Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Depends on what you are wanting the coms for, long distance, car to car on a group trip, or car to spotter. HAM radio gives the most options, but involves a test. GMRS is a great choice with just a mail in license application, CB is going the way of the dodo, and not many use it anymore. A radio mounted with permanent antenna will give the best results for range and clarity if you have the space and not worried about needing to be stealthy for daily driver etc. Handheld with a magnetic antenna on the roof would work well for car to car on trips or to a spotter. I feel a mounted radio with a hand mike makes for safer use when in motion and you are not having to pick up the handheld and look for controls etc. The Midland MX275 radio has a remote mount base unit and all the controls are in the microphone, gives good all around 15 watts of power, works like standard mounted radio, and you can hide the mic away for stealth.

Ethan N

Local Expert, East Region USA

Guardian II

Ocean County, NJ, USA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
Newago
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
I have the above mentioned Midland MX275. It works great and I've never had trouble staying in contact on the trail. I have the 3db stealth antenna and the 6db whip. Then, I have 1 Midland handheld to pass on to a spotter or just somebody who doesn't have one on a ride. If you can only buy one thing, get the Midland 2 pack of handhelds. It'll get you by just fine until you're ready for more.

1704754845762.png

Last edited:

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Yes, in principle, hand-held radios or solutions for fixed installation of a mobile rig can be considered. If you only use the radio sporadically and in a group that rides closely together, a handheld radio is a good choice. This does not have to be permanently installed and you can sacrifice some range. Nevertheless, please secure a hand-held radio against accidentally flying around in the rig, as this can be dangerous. There are some good mounting options for handehelds around, for example RAM Mounts.

Especially if you use the radio frequently and range is important to you, you should consider a fixed installation. Today, there are already relatively small radios available that don't take up much space. Depending on the installation situation, devices with a removable control panel/ head unit are also available. A large part of the technology is then located in a "box" that can be installed anywhere in the rig. Operation is via a (detachable) control panel or even via the microphone on some devices. A popular place for the technology is under the seat. This allows you to position the control panel in a way that does not restrict the driver's field of vision and is still easily accessible for operation.

There are also a variety of different antennas. An additional antenna in an overlanding vehicle can collide with the goal of providing as few additional obstacles as possible (e.g. for branches and the like). In addition, we often do not want to further increase the height of an already high vehicle. Flexible aerials can provide a remedy against the risk of damage in the event of contact with obstacles. Radio antennas can be a complex topic. In addition to what has already been said, you will find many good examples in the Comms subforum here.

Can't decide between a handheld and a fixed installation of a mobile rig or would you like a bit of both in one device? Then vehicle adapters come into play, which are particularly popular in Europe for CB radios. The handheld radio is supplied with 12V from a socket. This adapter has an aerial connection for an external aerial, which is attached to the outside of the vehicle. And a note for our European members: legal PMR446 radios do not have detachable antennas, so no such options are available for PMR446.

Chris Starling

Rank V

Contributor III

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Starling
Member #

Thanks for the input, I guess I should’ve been a little more specific though. Are more people using GMRS now or HAM? I know growing up CB was the way to go. Most I need are car to car while on the way or at the trail. I think I’m leaning towards handhelds as the external antennas get beat to death by brush and limbs around here (SE USA).

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Thanks for the input, I guess I should’ve been a little more specific though. Are more people using GMRS now or HAM? I know growing up CB was the way to go. Most I need are car to car while on the way or at the trail. I think I’m leaning towards handhelds as the external antennas get beat to death by brush and limbs around here (SE USA).
CB is dead. GMRS is very popular and ham is one level above. I have two each of GMRS and Ham portable radios and one each of GMRS and Ham mobile units.
This is a very complicated topic, @Prerunner1982 can you jump in and simplify it for this member.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

GMRS is gaining popularity and is fine for vehicle to vehicle comms. I prefer a vehicle mounted radio and a handheld for a spotter or when I step out of the vehicle. This applies to GMRS or ham radio.
Ham radio is not for everyone, especially those that just want a plug and play solution.
Ham radio is far more capable and versatile. It's another great tool to have however, as I tell people who are "prepping"... when SHTF it's not the time to figure out how to use the radio. Becoming proficient with a radio takes practice and that comes from using it so get the license and get involved.
Technically... and legally you can not get a radio that does both, but there are ways to make it happen depending on what brand radio you buy.

Ethan N

Guardian II

Ocean County, NJ, USA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
Newago
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
I don't have HAM but I can only mimic what others have said, CB was a great platform when it was widely used. Unfortunately they were a day late and a dollar short when they finally started allowing FM. It would've been the new thing if we hadn't all already purchased GMRS. We'll probably never see how great CB could have been.

NMNomad

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Rio Rancho, NM, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Foskey
I have both amateur radio and GMRS licenses. Therefore, I pick what is best for my use, depending on the situation. It all really depends on what you intend to do. GMRS will be more than sufficient for trail comms. Handhelds will be fine for those traveling in a group. If you want to talk to your neighbor in the next county, state, country. Amateur radio is the way to go. Handheld radios generally have a power rating between 2-5 watts. You will generally get 10 times the power out of a base / mobile rig. Making those much more capable.

Ahoward2k

Rank VI

Advocate I

Helena, Alabama, United States
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Howard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AI5FK
Service Branch
Army retired
If you only use it very occasionally with small groups you could get away with a handheld, preferably with a mag mount antenna. Then another handheld for spotting.
If it's more regular use or larger groups you're better off with a mobile unit with a real antenna, then a handheld for spotting.
I have an installed ham radio unlocked so I can monitor gmrs (and transmit in an emergency). I also have handheld ham and gmrs radios depending on what I'm doing.

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
I have had a HAM license for more years than I care to count..lol Which radio type also depends a lot on where you are in the country. In the NW I do not run across many overlanding/off road folks using HAM, only a couple of others in my corner of Washington use it when we post a rally point. GMRS has become the radio of choice up here for overlanders. Being old school, I still have CB in my vehicles, although now downgraded from the old full size radios to a all in one microphone style. For those that like to explore the forests of the NW especially during the weekdays you will often find logging operations and log trucks, these guys still mostly use CB, and often place a sign at the entrance to active logging roads of which channel they are using and can be handy to listen in to know when you might find a loaded truck coming down the hill at you. or to speak to an operator to find out if its safe to pass by. other than that not much use for CB, and would not normally put one in.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Handheld, because overlanding is a minor feature of the weekend, not the main show.

Can use the radio hiking, or kayak to camp.

Reactions: Chris Starling

shrdt

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Spfd Oredgon
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Hardt
Lots of good info already posted. I have a dual band mobile so that I can use GMRS and MURS. MURS is VHF which gets better range and use GMRS when with people that don't have the MURS channels. The radio will monitor both bands at the same time I just have to switch to what I want to transmit on. I also use a CB when I am on forestry roads that are also used by log trucks.

Chris Starling

Rank V

Contributor III

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Starling
Member #

After searching I’m kind of thinking of trying the Baofeng GMRS radios. I have a friend who has a HAM installed in his Jeep but I’m not completely sold on mounting a permanent radio and external antenna yet. Has anyone used the Baofengs?

Ethan N

Guardian II

Ocean County, NJ, USA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
Newago
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
After searching I’m kind of thinking of trying the Baofeng GMRS radios. I have a friend who has a HAM installed in his Jeep but I’m not completely sold on mounting a permanent radio and external antenna yet. Has anyone used the Baofengs?
I've heard mixed good and bad reviews about them. Namely that they keep making new ones to dodge regulations, not sure how bad they really are. One thing I can confirm is how many companies advertise their radios as compatible with other brands etc. except with Baofeng. I saw the Midland rep in person telling folks Midlands are guaranteed to work yada yada yada, "unless your friend has a Baofeng, we cannot guarantee you will be able to talk with each other if one of you is specifically on a Baofeng."

Take that with a grain of salt because I've never had a Baofeng, and many people do use them. This is just what I've gathered.

Chris Starling

Rank V

Contributor III

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Starling
Member #

I've heard mixed good and bad reviews about them. Namely that they keep making new ones to dodge regulations, not sure how bad they really are. One thing I can confirm is how many companies advertise their radios as compatible with other brands etc. except with Baofeng. I saw the Midland rep in person telling folks Midlands are guaranteed to work yada yada yada, "unless your friend has a Baofeng, we cannot guarantee you will be able to talk with each other if one of you is specifically on a Baofeng."

Take that with a grain of salt because I've never had a Baofeng, and many people do use them. This is just what I've gathered.
The price makes them appealing, but I’ve had Midland CB radios in the past and they worked great. Thanks for the advice I’ll look into them too.

Carnage_95YJ

Rank VII

Expedition Master I

Matthews, North Carolina
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Casaburro
Member #

The price makes them appealing, but I’ve had Midland CB radios in the past and they worked great. Thanks for the advice I’ll look into them too.
We started with a hand held and I could not hear it over vehicle and road noise. Moving to the mobile unit had better sound quality and a louder speaker.

Reactions: Ethan N

Ethan N

Guardian II

Ocean County, NJ, USA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
Newago
Member #

Service Branch
US Army

We started with a hand held and I could not hear it over vehicle and road noise. Moving to the mobile unit had better sound quality and a louder speaker.
Yeah my mounted MX275 is great, I put the speaker in the driver side footwell by the door and the handmic by my radio. So I hear the sound from both directions.

My handheld is pretty loud, I don't remember ever having a problem with hearing anything. That said, I don't wheel with the radio on, or with the windows open so I don't have too too many extra noises happening anyway.

Reactions: AfricanSubaru

Shawn686

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Canada
"unless your friend has a Baofeng, we cannot guarantee you will be able to talk with each other if one of you is specifically on a Baofeng."
That's because the people selling $300 GMRS radios don't want people to know that the $300 does what the $25 dollar radio does. As long as they are programmed to the same frequencies, the same codes, and bandwidth they with interoperate.

The reality is if you are not a "radio" guy and only use your radios infrequently or like 99% of people do, there is no reason not to use the $25 radios. They are even type certified and clean ones out now, and they are still around $25.

Shawn