SHADYR

Rank 0

Contributor I

Casselberry, FL, USA
First Name
RON
Last Name
SHADY
I'm planning on purchasing my first car top camper for a Ford Explorer. I'm leaning toward the hard top style because of weather protection, etc. when it is not in use. Any suggestions as to the best brand would be appreciated.

Reactions: Kent R

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I'm planning on purchasing my first car top camper for a Ford Explorer. I'm leaning toward the hard top style because of weather protection, etc. when it is not in use. Any suggestions as to the best brand would be appreciated.
Welcome To Overland Bound
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in the Southeast Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Your Regional Director is @AdventureWithDanan . The closest Member Representative to you for local information is @Cendee & @radwelder
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Tread Lightly | Online Courses
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course

You might ask your build question on one of these pages in order to get traction;

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Welcome from CA! I have looked at a lot of RTT’s the hard sided are generally be better made. It depends how much and when you plan to use it.

SHADYR

Rank 0

Contributor I

Casselberry, FL, USA
First Name
RON
Last Name
SHADY
Thanks, Kent----I will likely use the car top camper once a month for 2-3 days each trip. The rest of the time, it will be in a RV Storage area under huge live oak trees. I do plan to buy a car cover to put on during storage, which will cover the car top camper as well.

Reactions: MMc

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

So your looking for a bed camper topper not a roof top tent? Your only gonna use it for a few days once a month and put in storage the rest of time?
I'd suggest a soft bed topper if thats the case the fiberglass hard top campers are a little heavy to be pulling it off and putting it on, they are tougher and more weather resistant but your gonna be worn out getting it on and off all the time. The soft camper toppers fold and roll up behind the cab.

SHADYR

Rank 0

Contributor I

Casselberry, FL, USA
First Name
RON
Last Name
SHADY
So your looking for a bed camper topper not a roof top tent? Your only gonna use it for a few days once a month and put in storage the rest of time?
I'd suggest a soft bed topper if thats the case the fiberglass hard top campers are a little heavy to be pulling it off and putting it on, they are tougher and more weather resistant but your gonna be worn out getting it on and off all the time. The soft camper toppers fold and roll up behind the cab.
Boostpowered (I like that name!!)----I would be leaving the car top camper on the car----I would not be taking it on and off, so basically, the car (actually an SUV) will be parked about 95% of the month, and driven the other 5% of the month, but the camper will stay on the SUV. The vehicle is a Ford Explorer so it would be secured to the top of the car (not a truck, so no bed). Is a bed camper for use in the bed of a truck? Thanks!!