443.jpg 20170514_184501.jpg 20170514_184557.jpg I did my cladding, bumpers, grill, roof rack, rear window louvers, in cheap rustolium spray bedliner. its been a year and still looks fairly decent. I also did my head liner. I love it, I saved some cash and headache on fabric and glue and made it look one off!

Bouncer

Rank IV

Advocate II

Wagoner County, Oklahoma
First Name
Buddy
Last Name
NLN
Service Branch
Resigned EMT-B
Screenshot_20170515-205015.jpg 20170712_195849.jpg 20170712_195856.jpg Screenshot_20170515-205015.jpg

Compared to before. Did rims also. All in all a year in less than 100$ and spread out over a few weekends.
1. Yes
2. Yes with the 12 year old neighbor kid.
3. for under 100$, yes
4. cheapo spray on
5. nozzle gets clogged if not cleaned when done spraying. not as textured as some of the bigger brands.

*As a side note I probably would not have done the rims again, they are tougher to scrub and attract tons of road grime.

Reactions: Subzilla