• HTML tutorial

BenditoMonte

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Nogales, Sonora
Member #

Good morning fellas

I'm in the need of some sort of communication, it has to be handheld and cheap, I got t be honest here, I dont know nothing about the subject.
the main use will be communicating between 2 cars in a convoy and in cattle rides in a ranch, it needs to have at least a 20 mile radius to cover the ranch area, I will be buying 2 devices (2 cars, 2 cowboys).

what do you think it would suit my needs?
thanks

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Some GMRS handhelds would work ok between cars in a convoy but within close range as the antenna would be inside the vehicle. An external antenna on each vehicle would be better however I am not sure if any of the current GMRS handhelds offer the ability to add an external antenna. They are allowed too but the radio itself may not have a removable factory antenna.

20 miles may be a bit much to cover with just a handheld, if one was a base station with an antenna at a reasonable height it would probably work fine. In VHF and UHF (GMRS is UHF) frequencies they are line of sight and antenna height it king.

Craig Schueren

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

El Paso, TX
First Name
Craig
Last Name
Schueren
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Midland GMRS and get the larger antenna for the vehicles and you shouldn’t have issues. They are coming out with new handhelds and I would trust them.

With the stock antenna I have gotten 15 miles perfectly.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Don't forget you need a license to use GMRS. Depending on the size of your operation and the amount of need you have, a GMRS repeater could really improve your range out there but that's quite a bit of added expense.

WareWolf MoonWall

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Green Country, OK
First Name
WareWolf
Last Name
MoonWall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Direct Message Me..
Cobra has a GMRS / Marine HT which has the ability to attach a vehicle mounted antenna. This is because the device is not restricted by FRS regulations, and thus requires a GMRS license to operate. It's also around $100 per HT.

Since nobody touched on it specifically, one of the restrictions of FRS communication to get FCC type certified, is that the radio is fixed to the device.

94Cruiser

Rank VI
Launch Member

Explorer I

Suisun City, California
Member #

Pfft cheap baufeng uv-5r radios. You'd need a license for either gmrs or ham, so just go with the ham. I've gotten them to work in the 10 mile line of sight range, and they can also hit repeaters and are completely programmable. If you get external antennas, they'll go much further.

Reactions: Craig Schueren