South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Several times out and about last year I found that I needed to quickly cut down some tall grass, light brush, or maybe some poison ivy around my campsite. Ticks, chiggers, antsies, are also part of the problem with tall grass, etc. I just got this today and I think I can find a place for it without too much trouble. If it's heavier stuff I can pull out a big knife/small machete but that seems like too much work for just grass. I also keep a small electric chainsaw for limbs and trees but haven't had to actually deploy it yet. Another one of those those things that's better to have and not need.

What other obscure tools do you carry?

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Several times out and about last year I found that I needed to quickly cut down some tall grass, light brush, or maybe some poison ivy around my campsite. Ticks, chiggers, antsies, are also part of the problem with tall grass, etc. I just got this today and I think I can find a place for it without too much trouble. If it's heavier stuff I can pull out a big knife/small machete but that seems like too much work for just grass. I also keep a small electric chainsaw for limbs and trees but haven't had to actually deploy it yet. Another one of those those things that's better to have and not need.

Gaa!!

Not one of those evil things. If that wasn't developed by the Marquis de Sade himself then it was a close relative.

Just as a drill press is great for snatching items out of your hand and whipping them right back into your hand that device is great for relocating a thistle right onto the nape of your neck.

It might be good for poking around in the fire. Maybe.

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Gaa!!

Not one of those evil things. If that wasn't developed by the Marquis de Sade himself then it was a close relative.

Just as a drill press is great for snatching items out of your hand and whipping them right back into your hand that device is great for relocating a thistle right onto the nape of your neck.

It might be good for poking around in the fire. Maybe.
LOL, tools are only as good as the operator!

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
I have one of these and break it out once in a while and use it behind our barn instead of our battery powered modern weed wacker. The neighbors just scratch their heads and wonder. View attachment 223666
I have one of those hanging in the barn somewhere. Hurts my shoulders just to look at! I also have a couple of the regular sling blades but the one I just got is fairly light and I can handle it one-handed. After testing it some I think I really like it. My shoulders really are shot and the light weight really is nice. It was also particularly good while trying to fight a blackberry-like vine that I have been dealing with. With the open end I could pull up the runners then whack them off and pull it up by the roots. Herbicides weren't doing much. Pulling weeds out of the yard is some sort of therapy??

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Wow. Havent seen one of these in the wild for 35 years. I remember making money as a kid going around cutting various neighbors lawns. That's where I first encountered one of these, at a neighbors house. After I cut his lawn he handed it to me and showed me how to swing it as if putting with a golf club. It was an effective trimmer for around the trees and bushes back before power weed whackers were widespread

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I have one of these and break it out once in a while and use it behind our barn instead of our battery powered modern weed wacker. The neighbors just scratch their heads and wonder. View attachment 223666
Used one of these as well. I was a kid who would go to various farms in upstate NY to help with hay, harvest, whatever. Once you get the hang of a nice sharp scythe, you see the value in it for harvesting large swaths that were too small for the machines

Reactions: MOAK

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

Pair that with a long black robe and you’ve got a nifty Halloween costume
But seriously, my go to is the tried and true military folding shovel. It’s compact and if you keep the blade sharp, it’s great for multiple uses.

JacksonRL

Rank VII

Educator I

York County, South Carolina, United States
First Name
Jackson
Last Name
Lewis
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
“…is the tried and true military folding shovel. It’s compact and if you keep the blade sharp, it’s great for multiple uses.”

Hehe the old E-tool. You’re correct, sir. I did a subscription box a while back called Alpha Outpost and they had an “enhanced” E-tool. I’ll post about it when I get home so I can include pictures. It’s legit.

JacksonRL

Rank VII

Educator I

York County, South Carolina, United States
First Name
Jackson
Last Name
Lewis
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
“…is the tried and true military folding shovel. It’s compact and if you keep the blade sharp, it’s great for multiple uses.”

Hehe the old E-tool. You’re correct, sir. I did a subscription box a while back called Alpha Outpost and they had an “enhanced” E-tool. I’ll post about it when I get home so I can include pictures. It’s legit.
I just grabbed a diagram from the website. Better than uploading multiple photos. It’s worked wonders so far.

Attachments

Reactions: 64Trvlr