Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

St. Louis, MO, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0KZH
Overall it worked, out well.

In the future I think I might swap out the block and tackle for a winch. Going up and down when loaded is fine, but it wont slacken up enough as it requires a lot of weight to move the 8:1 block and tackle. A significant amount of tension remains on the belts when you are trying to clip or unclip them.

The hardware is fine and the directions are ok, but the description of tying a figure 8 knot was extremely complicated and unless you've done it already I doubt the diagram would help. There is no hardware included for putting your 2x4's up on the ceiling and I altered their design a bit by using 2x6s for more mounting/hanging options. I also opted for 5/16 in. x 4 in GRK RSS Rugged Structural Screws instead of the recommended lag bolts to attach the 2x6s to the rafters.

Feels weird to walk under it!

Cheers,
JJH

Attachments

Reactions: JCWages

jeepers29

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Georgetown, TX, USA
Member #

Overall it worked, out well.

In the future I think I might swap out the block and tackle for a winch. Going up and down when loaded is fine, but it wont slacken up enough as it requires a lot of weight to move the 8:1 block and tackle. A significant amount of tension remains on the belts when you are trying to clip or unclip them.

The hardware is fine and the directions are ok, but the description of tying a figure 8 knot was extremely complicated and unless you've done it already I doubt the diagram would help. There is no hardware included for putting your 2x4's up on the ceiling and I altered their design a bit by using 2x6s for more mounting/hanging options. I also opted for 5/16 in. x 4 in GRK RSS Rugged Structural Screws instead of the recommended lag bolts to attach the 2x6s to the rafters.

Feels weird to walk under it!

Cheers,
JJH
Love the paneling in your garage, or is that your man cave?

JeffersonJHunt

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

St. Louis, MO, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0KZH
That's the garage... I ended up insulating it and installing a heat pump for heating and cooling. One of the best things I ever did as it makes the garage usable year round vs 3 weeks in the spring and 3 weeks in the fall! I did the car siding because I'm not skilled enough to mud and tape such that it doesn't look like sh*t!

GMoney

Rank I

Enthusiast I

SoCal
I can confirm the Harken Hoister works great for RTT. Once it is hoisted, I attach redundant straps to standalone eyes as my safety system. I have the 150 lbs rated being used for 145 lbs RTT.