Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Gainesville, GA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Gray
Member #

Hello everyone - I am completing the build on my Ranger, and now shopping for my RTT. I want to go hardshell, but am working off a 5'bed. I know of the Torro Offroad Bantam, the Roofnest Condor, and iKamper Skycamp Mini.

Are there any other smaller footprint hardshell's that I should look at?

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide.

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Hello everyone - I am completing the build on my Ranger, and now shopping for my RTT. I want to go hardshell, but am working off a 5'bed. I know of the Torro Offroad Bantam, the Roofnest Condor, and iKamper Skycamp Mini.

Are there any other smaller footprint hardshell's that I should look at?

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide.
Check out the TuffStuff 4x4, ALPHA II. I have the regular full sized ALPHA on my Tacoma but the II is smaller footprint.

oeb0630

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Gainesville, GA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Gray
Member #

Check out the TuffStuff 4x4, ALPHA II. I have the regular full sized ALPHA on my Tacoma but the II is smaller footprint.
Thank you, just checked it out. I wonder if they say "has to mount to open to passenger side" just because of the height going up in the rear (wind resistance)? Do you see any other reason? Mine will be below the cab height, or very close to....so I am not worried about the wind differential.

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Thank you, just checked it out. I wonder if they say "has to mount to open to passenger side" just because of the height going up in the rear (wind resistance)? Do you see any other reason? Mine will be below the cab height, or very close to....so I am not worried about the wind differential.
It would probably work that way. You see what they are going for there. Being low like you described I would think you might want it on the passenger side just to be out of the way, or not. Other justifications I have heard was that if one HAD to setup beside a road/path you could open to the non-traffic side. I got an e-mail from TS the other day saying not to drive over 65 mph. That was a little late! I am shopping for roof racks right now and that should help move the air up and over also. One could always add some more strap(s) to make absolutely sure it won't open until it's supposed to.

oeb0630

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Gainesville, GA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Gray
Member #

It would probably work that way. You see what they are going for there. Being low like you described I would think you might want it on the passenger side just to be out of the way, or not. Other justifications I have heard was that if one HAD to setup beside a road/path you could open to the non-traffic side. I got an e-mail from TS the other day saying not to drive over 65 mph. That was a little late! I am shopping for roof racks right now and that should help move the air up and over also. One could always add some more strap(s) to make absolutely sure it won't open until it's supposed to.
I already have a 270 awning on the passenger side....that is my hindrance for the tent opening that direction. (Not buying a new awning!)

....yeah....not driving over 65 could be a challenge for me.....

Reactions: FishinCrzy

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder