louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
i had lasik done about 20 yrs ago and they told me that as i got older, my close up vision would deteriorate. they were right.
i carry cheater glasses in the truck, but really dont like carrying them when hiking and out and about on trips. cheater glasses are just magnifying glasses in a frame, so i got thinking about how handy just a monocle type magnifying glass would be. i ended up on amazon and found a nice leather wrapped monocle that hangs around my neck that i can pull out from under my shirt and use as needed. nice to read maps, etc. i also used it to start a fire, so i guess it is an overland tool to a point since it aids in vision AND starts a fire.

i figure there are a lot of the older folk on here that cant see worth a crap up close anymore and might appreciate something like this. it is a pretty handy thing to have...

1704497843207.png

Reactions: John Bishop

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
thats the coolest thing I've seen in quite a while to aid my attempts at map reading. Since retiring 8 years ago my vision has actually gotten a bit better. +1.50 now, when I got outta the truck I needed 2.50s. Never mind, Those monocles are going on my Christmas list next year. Nice find !

Ethan N

Local Expert, East Region USA

Guardian II

Ocean County, NJ, USA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
Newago
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
I carry a type of magnifying glass as an emergency firestarter. When I got lasik back in 2010 they told me when my eyesight started to go down again I could get the surgery again no problem. Haven't needed to test that yet.