Launch Member

Advocate III

Port Saint Lucie, Florida, United States
First Name
JASON
Last Name
OIIIIIIIO
Member #

Hello everyone. I’ve been back and forth with which roof top tent to get. I’ve been leaning toward hard shell because of aero dynamics, weight and foot-print. I’m struggling with making the best choice and hoping for some real from the field input. It’s just me and I have a Jeep Rubicon JK. So far, the Tepui Hybox and Tuff Stuff Sierra are my choices and about $1,000 difference in price. Thanks for any thoughts.

Attachments

SNO-RNR

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Kelowna, BC, Canada
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Pearey
Member #

I feel your pain. My tent choice changes every week. I’m looking at hard shells. But now considering a hybrid like iKamper. I think the ability to attach the annex room will be good for us. Allow for privacy/shower. Some cover in the rain. It’s not perfect tent but it is quicker to put up than a soft shell. But with more space than a hard shell. You should look at Jame Baroud and the Bush Company Alpha tent too.

Reactions: STHPW05

STHPW05

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
JASON
Last Name
OIIIIIIIO
Member #

It’s a hard sell for a RTT when it’s just the name you are buying. I’ve heard a ton of good things about the Tuff Stuff and it’s $1,000-$3,000 less than “top” brands.

SNO-RNR

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Kelowna, BC, Canada
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Pearey
Member #

For what they are, the prices seem ridiculous. Non of the current available tents tick all of most people’s boxes. Making a compromise when pay 3-4000 dollars is a hard pill to swallow. I wanted a Bush Company but it’s proving hard to get and for that sort of cash I am not running around after companies breaking my neck to get one. The Annex is winning for us at the moment but I’d consider a hard shell with one of the fold out privacy rooms and an awning. But then you are purchasing 3 separate items and trying to match them all. Good luck I’m sure you will be happy with any of the choices you have mentioned.

jono

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Round Rock, TX
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Luce
Member #

I understand this battle....I went back and fourth and ultimately decided to go "all in" and get an iKamper 2X. Shortly after getting it delivered, C19 hit and I have only had it open in a parking lot. Sense that time, there has been more models come out that seem just as good as iKamper, but more affordable. I would have taken a real hard look at the FRS Odyssey tents for sure. The iKamper is really nice at least from my parking lot experience :) The ladder attachment system is a bit wonky, but easy up and down for sure. I'm looking forward to testing it soon, but there are more options now, than there was just a few months ago. IMG_0399.jpeg

STHPW05

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
JASON
Last Name
OIIIIIIIO
Member #

Hey Jono. Thanks for the input. A friend posted a soft-shell today that Tuff Stuff is carrying, for $860. That’s hard to pass even if it’s a soft-shell. I just have a feeling I wish o had waited a bit to get the hard-shell. The GoFSR Odyssey seems to be my final choice at this point. Just having the nerve to fork out $2695 is super difficult. lol

Reactions: RoarinRow

SNO-RNR

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Kelowna, BC, Canada
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Pearey
Member #

I understand this battle....I went back and fourth and ultimately decided to go "all in" and get an iKamper 2X. Shortly after getting it delivered, C19 hit and I have only had it open in a parking lot. Sense that time, there has been more models come out that seem just as good as iKamper, but more affordable. I would have taken a real hard look at the FRS Odyssey tents for sure. The iKamper is really nice at least from my parking lot experience :) The ladder attachment system is a bit wonky, but easy up and down for sure. I'm looking forward to testing it soon, but there are more options now, than there was just a few months ago. View attachment 154338
I’m considering 2.0 vs x2. I’m thinking save weight with the 2x. Would the sleeping area be good for someone 6ft 3in tall?

A_Patt

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Texas (DFW)
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Patterson
Member #

I understand this battle....I went back and fourth and ultimately decided to go "all in" and get an iKamper 2X. Shortly after getting it delivered, C19 hit and I have only had it open in a parking lot. Sense that time, there has been more models come out that seem just as good as iKamper, but more affordable. I would have taken a real hard look at the FRS Odyssey tents for sure. The iKamper is really nice at least from my parking lot experience :) The ladder attachment system is a bit wonky, but easy up and down for sure. I'm looking forward to testing it soon, but there are more options now, than there was just a few months ago. View attachment 154338
Exact same thing here! Got the iKamper 2.0 first week of March and had it out once in the drive way. Can’t wait to really get some good use out of it.

Reactions: STHPW05 and jono

jono

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Round Rock, TX
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Luce
Member #

Hey Jono. Thanks for the input. A friend posted a soft-shell today that Tuff Stuff is carrying, for $860. That’s hard to pass even if it’s a soft-shell. I just have a feeling I wish o had waited a bit to get the hard-shell. The GoFSR Odyssey seems to be my final choice at this point. Just having the nerve to fork out $2695 is super difficult. lol
Yea, $860 is a solid price for that tent. I don't think you can go wrong there. I only wish I had some time in the dang tent so I could tell you all the reasons you NEED the iKapmer... Good luck with your purchase! Post some pics when you make your choice!

jono

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Round Rock, TX
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Luce
Member #

I’m considering 2.0 vs x2. I’m thinking save weight with the 2x. Would the sleeping area be good for someone 6ft 3in tall?
Ya, know....you might be better off with the 2.0. I am 6ft even (okay, prolly 5'11"ish) and I "fit", but there isn't a ton of room. I need to check the specs, but I think the TOTAL mattress size is 6'5" x 4'3". I would check the specs for sure. The 2.0 is essentially a king size mattress, so you wold have no issues there.

Wallygator

Rank III

Contributor II

USA
I'm also mostly by myself. I went all in and got an Eezi-Awn Blade. It was a long term investment for me. The aluminum can take a hit and the tent is overbuilt. Yes it was very expensive but is also very high quality and should last a long time. Bedding stays inside ready to go. 10 second setup and I'm camping, 15 second take down and I'm moving. I changed the ladder out to a collapsible type. Also spliced into the wiring and built a portable 12V plug/USB plug box so I can charge devices while sleeping, power the heated throw in the winter, and run a fan in the summer. All powered by a Yeti 400. I love this thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: STHPW05 and jono

jcx03

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

los angeles
First Name
joseph
Last Name
c
Member #

I used a soft RTT (tepui) this last week. After using it, I think that I'd prefer hard shell.

While setting it up was fast - putting it away was another story. The main issue I had with it was that the soft cover is hard to zip back up at the corners.

xemrac

Rank I
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Texas, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Schmelzer
I've had 10 or so nights in the iKamper 2x and am satisfied with my purchase (although it was a hard thing to throw down that much cash on a tent).
The setup is as described - very easy to put up and stow away. The aerodynamics/weight has become a big plus for me as my MPG didn't take the hit I thought it would. The ladder is a bit wonky, and I'm actually mounting it a different way due to my rack setup. I am 6' even and when running solo, this thing is HUGE for me; no issues at all with mattress size. I honestly slept almost as comfortable as I do at home (clean mountain air certainly played a role here, as well).

My coldest nights we're in the low 30's and temperature was never an issue with a couple (puffy, down) blankets. Another huge but unanticipated delighter with this "bed-like" (vs. bulkier sleeping bag) setup is I am able to flatten everything out so the bedding remains stored inside the RTT, w/ no space issues. Nice to not have to worry about that stuff everytime you move camp.

hope this helps you guys.

Reactions: Wallygator

ChambersFamily

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Plains, OR, USA
First Name
Marshall
Last Name
Chambers
Member #

See for us a soft is the way to go. We sleep 4 (I'm 5'8, wife 5'4, daughter 5'6, son still hits his head on door knobs) in it almost bi weekly comfortably. Hard has a lot of pro's but in the end I flat out need the space. I have it mounted low enough where I still get roughly 20 mpg hwy as my truck is my daily. Obviously at first it was pretty cumbersome folding it up, but now... I can open it from start to finish in about 3 min, and I can fold it up in about 5-10 depending on how well I have a 4 0 degree sleeping bags inside folded into it haha. I see the new CVT's have a skirt instead of the full cover, but... I've already gone from a standard fly to a extended... I too am tapped on dropping cash on tents. When I wear a hole in this I'll change it up :tearsofjoy:

xemrac

Rank I
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Texas, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Schmelzer
Totally get it; for all that you gain w/ the hard top, you do lose extremely valuable space due to its footprint. I ride solo and am still forced to get creative with the rest of my gear.