Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Newman Lake, Spokane County, Washington, United States
First Name
David
Last Name
Schlenker
Member #

I started a new trailer build. I have owned lots of trailers in my years including RVs. I wanted a 4x8 but with large tires. The plan is a RTT. I have built trailers from scratch and taken factory trailers and modified them. This is kind of both. I started with a HF trailer for 2 reasons. Price of steel to build from scratch and titling. I have titled built trailers before and in my state, it’s a bit of a pain. And costly. So here it is. 4x8 HF frame. 1/4 thick square tube tongue and 1/4 angle frame rail and cross member. 3500 lb Dexter axle with Toyota 6 hole hubs using a set of takeoff Toyota/Lexus wheels. No spacers.

Attachments

JakJak

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Calhan, CO, USA
First Name
Don
Last Name
Freeman
I started a new trailer build. I have owned lots of trailers in my years including RVs. I wanted a 4x8 but with large tires. The plan is a RTT. I have built trailers from scratch and taken factory trailers and modified them. This is kind of both. I started with a HF trailer for 2 reasons. Price of steel to build from scratch and titling. I have titled built trailers before and in my state, it’s a bit of a pain. And costly. So here it is. 4x8 HF frame. 1/4 thick square tube tongue and 1/4 angle frame rail and cross member. 3500 lb Dexter axle with Toyota 6 hole hubs using a set of takeoff Toyota/Lexus wheels. No spacers.
I am looking at doing something similar with part of this trailer. Basically I’m was thinking of cutting the black portion and welding it to a harbor freight trailer

Attachments

OcoeeG

Rank II

Enthusiast III

SE TN
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Gee
Looks like you are off to a great start!! Can't wait to see it take shape!

Mountaintrails71

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

First Name
David
Last Name
Schlenker
Member #

This is going to stay pretty simple. I will deck it with herculined plywood. I am building a rack about 36 inches high to accept a Rtt. I am adding a truck box across the front and rear. A 20 gal water tank in the middle and leaving the middle open under the tent for outside stuff.

Mountaintrails71

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

First Name
David
Last Name
Schlenker
Member #

This is going to stay pretty simple. I will deck it with herculined plywood. I am building a rack about 36 inches high to accept a Rtt. I am adding a truck box across the front and rear. A 20 gal water tank in the middle and leaving the middle open under the tent for outside stuff.
Deck is on. Work is going to be on hold for a couple weeks while I have a Overland trip into the Cascade Mountains. After I will build the rack for the RTT.

Attachments

Mountaintrails71

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

First Name
David
Last Name
Schlenker
Member #

The uprights are cut at 35 inches and the 2 inch on top for 37 inches off the deck. The trailer deck is 28 inches with the 31 ish inch tires. Puts the RTT at just over five feet. This is right at head level and you can reach it from the ground. I have had a RTT before mounted on top a rig and it was a pain in the tale.

Mountaintrails71

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

First Name
David
Last Name
Schlenker
Member #

Little more work. Built my propane tank holder. Mounted the rear box and finished the drop table and door that’s on the passenger side. I have the ability for 4 water jugs. My front box and tent will be here Monday. Need to mount a battery and that’s it. I am very happy with it at this point.

Attachments

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
That is a lot of light! You will be able to see for days :sunglasses:

I am curious, how much does each of the cargo boxes weigh?

Trailer looks like a stout unit. Nice work!

Mountaintrails71

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

First Name
David
Last Name
Schlenker
Member #

The front is about 50 pounds and the rear is a bit lighter. Currently without the tent. My tongue weight is 135 pounds. The trailer before the rack is about 500 pounds. The steel rack is about 300 pounds. The boxes are 100 pounds together. Tent is 200 pounded and the the rest of the gear. I will be under 1500 even with 20 gallons of water.

Reactions: Marty_d3f81b

JOERYNO

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor I

Arizona
Member #

Your trailer build strategy sounds solid, especially using a HF frame to sidestep the hassles and extra costs of titling a scratch build.