Handheld Radio Recommendations - Ham+FRS+GRMS models

• HTML tutorial

Enthusiast III

Chandler, AZ
First Name
Jake
Last Name
McCurdy
There are so many Baofeng and Baofeng knockoffs on Amazon it's hard to choose. I'd like to get a unit that can talk GMRS and FRS and have a higher TX rating (5-8w on high). The Boafeng's are about twice as much as the other manufactures for the same model. I even saw one today with a 10w claimed TX from one of the non-Boafeng brands

Can anyone tell me if the UV-5R or UV-S9 can talk to all three (Ham, GMRS, FRS) and has anyone had good luck with the other brands like TIDRadio? We don't wheel with groups often, I just want to be able to talk to our cheap family walkies around camp and have the ability to grow into Ham / GMRS usage for emergencies and comms in the future.

This one looks cheap enough and comes in a flashy red color... which is good, because everyone knows red things are more powerful... - https://amzn.to/33odrRx

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
From my understanding the three platforms cannot talk to each other by design. On my Ham radio I have all the GRMS frequencies programmed so I can listen, but I could not talk to anyone broadcasting on those GRMS channels. I'd have to pick up my GMRS to talk back. I have the UV-5R (as well as other makes and models) and out of the box only talks back to other Ham radios. If you stick with GRMS, you can use the one license for your entire immediate family.

haaken675

Rank II

Enthusiast III

fl
First Name
Large
Last Name
J
Yeah, I saw that mentioned but if you are on 1w mode and I buy the GRMS license, wouldn't that make it legal to talk to any FRS?
I believe its the fact that its a handheld with a removable antenna, and has the ability to be programmed to talk on those frequencies. Then again, the government doesn't care about stopping looters and rioters, so is anyone really going to come after you?

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
The issue isn't GMRS+FRS, such radios already exist. The problem is no matter what you do or have it's not legal to operate a ham radio on GMRS/FRS frequencies. Doesn't matter what license you hold. The FCC prohibits using amateur radios on non-amateur radio frequencies.

Enthusiast III

Chandler, AZ
First Name
Jake
Last Name
McCurdy
The issue isn't GMRS+FRS, such radios already exist. The problem is no matter what you do or have it's not legal to operate a ham radio on GMRS/FRS frequencies. Doesn't matter what license you hold. The FCC prohibits using amateur radios on non-amateur radio frequencies.
Found a great overview of the legal issues here:

• Love
Reactions: M Rose and DRAX

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Yeah, I saw that mentioned but if you are on 1w mode and I buy the GRMS license, wouldn't that make it legal to talk to any FRS?
The GMRS/FRS radios HAVE to be part 95 certified.

Part 95 Certification for GMRS radios

A§95.1761 GMRS transmitter certification.
(a) Each GMRS transmitter (a transmitter that operates or is intended to operate in the GMRS) must be certified in accordance with this subpart and part 2 of this chapter.

(b) A grant of equipment certification for the GMRS will not be issued for any GMRS transmitter type that fails to comply with the applicable rules in this subpart.

(c) No GMRS transmitter will be certified for use in the GMRS if it is equipped with a frequency capability not listed in §95.1763, unless such transmitter is also certified for use in another radio service for which the frequency is authorized and for which certification is also required. No GMRS transmitter will be certified for use in the GMRS if it is equipped with the capabilities to operate in services that do not require equipment certification, such as the Amateur Radio Service. All frequency determining circuitry (including crystals) and programming controls in each GMRS transmitter must be internal to the transmitter and must not be accessible from the exterior of the transmitter operating panel or from the exterior of the transmitter enclosure.

(d) Effective December 27, 2017, the Commission will no longer issue a grant of equipment authorization for hand-held portable unit transmitter types under both this subpart (GMRS) and subpart B of this part (FRS).

(e) Effective December 27, 2017, the Commission will no longer issue a grant of equipment authorization under this subpart (GMRS) for hand-held portable units if such units meet the requirements to be certified under subpart B of this part (FRS).

Part 95 Certification for FRS radios

§95.587 FRS additional requirements.
Each FRS transmitter type must be designed to meet the following additional requirements.

(a) Transmit frequency capability. FRS transmitter types must not be capable of transmitting on any frequency or channel other than those listed in §95.563.

(b) Antenna. The antenna of each FRS transmitter type must meet the following requirements.

(1) The antenna must be a non-removable integral part of the FRS transmitter type.

(2) The gain of the antenna must not exceed that of a half-wave dipole antenna.

(3) The antenna must be designed such that the electric field of the emitted waves is vertically polarized when the unit is operated in the normal orientation.

(c) Digital data transmissions. FRS transmitter types having the capability to transmit digital data must be designed to meet the following requirements.

(1) FRS units may transmit digital data containing location information, or requesting location information from one or more other FRS or GMRS units, or containing a brief text message to another specific FRS or GMRS unit or units.

(2) Digital data transmissions must be initiated by a manual action or command of the operator, except that FRS units may be designed to automatically respond with location data upon receiving an interrogation request from another FRS unit or a GMRS unit.

(3) Digital data transmissions must not exceed one second in duration.

(4) Digital data transmissions must not be sent more frequently than one digital data transmission within a thirty-second period, except that an FRS unit may automatically respond to more than one interrogation request received within a thirty-second period.

(d) Packet mode. FRS transmitter types must not be capable of transmitting data in the store-and-forward packet operation mode.

(e) Effective September 30, 2019, no person shall manufacture or import hand-held portable radio equipment capable of operating under this subpart (FRS) and other licensed or licensed-by-rule services in this chapter (part 15 unlicensed equipment authorizations are permitted if consistent with part 15 rules).

Reactions: Things and brien