Osteology

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Dallas, TX
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Ingraham
Have been toying with building a cook/prep table that hangs on the side of my truck for a while now - the mounting points on the Yakima rack were just too tempting. Thought I'd share the end result: 20"x48" 1/2" birch ply with aluminum channel to stiffen it, 1" nylon webbing with recycled strap adjusters from a backpack to adjust height or level the table regardless of the truck's position. Stores neatly in the space in front of my toolbox and sets up in seconds with two carabiners. Have had it out camping once so far and pleased with the result - rock solid with the camp stove cooking 2 gallons of chili for a group :)
PXL_20201111_204421991.jpgPXL_20201111_204605202.jpgPXL_20201111_204823297.jpg

Osteology

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Dallas, TX
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Ingraham
Cool! How do you keep it from scratching the paint? Have you thought about adding a vinyl edge? I like the stove too. I have a camp partner and it was a bit more pricey.
There is a strip of automotive weather-stripping on the vehicle side of the shelf. But, to address your point in general, the Tacoma TRD Off-road package has black, un-painted wheel flares that extend out further than the painted bed-sides. The table rests against the flares and does not touch the paint.

JNewton99

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Center, TX, USA
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Newton
Member #

Any issues with heat from the stove on the paint and fender flare? Otherwise it looks like a neat idea!

Reactions: Ubiety

GLOCKer

Rank IV

Pathfinder II

Marietta, Georgia, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Battersby
Not ashamed to admit that I'm going to copy this. It's a great idea and it looks like you executed it really nice!

I ordered everything I need except the stain and the spray polyurethane (blood orange nylon webbing, black carbineer clips, black webbing slides, black cargo anchors, and rubber bumpers for up against my truck). I'm going to make mine fit on top of the ladder of my roof top tent, under the travel cover for the tent (roughly 4' wide by 2' deep?) and finish it in black stain with the blood orange nylon webbing.

Reactions: Old Tanker

GLOCKer

Rank IV

Pathfinder II

Marietta, Georgia, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Battersby
Thank you @Osteology ! I got about 98% done putting my camp kitchen countertop together today. I'm lacking two carabiners to be able to finish hanging my counter top. Once those get in (tomorrow sometime) I'll finish up the straps and get it hung and adjusted! Here is a teaser...
2021-01-16 16.41.17.jpg

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
What a great idea! I for sure am stealing it.......