Dublin, CA, USA
First Name
Zak
Last Name
Zuehlsdorf
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
1999 Chevy Tahoe with 110,000 miles. Bought in May of this year. I am the 3rd owner. Original owner was a older gentleman who kept it in the garage. Never pulled a trailer and no offoading. Second owner was a family friend of orginal owner. He did the following in Dec of 2016:
- Pioneer Touchscreen, Viper Alarm System and Backup Camera
- Fuel system service
- New plugs and distrib cap
- AC service
- Bumpstops, ball joints, Pittman arm, and idler arm
- New brake pads and rotors
- Brake fluid flush
- Coolant flush
- Clean and adjust brakes
- Transmission service
- New RR window motor
- New AC compressor
- Custom fit WeatherTech Mats throughout
- Dark window tint
Total over $9,000 invested
Picked it up for $5300

So far all I've done is add WeatherTech vent shades. Trying to decide on tires, shocks, lift ideas. Thinking about bigger tires and minimal lift. Most of the time this Hoe will be on pavement. Want to be able to do back country dirt/gravel roads but nothing extreme.

Any ideas or advice would be great.

Zak

Reactions: ibemarcus

ibemarcus

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Tuscaloosa,AL
Member #

1999 Chevy Tahoe with 110,000 miles. Bought in May of this year. I am the 3rd owner. Original owner was a older gentleman who kept it in the garage. Never pulled a trailer and no offoading. Second owner was a family friend of orginal owner. He did the following in Dec of 2016:
- Pioneer Touchscreen, Viper Alarm System and Backup Camera
- Fuel system service
- New plugs and distrib cap
- AC service
- Bumpstops, ball joints, Pittman arm, and idler arm
- New brake pads and rotors
- Brake fluid flush
- Coolant flush
- Clean and adjust brakes
- Transmission service
- New RR window motor
- New AC compressor
- Custom fit WeatherTech Mats throughout
- Dark window tint
Total over $9,000 invested
Picked it up for $5300

So far all I've done is add WeatherTech vent shades. Trying to decide on tires, shocks, lift ideas. Thinking about bigger tires and minimal lift. Most of the time this Hoe will be on pavement. Want to be able to do back country dirt/gravel roads but nothing extreme.

Any ideas or advice would be great.

Zak
I’m relatively new to “overlanding” but I can give my 2cents worth. [emoji51] When I started acquiring gear and building my truck, I looked at what I needed for day2day use in conjunction with overlanding. I’m not interested in “rock crawling” and “mud riding” but I do want to be able to get where I want to go. I started with this question. “Where do I want to go and how long am I going to be out there?” I made a list from there. Good luck! Look forward to following your adventures.. [emoji1360][emoji1360]

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Zdorf

Zdorf

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Dublin, CA, USA
First Name
Zak
Last Name
Zuehlsdorf
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
I’m relatively new to “overlanding” but I can give my 2cents worth. [emoji51] When I started acquiring gear and building my truck, I looked at what I needed for day2day use in conjunction with overlanding. I’m not interested in “rock crawling” and “mud riding” but I do want to be able to get where I want to go. I started with this question. “Where do I want to go and how long am I going to be out there?” I made a list from there. Good luck! Look forward to following your adventures.. [emoji1360][emoji1360]

Thanks for the info Marcus. What were the things you listed when you first started? I have a idea but like hearing ideas from other people.

Reactions: ibemarcus

ibemarcus

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Tuscaloosa,AL
Member #

Thanks for the info Marcus. What were the things you listed when you first started? I have a idea but like hearing ideas from other people.
The first thing for my day2day work stuff was dry storage. My truck won’t fit in my garage so I went with the decked drawer system.

As far as overlanding, I decided where I wanted to go. I live in the southeast and currently planning some trips out west. Our first long trip will be Colorado and Utah May 2019. So I chose all terrain tires even though I wanted mud tires. (May eventually go to MT tires) I have rock sliders and skid plates on order to protect the vehicle. Building a custom bedrack because I think my wife will be more comfortable in a roof top tent. I probably won’t do much more right now. I’m planning on going to overland expo east in November to learn more. I’m trying to build what I can afford and what I need. Mostly what I can afford. [emoji16]

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

with some torsion keys and a little trimming 285/75 should fit no problem , but if your tires are in good shape now just get a good tire repair kit and a small compressor and just go out and explore and see what things you may need .

jasonjlamb

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Lawrence, KS
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Lamb
Member #

I’m on the most limited of limited budgets. And my 2011 Grand Cherokee (WK2) is my daily driver for me and my two young kids. Reliability and efficiency are priorities. So my “mods” are purely practical and value oriented:

1. All-weather (thick rubber) floor mats
2. All-terrain tires (plus zero fitment)
3. CB and antenna
4. Recovery items, including shovel, hatchet, kinetic tow strap
5. Tools, first aid kit and plenty of flashlights/[human] headlamps/magnetic lights/extra batteries
6. Upgraded [car’s] headlamp bulbs

On my future list, in sort-of order:

1. Roof rack (Rola aero crossbars and Vortex basket)
2. LED lightbar/in-bumper mount
3. Full-size spare
4. Skid plates
5. Bottle jack/platform/shackles/traction boards
6. Fuel and water cans
7. Rock rails

You’ll notice no lifts, wheels, taller tires or other overland goodies. They’re just not in the budget or adversely affect efficiency.

That said, as stock parts wear out, I might upgrade when replacing them. Struts and shocks might be replaced with Rancho 5000 or Bilstein HD units (no lift or OME 3/8” strut spacers) or Bilstein 5100s set on the lowest lift setting (.75”).

Unless I win the lottery. Then I’ll immediately call ARB, Chief, Gobi, Eibach, and Rotoform!

Last edited:
Reactions: ibemarcus and Zdorf

Zdorf

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Dublin, CA, USA
First Name
Zak
Last Name
Zuehlsdorf
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
I’m on the most limited of limited budgets. And my 2011 Grand Cherokee (WK2) is my daily driver for me and my two young kids. Reliability and efficiency are priorities. So my “mods” are purely practical and value oriented:

1. All-weather (thick rubber) floor mats
2. All-terrain tires (plus zero fitment)
3. CB and antenna
4. Recovery items, including shovel, hatchet, kinetic tow strap
5. Tools, first aid kit and plenty of flashlights/[human] headlamps/magnetic lights/extra batteries
6. Upgraded [car’s] headlamp bulbs

On my future list, in sort-of order:

1. Roof rack (Rola aero crossbars and Vortex basket)
2. LED lightbar/in-bumper mount
3. Full-size spare
4. Skid plates
5. Bottle jack/platform/shackles/traction boards
6. Fuel and water cans
7. Rock rails

You’ll notice no lifts, wheels, taller tires or other overland goodies. They’re just not in the budget or adversely affect efficiency.

That said, as stock parts wear out, I might upgrade when replacing them. Struts and shocks might be replaced with Rancho 5000 or Bilstein HD units (no lift or OME 3/8” strut spacers) or Bilstein 5100s set on the lowest lift setting (.75”).

Unless I win the lottery. Then I’ll immediately call ARB, Chief, Gobi, Eibach, and Rotoform!

Thats a good rundown Jason! Thank you for that. I like your priorities. I am very similar financial situtaion of having to prioritize my wants.

Zak

jasonjlamb

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Lawrence, KS
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Lamb
Member #

Thats a good rundown Jason! Thank you for that. I like your priorities. I am very similar financial situtaion of having to prioritize my wants.

Zak
No problem. I'm glad you find them helpful. (I really wasn't trying to hijack your thread!)

By the by, your body style is one of the best looking SUVs of all time. Post some pics so we can all admire it!

jasonjlamb

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Lawrence, KS
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Lamb
Member #

In my favorite color, no less! If you told me you had the red interior, you could expect it to be gone from your home posthaste!

Your's is so clean and straight. If it were me, I'd put on some 265/75R16 all-terrains on the those stock wheels and the other basics we discussed. That rig is really capable from the factory. (Our Toyota and Wrangler brethren will surely disagree!) Then get out there and explore!

jasonjlamb

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Lawrence, KS
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Lamb
Member #

Also, I have an Instagram account for overland vehicles beyond the typical Toyotas, Wranglers and Land Rovers called @other.overlanders. IF you have any pics of the Hank doing his overlanding thing, send my way. I'd love to feature him!

Zdorf

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Dublin, CA, USA
First Name
Zak
Last Name
Zuehlsdorf
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Thanks for all the info Jason. I wish Hank had the chevy red interior that'd be sweet!!! It has the usual grey interior. I am going to wash him up this afternoon than clean em out. I'll get some interior pics to show you guys how clean he really is!!!

Looks like I will have to get a Instagram account now. Don't have one but wanna post some pics when I get him out there. Boys and I are planning a Yosemite trip end of this month for 4 days. Gotta get out in some remote area with Hank!